Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: M14, M305, M1A magazines neutering method

Quote Originally Posted by TacticalTeacher View Post
    If you drill out that rivet, yer dick will fall off !

Cheers and keep helping them noobies out there!

Barney
    Yiep, I swear I could hear you saying that...

Could someone do me a favor, and measure how far down the rivet needs to be (as in how far down to the center of the hole I'll need to drill for the rivet) for a functional 5 round mag? I'd still like to repin mine, but will need to know where to pin them. Thanks!

When I get home, I'll try to.

Quote Originally Posted by DOOK View Post
    When I get home, I'll try to.
    Thanks Dook!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer maple_leaf_eh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamfyre View Post
    Yesterday I stopped by International Shooting Supplies and found that they had a bin full of new Norinco M14 20/5 magazines. No welds on the floorplate and no rivets nor crimps. These are my favorite kind; the ones that do the limiting with a long metal strip spot welded to the bottom of the follower. Easy to completely disassemble. I bought one for $39.99 + tax.
    One effective method of limiting any box magazine is exactly as described above, with a pin, rod or fin attached to the bottom of the follower. The box does not have any rivet heads sticking out and potentially blocking a tight magazine well, or weld spots as thoroughly discussed (disgusted?) previously.
    Jean Charest after coming a distant second to Pierre Poilievre. “You deserve a clean slate and the opportunity to unite the membership. ... Only Liberals benefit from a divided (Conservative Party).” Will the malcontents listen?

Quote Originally Posted by Angel9000 View Post
    Thanks Dook!
    OK, measuring from the top of the block, not top of mag is 1 7/8" to center of the rivet. Stock m14 mag. ( or 47.5mm )
    Hope that helps.

Thanks! I'll get myself a rivet set this week and try it.. Fingers crossed! Having to go from 5 to 4 to use the mags is a big deal when your only starting with 5 to begin with! (and spending another $300+ on mags is just dumb..lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Paper Tango View Post
    Did you get the KCIs? How did they fit? Any feeding issues?
    Wow I'm behind on this one....May 2014....I can't remember what make they are. Fit is excellent, no issues. Only issue I ever had was some fail to feeds. Last time I striped the rifle down I found the op rod spring guide wasn't pined in the proper spot. Put it together the right way and works flawlessly..... (spring guide install was a fail on my part the last time I cleaned it, easy mistake)

Well, an update. I picked up a mastercrappy cheapo hand riveter today. Spent some time this eve installing rivets at 47mm (I found that I could get a 6th round into the mag at 47.5mm, not that it would function that way...). I had to drill out the pressed stops. So now my half price mags all function with 5 rounds in them, even inserting them into the rifle on a closed bolt. I am a happy man! Its pretty obvious what I did to the mags. 3 fairly large holes in the mags, and a rivet. Oh well, a little ugly, but works far better now. Many thanks Dook, for measuring that up for me!

No problem Brother. Glad it worked out for you.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast