Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Will North Sylva treat the Steyr L9 A1 future owners better than the M9 A1 ones?

I see lots of stuff about the original M9 having a proprietary rail, but the manual for the A1 says picatinny.

http://www.steyrarms.com/fileadmin/u...M-A1_US_05.pdf

Page 6.

Or are we talking about something altogether different?

There were some mags that received 40cal springs from the factory which will cause problems.
    Anyone interested in a steyr should really go to steyrclub.com and do some research ... anything and everything related to steyr handguns is discussed in length. They explain whats good and bad about every model released and how to fix any problem you may encounter. If your looking for some aftermarket parts, BigTaco a forum member sells a few parts that do work and has no probelms shipping to canada, make sure you let him know its a canadian steyr and the year as the strikers from the USA and Canada differ.
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSyd View Post
    I see lots of stuff about the original M9 having a proprietary rail, but the manual for the A1 says picatinny.
    I believe I can help you with this. The original M9 is not the M9A1. It is a dark blue colour, not gray like the M9A1, and it has a rail which is a pretty "wacko" proprietary thing with rectangle shaped indentations that the light clips into (try finding the light to fit that now... collector's item). These were made from about 1999-2003. The MA1's were made from about 2004-2008. Then they were not made for the better part of a couple years, and then in 2010 Steyr came out with the redesigned MA1's with a new trigger and extractor. The hallmark of these new guns is the left-right roll pin under the rear sight, and "W" as the middle letter in the 3-digit date code. We have yet to see these in Canada. The old blue ones (like below) there are some of these in Canada but they always have some kind of threaded or extended barrel, as they are from after the prohib cut-off and too short for our laws. The 2004-2008 ones are what you always see. Hopefully we will see the new ones at some point.

That is what I was originally getting at. The Steyrs being sold in Canada are all 2004-2008 models. It would be nice to get the newer product with improved parts. I bought my second m40 new in 2011. Its a 2005 model.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Getting splinters from the wedge.

Damn I would have at least had the firearm returned to me with the new mags to see if that fixed it...
    I am in the process of trying to get a response from NS so I can send a defective firearm to them to fix... but hell I want my firearm back so I can get to the range with it, good thing it can't be the mags for mine though lol I bought an extra 5 mags.

BANNED
    I am sorry "critter928" but you are wrong:

Quote Originally Posted by critter928 View Post
    Well, North Sylvia told you it is a proprietary rail system,
    ... and they were in error. The "Steyr proprietary rail" was on the Ms only, not the M-A1s. It looked like this ("ghostie" also clarified with a photo):

Steyr itself make no claim to it being a picatinny rail;
    Yes, they do. If you go for manuals at Steyr.com you'll see this for the M-A1s:

The store you bought in from makes no such claim of it being a picatinny rail;
    They did when I bought it, not anymore after this case.

Nor have I seen any other retailer saying it is a picatinny rail.
    Look better. At Wanstalls, for instance:

Simple web searches for Steyr M9 and rail, will get you hits on everything from "proprietary rail" to aftermarket adapters.

I think you failed at doing research.
    No offense but ...

Now, thanking everybody who posted on this thread, see this older one as well:

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...ion-Steyr-M-A1

Conclusion:
    The Steyr M9 A1s North Sylva imported into Canada were at the latest manufactured in 2008. Some of them had FTE issues. It shouldn't be the job of the owner of a BRAND NEW gun to run from the importer to Steyr in USA, in Austria, on Mars, spend time and money to fix it. At the worst, the warranty owner (in this case North Sylva) should fix it, at the best they could have PREVENTIVELY retrofit extractors and springs for the whole batch.

As for the rail, measurements presented above speak quite clearly. I saw that I could have worked a little with a file on the rail to adapt that particular Streamlight; but would anyone guarantee that any other Picatinny device would fit in the future?

It is such a shame, because this is a real sweet gun. In my case, I bought afterwards a H&K P30L V1 (sure, almost double in price) which, simply put, deserves more than the AWESOME adjective.

Let's hope the new L9-A1 batch is better.

Quote Originally Posted by CristianM View Post
    It shouldn't be the job of the owner of a BRAND NEW gun to run from the importer to Steyr in USA, in Austria, on Mars, spend time and money to fix it.
    Normally I'm a pretty big advocate of holding business's feet to the fire - However, I don't expect a distributor or dealer to run 500 rounds through every gun to check if it's one of the few with a manufacturers defect - NS fixed your gun pretty quickly and then SFRC took it back for a full refund anyway - Seems to me to be exemplary customer service on both counts.

So that aside, it looks like your only remaining complaint is about a slightly off-spec bottom rail.

I own an 08' M40-A1 and an 02' M9. The M40-A1 is awesome on every level and the older M9 has had all the spring/extractor updates and would likely outshoot any G17 on the planet. I'm eagerly awaiting the new L model,but wouldn't hesitate to buy any generation of the M. These pistols are leaps and bounds ahead of most polymer framed guns on the market. I like all pistols, every manufacturer has its good and bad, but once the new L model starts hitting Canadian ranges...a lot of jaws are gonna drop

Any update on the arrival at all? I need one asap!

Quote Originally Posted by adrian118 View Post
    Any update on the arrival at all? I need one asap!
    Yes! The L9A1's are now in stock.

You can order through any local dealer. I will be posting some pics, I'm just trying to find the time to do so.

Thanks,

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast