Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New Back Stop

The Shooting Edge - CGN Sponsor TSE JR's Avatar
    To be blunt:

I am not concerned with the backstop. I am concerned with the baffles.

I stopped .223 sales and use as there were a LOT of holes on range A (mostly members side) and this posed a real possibility for rounds to leave the building.

Yes, you can buy frangible in a lot of places, but we also found a number of members refilling boxes of frang with other .223. This again posed serious safety concerns and most of the holes.

If I was made aware that any staff member was letting in outside Frangible, I would have fired them as well. This is a blatant violation of one of the conditions applied to us by the Ontario CFO to even let is use frangible in our range. This is well posted and the staff and member put us all in jeopardy by ignoring this.

Contracts have been signed and work will begin in the next few months on the backstops, baffles and HVAC with all work to be completed within 10-14 weeks (yes, weeks). It is a complicated, project with lots of moving parts and coordination to be undertaking.

However, even after completion I will be limiting the use of centrefire rifle cartidges to certain times as we want to encourage families with young'ins to come in. A line full of 7.5 inch ARs will not do that.

If anyone wants to leave because they feel slighted, I am happy to refund a prorated membership fee. Simply contact me directly and I will organize this without haste.

These range upgrades are costing almost $400k and will give this facility a new lease on life with increased safety and versatility. They will also provide the shooters with greatly increased comforts such as air cooling during the summer.

The majority of snide complaints I hear at Target from members about the walk ins are completely unfounded. The safety issues we have are not with the newwbies, they are almost exclusively the old guard... Complacency breeds mistakes.

I am extremely happy with the Target facility and want to make it the best possible range, but it takes a commitment from the unsupervised members to not shoot it up and ruin a good thing for everyone.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

The Shooting Edge, Target Sports Canada, William Evans

Quote Originally Posted by luckey View Post
    As a new member still waiting for CLSC, I agreed with JR's priority assessment on the ventilation because even though some members said that they never had any problem for years, I still see the ROs and some members wearing full RESPIRATORS and masks. Since lead fume/dust is almost invisible and subject to personal sensitivity, it would be too late if you find out there are too high level of lead in your blood during your physical check-up.

We recently hired a medical OH&S firm to come in and test the air and location and are happy with the results for the public. Unfortunately, the levels for the staff if the work a 44 hour week IN the range, which is actuAlly impossible, but hey... Government policy, would expose them to too high an extended exposure, so we have to have the full time staff wear masks.

The new HVAC will aleviate this completely.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

Hey JR,

Great to hear on the improvements, especially on the new backstop! Once it is completed, will most centrefire rile cartridges be allowed for use on the range?

Quote Originally Posted by Spic View Post
    Hey JR,

Great to hear on the improvements, especially on the new backstop! Once it is completed, will most centrefire rile cartridges be allowed for use on the range?
    This will depend completely on the Ontario CFO. We ahve not found them to be overly accommodating in the past, but we are hopeful.

JR
    \"J.R."\
    CEO

Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post
    We recently hired a medical OH&S firm to come in and test the air and location and are happy with the results for the public. Unfortunately, the levels for the staff if the work a 44 hour week IN the range, which is actuAlly impossible, but hey... Government policy, would expose them to too high an extended exposure, so we have to have the full time staff wear masks.

The new HVAC will aleviate this completely.

JR
    Any chance for a copy of that report?
    Audi, vide, tace, si tu vis vivere in pace.

Quote Originally Posted by TSE JR View Post

These range upgrades are costing almost $400k and will give this facility a new lease on life with increased safety and versatility. They will also provide the shooters with greatly increased comforts such as air cooling during the summer.

JR
    You forgot to mention heat in the winter.
    Audi, vide, tace, si tu vis vivere in pace.

In case people were not up to date they are renovating and normal ammo can be used once completed in May. Rifle and surplus time!

https://www.facebook.com/14789690352...tal_comments=5

CGN frequent flyer
    Hopefully we can shoot the .223 by June time frame. Even if it is going to be on a limited schedule basis, better than nothing.

CGN Regular
    Was in on Tuesday, looks like lots of work going on, can't wait until its finished!

The upgrades are looking awesome and the place is being seriously over built to give it another 20 years.

Heat in winter, cooling in summer

More versatility in calibres

Very clean air quality

The list of improvements goes on amd on. The new stalls and retrievers are the last on the list, but once we get things up amd running, will not be far behind.

While the backstop and baffles will be done over the next month or so, the HVAC is still being build and will not be installed until may or June.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a line. Jr@theedgegroup.ca
    \"J.R."\
    CEO