Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AGW Linear Brake (VZ 7.62x39) Review

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Hokus Grey's Avatar

AGW Linear Brake (VZ 7.62x39) Review

OK, so this won't be a full on review, with pictures, videos, side by side comparisons and ballistic data. I'm not OCD nerdly like that. I did however run this brake on a recent carbine course with Phase Line Green and here are my experiences and what I took away.

First off, this is a well made, solid piece. It's not too big, or too long, or too heavy. I have found some of the other aftermarket brakes for the VZ to be enormous and add unwanted weight to an already extended barrel on the NR guns. The one thing I did notice was the lack of a detent for the brake pin on the VZ and I wondered about using a crush washer, or just tourquing in on. I asked on CGN, but didn't get any reply, so I decided to just tourque it on and run it. I kept and eye on it closely.

I put it on my rifle and hit the local range to sight in before leaving and I must say this brake performed very well. In an enclosed shooting area such as we have at Wapiti Shooters Club in Grande Prairie, AB; you really feel and hear the blast from brakes. The AGW Linear brake did a great job of projecting the blast forward and keeping muzzle rise to almost nil. It did almost feel like it had a bit more push, but less felt recoil, but that could be my imagination. Either way, I liked how it performed.

For Phase Line Green's two day course, I probably put about 600-700 rounds through the brake and loved it. It was quieter for other shooters on the line, shot flat, deadened some felt recoil and allowed for faster follow up shots. It did however, require constant babysitting. After every evolution, I found it had backed off a bit and no matter how hard I wrenched the f*cker on there, it would still eventually back off. Fact is, checking the brake became part of my manual of arms before and after every drill, but the brake performed so well, I didn't really mind this a whole bunch.

All in all, I'll say that this is one of the best brakes out there for the VZ series of rifles. I'm going to dremel a little detent into mine so that the brake pin can seat properly and it will not back out, but I will be leaving it on the gun, without a doubt.

Great work AGW!
    #BeLoveCreateProtect

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Great positive review Hokus.

Do you think on a relatively permanent installation (as in for the life of a barrel), a healthy dose of Loctite would solve the problem?

I have the same brake and I've had the same problem with it backing off. Hopefully newer ones will incorporate a notch at the base

Revolted
    We are working on the drawings for the next run. We will be incorporating notches for sure. We will also be running LH threads for the AK and a couple others that use the LH thead. Will also be doing 5/8-24 on the same brake. Also a .223 version for the .223 VZ. Hopefully by the end of July. Our Kydex holster orders have been taking up more time than expected, but we have those under control now.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Hokus Grey's Avatar
    I am reluctant to put locktite on any muzzle. Not that I haven't thought about it, but the VZ has a brake pin for a reason.
    #BeLoveCreateProtect

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone-wolf's Avatar
    Guess I will wait for the next gen of em, just for the notch!
    The wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Hokus Grey View Post
    I am reluctant to put locktite on any muzzle. Not that I haven't thought about it, but the VZ has a brake pin for a reason.
    Blue loctite on them is useless anyways since it stops working with heat.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Gun Works View Post
    We are working on the drawings for the next run. We will be incorporating notches for sure. We will also be running LH threads for the AK and a couple others that use the LH thead. Will also be doing 5/8-24 on the same brake. Also a .223 version for the .223 VZ. Hopefully by the end of July. Our Kydex holster orders have been taking up more time than expected, but we have those under control now.
    is it possible to incorporate a blast/expantion chamber ala krinkov flash hider into design? I would live to have krinkov flash hider because it has an expantion chamber to help with more reliable cycling of the very short barreled rifles. But for some reason NEA is no longer makes them. Let us know if you might make something similar to original AK-74 u flash hider with expansion chamber. thanks.

It worries me that not enough people worry!

http://youtu.be/DioQooFIcgE

CGN Regular
    It worries me that not enough people worry!

http://youtu.be/DioQooFIcgE

X2 like that is nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast