Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: M14, M305, M1A magazines neutering method

sorry to ask (hopefully not a stupid question) but these 5/20 round mags , can they be made full 20 round cap , by removing the rivet , or is there more to it , I realise in Canada the limit is 5 , but in NZ with the right endorsement I can have 20 round mags , but people over here are selling em for $175.00 nzd each ......
    if I could get some from Canada ...... hmmmm

Yes, the rivet is the limiting factor. You might have to smooth out a burr, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy-kiwi View Post
    sorry to ask (hopefully not a stupid question) but these 5/20 round mags , can they be made full 20 round cap , by removing the rivet , or is there more to it , I realise in Canada the limit is 5 , but in NZ with the right endorsement I can have 20 round mags , but people over here are selling em for $175.00 nzd each ......
    Wow thats expensive! If I pack a dozen of those into my suitcase..it will pay for my flight to NZ...assuming its legal to import them.
    C.S.S.A. + C.C. F.R.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    The 'more to it' is a function of our gun laws. All civilian owned centrefire semiautomic rifle magazines must be limited to 5-rounds. The obvious exception that comes to mind is the 8-shot M1 Garand "clip". As well, there is some lawyer language about how the conversion has to be permanent, but the legislators left agreeing on the conversion method to the courts. The RCMP Firearms Lab' made several recommendations, such as welding an interference plunger or tab, cutting a blocking notch, and fusing the body of plastic mags with solvent. The most common choice is to measure and drill a hole, then squeeze in an ordinary Pop River to limit the follower travel.

To answer your other question, removing the rivet will casue society to collapse, dogs and cats will play together, the earth will cease to rotate on its access and butterflies to fall from the skies. It is a big deal with serious legal consequences. Law abiding shooters buy extra magazines and practice their mag' changing drills to compensate for the inconvenience.
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by maple_leaf_eh View Post
    To answer your other question, removing the rivet will casue society to collapse, dogs and cats will play together, the earth will cease to rotate on its access and butterflies to fall from the skies. It is a big deal with serious legal consequences. Law abiding shooters buy extra magazines and practice their mag' changing drills to compensate for the inconvenience.
    Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!

Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...

The dead rising from the grave!

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

I've got both riveted and not. The ones without the rivets the floor plates do come off. There's a long, triangular piece of sheet metal welded to the follower. It would be pretty easy to remove, but like stated above, I'm not interested in societal collapse.
    Last edited by cobra_on_speed; 05-12-2014 at 12:11 PM.

I may just have to "get " a couple of these very dangerous magazines ...... the very moment I remove that rivet , I will hear my saskatchewans wifes family cry in terror ......oh the horror ..... so , can no one have a hi cap mag or do you need a special endorsement on your licence ? .....mags are effin expensive here , I just bought 3 30 round ar15 mags ,second hand for $285.00 nzd ......

CGN Regular
    I may just have to "get " a couple of these very dangerous magazines ...... the very moment I remove that rivet , I will hear my saskatchewans wifes family cry in terror ......oh the horror ..... so , can no one have a hi cap mag or do you need a special endorsement on your licence ? .....mags are effin expensive here , I just bought 3 30 round ar15 mags ,second hand for $285.00 nzd ......
    Are you sure there isn't some nefarious import law preventing easy importing of magazines?

Those prices make me think that importing full capacity mags are tough. It surprises me some enterprising NZ business hasn't filled out the ITAR paperwork and started importing PMAGs by the boat load.

Many on these boards would likely send you pinned mags if there is no export/import issue. Hell, someone here could buy you a Beta C-Mag with a screw acting as the rivet and send it your way.

I will have to look into it . cheers

GunNutz
    When I lived in NZ (for 6 1/2 years) I was advised by the popo firearms ossifers that a 25 round magazine for my 10-22 converted it to a MSSA (military style semi-automatic) and was a no-no... However, if I had a 77-22 (bolt action) it was legal and "A" cat.

In NZ the magazine capacity for semiautomatic centrefire rifles is 7. And they don't allow the M1 in because it's an 8-rounder, and there's no allowances made.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast