Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Will North Sylva treat the Steyr L9 A1 future owners better than the M9 A1 ones?

I bought my m9 a1 a year ago from SFRC. It had 2/3 fte per mag. I contacted them and they told me Northsylva was importer and I should contact them for warranty issues, Jeff Chow @ Nsylva sent me out an new extractor, spring and beveled plunger. I also got the extractor kit from Steyr USA. All three extractors i now have are slightly different in shape, claw angle and width. From my trials and errors the north sylva extractor with the dome plunger and new extractor spring from usa combined with a wolf spring did the trick for me. Shoots great now. Join STEYR CLUB.com lots of good info there about fixing, cleaning and dissembling the M9 a1 . Brownells #969-000-125wb it is by WOLFF GUNSPRINGS mfr part number 26132 , a 3 pack of springs for 7.49. Stick this spring inside of the steyr spring and cut the access off flush or a hair longer. Then reinstall in gun with the dome plunger. Tip is to do the install in large zip lock bag because spring could fly off and get lost.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-par...prod26224.aspx[QUOTE=KeNd0;8345385]Is it this one?

this is the one ... ht tp://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/frame-parts/frame-hardware/plunger-spring-assemblies/1911-auto-plunger-tube-spring-prod26224.aspx

when I installed it I did not cut anything off of the spring, I installed it as is.

glad to see North Sylva finally taking care of some waranty with steyr, when I tried going through them they had no idea what updated parts I was talking about even after I told them to contact austria and the email replies stopped.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ...

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I bought my 2008 (BOT) from wolverine last year and haven't had a single failure in over 1k rounds.

Since we are the dealer that sold the firearm to the OP I thought I'd reply to his thread. North Sylva had the gun there for warranty work on it. They found that it had one or two defective magazines so they replaced them. They were unable to reproduce the FTE issue the the OP was having. I decided to give the OP a refund on the firearm as he wasn't happy with it and I didn't want a customer constantly second guessing his firearm. The OP didn't even want it back from North Sylva to see if they fixed it if I remember correctly. He was contacted in a timely fashion about how to send it in for warranty work etc. I know this as I was standing beside the person at North Sylva (Rob) when they contacted him shortly after the issues started.

As to the rail being out of spec, I'm not sure what to say about that. The OP sent me many many emails with measurements and pictures about how his picatinny rail wasn't in spec. He even sent me a picture showing how his picatinny mount optic wouldn't fit....see below.

Since it came back I have fired about 10 boxes of ammo through that firearm with no issues....on a side note I like the sights on the Steyrs. I also have a Blackhawk weapons light on it which fit with no issues. See below.

Just so everyone has a time frame, the firearm was dropped off at North Sylva on Dec 5th, OP contacted me on Dec 14th saying North Sylva was done with it but he didn't want it back. On the 17th of Dec he emailed his registration details and we transferred it back/refunded him shortly after.

All of this said, sorry you had a problem with your purchase. I thought we had everything sorted out for you until I just saw this post.
    Last edited by Chemist; 02-25-2013 at 12:31 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer critter928's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
    Since we are the dealer that sold the firearm to the OP I thought I'd reply to his thread. North Sylva had the gun there for warranty work on it. They found that it had one or two defective magazines so they replaced them. They were unable to reproduce the FTE issue the the OP was having. I decided to give the OP a refund on the firearm as he wasn't happy with it and I didn't want a customer constantly second guessing his firearm. The OP didn't even want it back from North Sylva to see if they fixed it if I remember correctly. He was contacted in a timely fashion about how to send it in for warranty work etc. I know this as I was standing beside the person at North Sylva (Rob) when they contacted him shortly after the issues started.

As to the rail being out of spec, I'm not sure what to say about that. The OP sent me many many emails with measurements and pictures about how his picatinny rail wasn't in spec. He even sent me a picture showing how his picatinny mount optic wouldn't fit....see below.

Since it came back I have fired about 10 boxes of ammo through that firearm with no issues....on a side note I like the sights on the Steyrs. I also have a Blackhawk weapons light on it which fit with no issues. See below.

Just so everyone has a time frame, the firearm was dropped off at North Sylva on Dec 5th, OP contacted me on Dec 14th saying North Sylva was done with it but he didn't want it back. On the 17th of Dec he emailed his registration details and we transferred it back/refunded him shortly after.

All of this said, sorry you had a problem with your purchase. I thought we had everything sorted out for you until I just saw this post.
    and there is the "other side". Thanks Ryan for giving it.

PS - could you post some more pics of the Eotech he had on the picanty rail, lol
    "For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions, even on important subjects, which I once thought right but found to be otherwise." - Benjamin Franklin

Hey Ryan, when do you expect to have L9A1s on the website? I know North Sylva said expected delivery sometime in Feb. Just wondering if you have a timeframe for when you might get your hands on them.
    I 'advise' you to learn how to spell 'advice'.

BANNED
    Hi Ryan,

Thank you again for accepting to take the gun back for a full refund.

The problem was obviously with North Sylva: As you can see in this thread there was at least another person who had received replacement parts to fix his Steyr`s FTE. North Sylva did not do the same for mine. I had tried the gun with all three mags I had and all gave the same bad results. Of course, I had cleaned and lubed it thoroughly many times.

I used the Eotech just to show the rail problem (of course it`s not for a bottom rail); the Streamlight did not allow for a good photo, it covered too much of the rail.

Better it is to display here the measurements I did with the Styer M9 A1 and my Beretta 96 A1, both compared to the Picatinny standards.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer critter928's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CristianM View Post
    Hi Ryan,

Thank you again for accepting to take the gun back for a full refund.

The problem was obviously with North Sylva: As you can see in this thread there was at least another person who had received replacement parts to fix his Steyr`s FTE. North Sylva did not do the same for mine. I had tried the gun with all three mags I had and all gave the same bad results. Of course, I had cleaned and lubed it thoroughly many times.

I used the Eotech just to show the rail problem (of course it`s not for a bottom rail); the Streamlight did not allow for a good photo, it covered too much of the rail.

Better it is to display here the measurements I did with the Styer M9 A1 and my Beretta 96 A1, both compared to the Picatinny standards.

Well, North Sylvia told you it is a proprietary rail system,

For the Picatinny rail, they came up with the story that, actually, it was not a Picatinny one but a "Steyr proprietary rail". As all Canadian dealers sell the M9 A1s imported by North Sylva as having Picatinny rails, they said the ads were incorrect.
    Steyr itself make no claim to it being a picatinny rail;

http://www.steyrarms.com/products/sp...r-pistol-m-a1/

The pistol’s frame also has proprietary mounting rails for attaching accessories, such as a tactical light or laser pointer.
    The store you bought in from makes no such claim of it being a picatinny rail;

http://www.theammosource.com/index.p...oducts_id=1054
    Steyr M9A1 9mm with 2 mags and hard case.
    Impact and corrosion resistant POLYMER frame, with integrated rail on lower forearm, for mounting illumination devices. MANNOX™ surface treatment, 99% salt water resistant. Trigger safety, drop safety, loaded chamber indicators and limiting trigger access lock.
    Nor have I seen any other retailer saying it is a picatinny rail.

Simple web searches for Steyr M9 and rail, will get you hits on everything from "proprietary rail" to aftermarket adapters.

I think you failed at doing research.

And for the record, Steyr is not the only one who does this, and the whole H&K USP series used a proprietary rail as well.

Some lights and aftermarket accessories made for picatinny rails may work, others not. It is not your guns problem, it is the buyer who expected it to despite it being marketed as being a proprietary rail and no mention of claiming to be picatinny.

Now from what I have seen, you have been more than accommodated by both North Sylvia, and the retailer you bought it from, SFRC.

Now if Ryan says it works fine after North Sylvia fixed it by changing out some magazines, and you have not claimed to have verified this, but still don't want it back then Ryan has gone above and beyond by offering to refund you your money which from my point of view, is more likely from "buyers remorse" than a non-functioning pistol.
    "For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions, even on important subjects, which I once thought right but found to be otherwise." - Benjamin Franklin

Glad NS has come around. When I first needed a spring on my m40 they were little help. Jeff @Steyr USA was great, but wanted the spring installed by a Steyr Rep. Ended up bringing part of sub frame to gunsmith in US to have broken spring replaced. Lot of phone calls/emails to get a replacement spring no bigger than a dime. Will look at 1911 spring kit. Do love these guns and I should add my second Steyr M series came from SFRC and I put 1000 rounds through it with zero issues. Took it to Black Badge and I became the "should have bought a CZ poster child of the weekend". Half way through the day the FTE's and light strikes started. A good cleaning fixes it up. They seem to have tight chambers that leave tiny brass shavings that create problems after accumulating. Haven't given up on them just wish it was easier to get factory replacement parts.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Getting splinters from the wedge.

Pure awesome. Ready to ####e on NS, but then get schooled. Awesome.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast