Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today at the TSE

I ducked for cover one time over at Poco when a fella swept the row with a brand spankin shiny new m4 style carbine.. magazine in the hole and everything. So I'm yelling for the R/O on the deck like I'm some brand new shaved head in battle school back east. So the R/O comes over and gives him both verbal barrels. Including the range safety rules, consequences of doing that again, and a pointed reminder of how unpopular that kind of thing is going to make him. End result. He plays it safe, and I get two hours of beady eyed stares ending with a murmured 'You pussy, the magazine was empty' in a cease fire.

I didn't say a damn thing. Duck, yell for the R/O, don't laugh. They might figure it out and either way you remain .223 hole free.
    1960's - Bond movie. Gun Ninjas. Think about it.

21.Only one sigline picture is allowed, and the height of the picture must be no more than 100 pixels

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_cgn_general_rules

CGN Ultra frequent flyer themikea's Avatar

Today at the TSE

Quote Originally Posted by PrivateerXTR View Post
    either way you remain .223 hole free.
    A good goal to strive for.
    Member of NFA, CSSA, CFI, NRA, CPC

CGN Regular
    Some people are indeed interesting at TSE...
    About a week ago, I was minding myself practicing some rapid fire drills with my pistols in one of the pistol bay. The newer guys and their guests next to me decide to join in, however, this one guy sets the target at 3m and starts punching holes in the ground. At first I thought it was just my eyes seeing things.... I went over and gently reminded the guy not to stop shooting the ground and he attempts to explain to me about the trajectory and how its SUPPOSE to hit the ground. Shortly after that I reminded him not to trash the place and we went our separate ways... interesting people...

i'm finding a lot of individuals prowling at indoor ranges and gun stores within major areas to be idiots that clearly either should not have passed their tests or clearly have no good intention in owning a gun.
    Only men of good will are capable of committing the most grievous of sins.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Max Owner's Avatar
    Displaced From South Western Ontario, To GP, Alberta. And back again...... And again.
    We all have a responsibility to speak up. For your own safety. For others. And for gettting new shooters started in the right direction.

And remember, its not what you say, but how you say it. Meaning don't come across cursing/swearing/yelling at the new guy/gal.

Typed as a former range officer at my local club.
    Shooter and Collector (kinda)

Never Forget Best Friends.

Aug 30, 2008.
    Dec 29, 2008.

CGN frequent flyer MustangFrank's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Owner View Post
    We all have a responsibility to speak up. For your own safety. For others. And for gettting new shooters started in the right direction.

And remember, its not what you say, but how you say it. Meaning don't come across cursing/swearing/yelling at the new guy/gal.

Typed as a former range officer at my local club.
    Exactly !! All this yelling and overt responses to unsafe gun handling will only confuse and excite someone who is already confused and unsafe. Be calm, explain, and correct. Combat breath. Move on.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bollox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haha49 View Post
    I had someone point a handgun at me and I said please don't point that at me I don't like it he said don't worry it's not loaded with his finger on the trigger I said I don't care If it's loaded or not because if you don't stop mine will be loaded and pointing back. He went O ok and stopped. I said it in a nice way I don't like any firearm pointed at me unless I know it's unloaded and that would have to be done by me. Turns out he pointed it down range pulled the trigger after saying see it's unloaded and it went bang. He went woah crap sorry. I said that's how accidents happen he went yah no kidding.

Things happen at the range and I've been hit by a bullet before I don't plan on it happening again. Now it hit the floor the ceiling the floor the ceiling the back wall then it did floor and ceiling again and it hit me on the other side of the range after she was told don't shoot the floor the bullets will come back her friend said shoot the floor and she did she was banned from the range for life because she was told that. I did walk down the to the other side of the range and I said excuse me would you like your bullet back it just hit me. She went woah I didn't know it would do that. The range officer that was with her just told her not to do it and she did it anyways. Now granted it was so slow that it bounced off but that's not the point I still got shot...
    Your posts always brighten my day..... wow...

BANNED
    Equally unbelievable: you are attributing a line from a DH Lawrence poem to a fictional character from a Demi Moore movie.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangFrank View Post
    Congratulations ! That has to be the most unbelievable post ever. Nice.

...I said I don't care If it's loaded or not because if you don't stop mine will be loaded and pointing back. He went O ok and stopped. I said it in a nice way...
    I'm still trying to figure out how someone threatens someone else with ballistic perforation "in a nice way"... "Pardon me, sir. You seem a pleasant enough fellow - well groomed, good dental hygene, probably love your mom and the flag. It would truly break my heart to shoot you."

Max and Frank have nailed it. Gentle, calm, firm, clear. Abstain from threats and shouting. People don't respond well to being "dressed down", but are often far more open to discrete, diplomatic redirection. I was at the Drayton Valley Rifleman's Rodeo a few years ago, and met a fellow walking onto the range form the parking lot with a closed rifle, muzzle parallel to the ground. I smiled at him, said hello, welcomed him to the range, and then mentioned that folks here are very careful about safety. Asked that he please open his rifle and be mindful of muzzle direction. He took it well. We were both smiling when we parted ways, and he was no worse for wear.

The shouty drill-seargant crap has its place. This ain't it.
    Last edited by Dark Alley Dan; 04-20-2013 at 02:35 PM.
    Grammar is like personal hygiene - you can ignore it if you like, but don't be surprised when people make assumptions about you.

Quote Originally Posted by curseyou View Post
    I had a kindly gentleman who pointed an M1A at me at the range while figuring out how it worked. (Loaded!) I pointed it out to him. "Arrrrgh watch where you point that thing!" and he was not only apologetic, but immediately and for the remainder of the session continuously apologetic and continue to display proper technique. There was no poor attitude, and he was willing to own up to his mistake and make corrections. He sat out for 30 minutes to collect his thoughts and regain focus. (He was griping about a bad divorce) Other members took the time to help this guy out for the rest of the day, and he was happy to accept proper tutelage. Mistakes happen and you own up to them. I'm ok with simple corrective measures and a short observation period to ensure the lesson is learned. Bad mistakes and a poor attitude I cannot tolerate. It says that not only are you not fessing up to your mistakes, but that you don't care about the health of your fellow shooters, the welfare of your club, the status of shooting in Canada and you are unwilling to learn. The sport doesn't need anyone like that.
    Well said.
    Mantra of Authority: "Do as I say, not as I do".

Bullfight critics, ranked in rows, Crowd the enormous plaza full.
    But only one is there who knows, And he’s the man that fights the bull.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast