Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 24/7 G2 - thumb safety not "crisp" when SA mode engaged - normal?

BANNED

Taurus 24/7 G2 - thumb safety not "crisp" when SA mode engaged - normal?

Hey Sean, hope you're well,

I've just noticed this on my 24/7 G2 and I don't know if its abnormal or not.

When the gun is in DA mode (before the first shot is fired), the thumb safety rises to a crisp stop when engaged. You can hear and feel a sharp "click" when it reaches the upwards position.

But when the SA mode is activated after the first shot, if I want to put the safety on in that mode, well...the crispiness of the safety is gone. It appears very flimsy when engaged and even just a slight touch disengages it. This obviously is a bit of a concern, since i'd expect the safety to be especially sturdy when in SA mode.

Could this be a problem specific to my gun or is it part of the way it was engineered? Have you heard of this before?

Cheers

BANNED
    Btt. Anything on this Sean? I'd like to hear from you before I consider sending it back to you for warranty work.

Freedom Ventures - CGN Sponsor Freedom Ventures's Avatar
    I just checked a new one and when in single action mode, the safety does click into engagement the same as DA mode.

We don't do the warranty repairs; Taurus doesn't send us the parts.
    As of January 1, 2013 - they have an official Canadian Warranty Centre;
    Snapshots in Montreal. Snapshots does the warranty work for Ruger now and my dealings with them has always been excellent.
    They're good people.

Their contact info is:
    Snapshots Inc.
    650, rang Roy
    Sainte‐Martine (Québec)
    J0S 1V0
    Tel. (450) 427‐0052
    Fax : (514) 838‐8227
    Email: snapshots@videotron.ca

Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/freedom.ventures.92
    Follow us on Instagram at https://instagram.com/freedom_ventures/

Please do not PM- email us at sales@freedomventures.ca

www.freedomventures.ca (902) 455-5483

BANNED
    Thanks for the info Sean, much appreciated. I'll call them up.

BANNED
    I got a hold of Paul at Snapshots, and thought i'd share the info in case it can help someone else.

Paul also tried the safety on the 24/7 G2 he had, and it clicked into position both in DA and SA mode as it should.

He opened the gun to have a quick look at the safety components. then he reassembled the gun, and to his own surprise, the safety didn't click into position in SA mode anymore either.

Turns out there is a very small bearing in there (about the size of a 7 1/2 lead shot) that fell out the gun when he took the slide off. He didn't even notice it at first.
    So head up to 24/7 G2 owners, if you encounter this problem, you're looking for a grain of sand .

Freedom Ventures - CGN Sponsor Freedom Ventures's Avatar
    Thanks for posting that.

FYI - for other readers - "Paul" there is Paul Barrette, gun guy for many movies including one of the Punisher movies, master gunsmith who's built countless precision IPSC guns and even a past IPSC National Champ. He knows his stuff.

Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/freedom.ventures.92
    Follow us on Instagram at https://instagram.com/freedom_ventures/

Please do not PM- email us at sales@freedomventures.ca

www.freedomventures.ca (902) 455-5483

BANNED
    New info in, so I'll share it to keep this thread as informative as possible.

Spoke to the nice folks at Snapshot today again, and after ordering a new bearing and installing it, the problem was not resolved.
    Turns out the safety was also abnormally bent.

They have ordered a new one.

Thanks for the info, I've been looking for a stainless 24/7 but haven't had any luck finding one. Does the bearing fall out just from a field strip? Have you had any other issues?
    Might reconsider purchasing one of that's the case.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Roniinn View Post
    Thanks for the info, I've been looking for a stainless 24/7 but haven't had any luck finding one. Does the bearing fall out just from a field strip? Have you had any other issues?
    Might reconsider purchasing one of that's the case.
    Absolutely zero issues aside from this one. Very reliable shooter. I really love it.

I'm not sure how the bearing fell out to begin with, so i can't say if its only from a field strip or not. Thing is, the safety might have been bent prior, making space for the bearing to fall out. Even if thats the case, no idea how the safety got bent.

Both before I bought the gun and before I made this thread, I read lots and lots of reviews. It doesn't seem like the problem has been brought up anywhere else. So I don't think you should be too worried about it.

Thanks again, if you have any suggestions where I can find a stainless 24/7 G2 it would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Roniinn; 10-05-2013 at 02:07 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast