Page 1 of 14 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: XCR-L spare parts kit recommendations

XCR-L spare parts kit recommendations

Dear Wolverine,

I am interested in buying a bunch of parts for my XCR-L for repairing it in the event of a failure. I would appreciate if you could put together a list of "most likely to fail" components so I know what to order. Off the top of my head, I know it should include recoil buffers & firing pin. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I assume you must have experience with what parts have failed more than others. Once you have this list together, I will immediately place an order with you. My XCR-L is both .223 Rem & 6.8mm SPC if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.
    "If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems"
    Member: CSSA & the über-powerful CGN Gun Lobby
    كافر

I'm also interested in this, .223 Rem.

Thanks

Sponsoring Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by AWOL View Post
    Dear Wolverine,

I am interested in buying a bunch of parts for my XCR-L for repairing it in the event of a failure. I would appreciate if you could put together a list of "most likely to fail" components so I know what to order. Off the top of my head, I know it should include recoil buffers & firing pin. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I assume you must have experience with what parts have failed more than others. Once you have this list together, I will immediately place an order with you. My XCR-L is both .223 Rem & 6.8mm SPC if it makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.
    Hi AWOL,
    At the current time Robinson Armament does not provide a field repair kit. If you would like to compose a list of the parts you require and E-mail it to sales@wolverinesupplies.com we would be more than happy to help you out.

I may be beating a dead horse here, but I think there are a number of potential buyers for shorter barrels for the various XCR's, namely 11" or 12" for the "L" platform.

BANNED
    They don't sell parts kits? That is silly. I will be contacting you guys later this summer about rounding up some spare parts.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sprint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geer_Hoor View Post
    I may be beating a dead horse here, but I think there are a number of potential buyers for shorter barrels for the various XCR's, namely 11" or 12" for the "L" platform.

I have seen some notions floated around about how making short barrels available might somehow enable someone to defy the law.

Sounds like absolute posh to me. The entire upper is:
    • interchangeable
    • commonly available in mini and micro variations with short assed barrels
    • not the registered part

GH: What you suggest is extremely attractive to me because of the full length gas system, Full length monolithic upper. Shorter, lightweight Barrel and a fix for that retarded off-of-center balance that makes it that much less competitive for shooting games .

Personally, I could care less about the restricted re-classification because I predominantly shoot at ranges.
    Last edited by sprint; 04-23-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Hey Sprint, thanks. I personally didn't look at it as trying to defy the law, or somehow sneak my way around it. I also own a dpms panther and would seriously consider putting a 20" upper on it, but even in doing that, it would not make that firearm non-restricted... the lower being the registered part would remain restricted. My comment is that I would love the option to own an 11 or 12" threaded barrel. I've seen some photos and they're gorgeous. I even went to Robarms and asked how I could purchase a shorter barrel and I would have to go through the ATF and given that I'm Canadian its a no-go. I wouldnt care about registering a barrel either as that is where I shoot too. I realize that there is a small but diehard group of XCR owners, but that the fact that robarms already makes the barrels why couldn't a company like Wolverine import them and we just register the barrel?

The way the registration system works only the lower can be registered as it's the only part that is serialized. If you wanted to put a shorter barrel on your XCR the whole rifle would have to be re-registered as a restricted firearm subject to all the restricted rules.
    Doesn't it make lots of sense that you can have two identical pieces of hardware with one restricted and one non-restricted just because of the length of the barrel that was installed when they were imported? It doesn't have to be logical, it's the law!

Quote Originally Posted by Geer_Hoor View Post
    I wouldnt care about registering a barrel either as that is where I shoot too. I realize that there is a small but diehard group of XCR owners, but that the fact that robarms already makes the barrels why couldn't a company like Wolverine import them and we just register the barrel?
    Last edited by zerodb; 04-23-2013 at 09:30 PM. Reason: fixed typo

CGN Regular
    Getting back to what the OP was talking about here guys...

I have two xcr's on hand and of the two they have seen a decent amount of shooting. Failures/issues are looking to come out of these areas that I have noted so far.

First off being the rubber recoil buffer in the rear of the lower, get like a bucket of these if you shoot a large amount, other wise a few should last your lifetime pretty much.

Second a firing pin no doubt as this is always a stressed part, though I have yet to see one fail.

Third a gas tube as it is rather cheap and not always the best machining on them (had to file down excess/pointy metal on some I have received) and people often somehow dent or bend them in ways (don't ask me how and not saying you will lol)

Fourth the whole piece you use to adjust your gas settings and that sees all the carbon build up, this part will eventually get very caked in carbon if you don't clean it especially. May want a replacement in case you want a fresh one again.

Fifth the bolt catch that comes up from your magwell. Often the action will slam shut on me when holding just the grip and hitting the stock with a light bump with my palm or just inserting a loaded magazine (not hammering it home either), my xcr is awating a new one from wolverine right now actually, though I am weary that it will fix the issue. I say this because, I have even had brand new ones come from dealers that didn't fix the problem at all, literally install and insert loaded mag (or just set it on a table with the action open) and it slams home without you touching the release or the operating handle. Ill have it sitting on the bench sometimes and it will simply suddenly slam shut while no ones near it and its on a bi-pod, not the range officers favorite thing to see happening either when its a cease fire. TBH getting sick of trying to figure this issue out and Robinson Arms wont get back to me, so Wolverine if you have any input on that issue please share. I have had gunsmiths look at it and they see nothing wrong. I have a new as of december xcr and a late 2011 model, both do it, even after installing new catches. both 7.62x39 with all stock internals and nothing done to the upper or lower or barrel. I am absolutely wishing for a solution but I see none in sight.

And finally based off a odd report I heard at the range recently, an operating rod, as apparently one had actually snapped close to where the carrier attaches to the op rod, I did not see it myself and this is the first case I have heard of so really this one is up to you mostly..
    +WTB: WW2 Stuff: SA garand stock (full wood w/ cartouche). Garand OPROD

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine Supplies View Post
    Hi AWOL,
    At the current time Robinson Armament does not provide a field repair kit. If you would like to compose a list of the parts you require and E-mail it to sales@wolverinesupplies.com we would be more than happy to help you out.
    I understand that. I was actually hoping that you, as a supplier of Robinson Arms products, would have hands on experience with the most common (typical) parts that wear out or fail. If you, from your experience, compile a list of recommended spare parts and associated costs, I would by it from you. Let's call it "Deluxe Wolverine Recommended Replacement Parts For The XCR Repair Kit". You are the experts and I will take your advice. Thanks
    "If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems"
    Member: CSSA & the über-powerful CGN Gun Lobby
    كافر

Page 1 of 14 12345678911 ... LastLast