Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Will North Sylva treat the Steyr L9 A1 future owners better than the M9 A1 ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Islay View Post
    Interesting; thanks. Although I don't experience this behaviour with my Glock, I haven't considered this. Will definitely have to consciously think about this next outing. Will either solve this particular problem or rule it out...
    The Steyr is particularly sensitive to it, I found.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarvy View Post
    The Steyr is particularly sensitive to it, I found.
    The Steyr does seem to be a particularly picky handgun, doesn't it? I very much want to get these issues sorted out as I love the feel and it's one of my more accurate shooters. But until I gain back confidence, it's hardly something I want to use in competition.
    CCFR Member & CSSA Member • “Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.” - HST

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Canada tail's Avatar
    Typical north sylva bs. I ll share my story later on.
    Quote Originally Posted by CristianM View Post
    A few months ago I bought a brand new Steyr M9 A1. It looked nice, impressive ergonomics, trigger OK but when I started to shoot ... it was failing to eject like crazy, especially with 115 gr ammo. I followed the dealer advice and ran more rounds through it to break it in; the same, maybe even worse. At the same time I was not able to install a Streamlight laser / flashlight on it (which had been installed perfectly on other brands). I measured the Picatinny rail and ... it was completely out of specs.

I took the gun to North Sylva under warranty, with very detailed explanations, photos and measurements. They didn't do ANYTHING. For the FTE problem they said they couldn't reproduce it, although I had given them many photos with empty cases stuck inside. For the Picatinny rail, they came up with the story that, actually, it was not a Picatinny one but a "Steyr proprietary rail". As all Canadian dealers sell the M9 A1s imported by North Sylva as having Picatinny rails, they said the ads were incorrect.

Now, the truth:

1. For FTE, it is well known (research CGN Forum) that North Sylva had imported all M9 A1s from a batch with problems. Some of the guns in this batch (not all) have FTE. For these, the solution is to replace the rail spring and the extractor. I was not the first one with FTE problems, I even knew before buying I could hit a junk, but I took the chance having been informed UPFRONT that North Sylva would replace any faulty parts. However they didn't want to do it.

2. For the rail, the old M9s had indeed a Steyr proprietary rail but the M9 A1s were designed and manufactured with Picatinnys. (Anyway, the rail measurements were even farther away from the so-called Steyr proprietary rail.) It looks like North Sylva doesn't know this and did not even bother to call Steyr for clarifications.

I was lucky to have bought the gun from a very nice and honest dealer: SFRC. They took it back and gave me a full refund.

I am not at all pleased to be obliged to criticise a member of the Canadian firearm business, so I have been reluctant up to now to post this info. However, seeing the enthusiasm many CGN fellows have for the new L9 A1 imported as well by North Sylva (I understand, the 9 mm Steyr handguns look and feel special) I don’t think it would be fair towards them to keep all this hidden.

Besides the fact that this thread is almost 1.5 years old and has been revived for some reason, have a look at post #24...it explains a lot.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
    Besides the fact that this thread is almost 1.5 years old and has been revived for some reason, have a look at post #24...it explains a lot.

Ryan
    Hope it's not bad form to revive a thread; I was just adding interest to problem I too am experiencing. Thought it best rather than linking multiple references in a new thread.

What's your preferred way to discuss a couple of issues? As stated, I really (really!) like the L9A1. The aesthetics, feel, and accuracy make it a damned decent pistol. Ideally, I'd like to solve a couple of niggling issues that stop it from being a favourite and a possible competition shooter.
    CCFR Member & CSSA Member • “Freedom is something that dies unless it's used.” - HST

I was referring more to the people quoting the OP's original post, not the questions. It may be better to start a new thread because the OP
    issues were with an M9. That way it's just about the gun and any issues you are having.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Islay View Post
    Hope it's not bad form to revive a thread; I was just adding interest to problem I too am experiencing. Thought it best rather than linking multiple references in a new thread.

What's your preferred way to discuss a couple of issues? As stated, I really (really!) like the L9A1. The aesthetics, feel, and accuracy make it a damned decent pistol. Ideally, I'd like to solve a couple of niggling issues that stop it from being a favourite and a possible competition shooter.

Some customers is so hard to please ,no matter what you do, I wonder sometimes where these people work and what kind of business they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chemist View Post

Ryan
    FREEDOM IS EVERYTHINK

Quote Originally Posted by jobbass View Post
    Some customers is so hard to please ,no matter what you do, I wonder sometimes where these people work and what kind of business they do.
    Government? Or Union.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567