Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Firearm Ban in Australia - People from USA should see this video

Business Member
    It might be interesting to post videos like these on the 4GT website too. If someone can provide the video file it would be appreciated.

Team 4GT
    www.4GT.ca
    4GT@4Gt.ca

Just what we need, a Canadian telling the last free country on earth how to license firearm owners. Troll, if you need to question how laws are applied, look at the peoples democratic republic of Canada and leave the free people in the USA alone.

Quote Originally Posted by cdill View Post
    It's time to go take your government mandated Soma pill.

Crime rates did increase in the UK after the gun ban there, and the instance of home invasion with owners present did increase. These increases occurred mostly in rural parts (since not in the city it was irrelevant for the media and did not affect overall numbers when taken as a whole of the UK).

AS for your link to salon.com.....I am not familiar with this news outlet, but it comes across sounding like the Star here in Canada. So I guess you believe that the UN is not looking to ban private firearm ownership the world over then huh? It's right there in that so called "news article".

CD
    The point of my post is that we don't have to rely on asininity to make our case, the facts speak for themselves. Gun bans don't work.

Your UK information is interesting, but means nothing unless you can back it up with something stronger than your assertion (you should read the harvard article I posted, it talks about the UK experience in detail).

I should have added a caveat to the salon article though, * the views expressed in this article there do not represent my own - linked only to provide some insight and perspective for the educated reader.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwater View Post
    Come on people, this film was a fundraising infomercial made by the NRA in the year 2000 and is primarily unadulterated bull####. The current stats actually work AGAINST the film's hypothesis, so dont be content to believe propaganda and tinfoil hat nonsense. Arm yourselves with the facts, and use them as a weapon to keep responsible gun ownership legal and free from unreasonable restriction.

The scientific evidence suggests that gun control does not effect violent crime, one way or the other. It does suggest however, that nations afflicted with violent crime tend to restrict gun ownership. In other words, If violent crime in Austrailia did rise after the buy back of 1996-1997, the crime rates would have gone up regardless of a gun ban. The ban itself was likely had a neutral crime effect, serving only to frustrate and punish previously legal gun owners. The crime rate itself, was due to other unaddressed socioeconomic conditions, while the public and government chose to waste time and money on an ineffectual gun ban without addressing the real root of the problem. Bottom line - GUN BANS DONT WORK.

Knowledge is power, and can win this battle. Relying on propaganda, unqualified assertions, and emotionally based opinions makes us no better than the antis.

Here is a well researched and sourced article for those interested:

http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/...useronline.pdf

the Australian experience - stats show no clear effect effect of any kind on violent crime following gun ban. Violent crime is lower now than it was before 1996.

http://moveleft.org/dog_ban/br_j_criminology_2006_.pdf
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/...400366681.html
    http://www.aic.gov.au/dataTools/fact...olentRate.html

Some backstory behind the film itself:

http://www.salon.com/2000/04/03/nra_3/
    Good post. And I agree with your sentiments re:facts over propaganda.
    I had to laugh when someone responded stating that he'd never heard of salon.com, and then suggesting that it's a rag.
    "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi

Don't care. Laugh at me. I was laughed at by the majority when I ran for office and even mentioned gun control and crime issues outside of the circle of gun owners.
    Fact is I am fed up with this GD country, and even more am fed up with the so-called ""western world".
    Whatever we get, we deserve as a collective whole. Too bad I am going to have to suffer along with the rest.
    Sorry for not knowing about salon.com for I am a f*****g dinosaur!!!

If you think you can win over hearts and minds of Canuckistanites by facts, then please, do go out and run for office and spout out those facts. I am sure you will have sheep following you in no time at all.

I now know why most of the members from the beginning are no longer posting on here. And it just results in infractions when emotions run high. At least there is nothing infractionable in my posts lately.

CD
    Guns are like potato chips....you can never have just one.

Never trust a politician who says, "trust me".

I will never get used to Big Brother looking over my shoulder!

I have seen the future.................and it SUCKS!!!!
    (born in the wrong time & place)

Theme songs:
    "I Wanna Go Back" by Eddie Money http://www.lyricsdownload.com/eddie-...ck-lyrics.html
    "Dream On" by Aerosmith http://www.lyricsfreak.com/a/aerosmi..._20004389.html

Quote Originally Posted by cdill View Post
    Don't care. Laugh at me. I was laughed at by the majority when I ran for office and even mentioned gun control and crime issues outside of the circle of gun owners.
    Fact is I am fed up with this GD country, and even more am fed up with the so-called ""western world".
    Whatever we get, we deserve as a collective whole. Too bad I am going to have to suffer along with the rest.
    Sorry for not knowing about salon.com for I am a f*****g dinosaur!!!

If you think you can win over hearts and minds of Canuckistanites by facts, then please, do go out and run for office and spout out those facts. I am sure you will have sheep following you in no time at all.

I now know why most of the members from the beginning are no longer posting on here. And it just results in infractions when emotions run high. At least there is nothing infractionable in my posts lately.

CD
    Actually, and sadly, it's pretty clear that the masses are much more swayed by rumour, hyperbole and anecdotal evidence than good solid empirical evidence and rational analysis (eg/ the article posted by Harvard Law found above)
    "Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest." - Mohandas Gandhi

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567