Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 24567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Now Available... FEG P9M's

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tjhaile's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckbuster View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I cannot remove the slide release lever for disassembly. I've pretty near put holes in a couple of fingers trying to push it out of the frame, but it won't come out. Anybody got any tips?
    Are you pulling back the slide and using the safety to lock it back in the second, take-down notch? If so, the tab on the slide stop that engages the magazine follower should be lined up with the front notch and thus able to clear the slide rail. If it is stiff due to being a new gun, try pushing on the slide stop pin with a rigid object.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chuckbuster's Avatar
    Not far enough north of Premier Orville Reddenbacher
    Yes, I am following the takedown procedure. However, I have found what seems to be the problem. There seems to be a bit of a metal burr that is preventing the rearward portion of the lever from clearing the frame. I had to use a thin tool to gently lift the lever over the burr. It probably can't be seen too well in the pictures, but the burr is easily felt with a finger. But, it's a minor inconvenience and hopefully will disappear with wear.

But I am curious about another issue. I have called Questar and sent them an email via their contact page. They were closed for the day, and so hopefully, I will hear back tomorrow. But, I am going to post an additional pic or two here of the issue for reference just in case they didn't make it through cyberspace via Questar's contact page. The issue is...is the following a crack in the chamber area, or a machine mark? Running a fingernail across the line, results in the nail catching.

Last edited by Chuckbuster; 07-09-2013 at 06:44 PM.
    Look to your front! Mark your target when it comes.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tjhaile's Avatar
    It's a two-piece barrel, just like the ones made by FN.

Quote Originally Posted by tjhaile View Post
    It's a two-piece barrel, just like the ones made by FN.
    Aahh...I was completely unaware of that. So that is completely normal then? If so, I just learned something new. Thanks.

Yep, 2 piece barrel, supposedly to ease manufacturing....

I suspect that at least some of us, myself included, are going to be getting some hammer bite. Did you get any hickeys or is your grip low enough to avoid it? I think, I will be using a shooting glove when I try mine out.
    No hammer bite for me but its bloody close.
    Killing the buzz since 2005.

Received mine today; overall finish looks very good. I've noticed two issues though. Recoil Spring housing of the slide (didn't know what that area is called, where the recoil spring plug would be in a 1911) came out a bit wavy out of the mill and front sight a bit crooked to the right. I would give a 9 + overall.

This gun has the heaviest trigger I've squeezed last 20 years. Only other gun that I shot with a heavier trigger was a Webley & Scott .32 Automatic. Hope removing the magazine safety and reducing the weight of the first stage will be enough to achieve a decent trigger. It has a very crisp break so I'm hopeful; though that could be attributed to the very heavy pull... We'll find out once I get to make those changes.

Front of the barrel has bit of a play when in battery position. We'll see how that will effect accuracy when I take it to the range.

So far happy with the purchase, wife actually asked me why I didn't buy two which made my day...

Yes, I am following the takedown procedure. However, I have found what seems to be the problem. There seems to be a bit of a metal burr that is preventing the rearward portion of the lever from clearing the frame. I had to use a thin tool to gently lift the lever over the burr. It probably can't be seen too well in the pictures, but the burr is easily felt with a finger. But, it's a minor inconvenience and hopefully will disappear with wear.

But I am curious about another issue. I have called Questar and sent them an email via their contact page. They were closed for the day, and so hopefully, I will hear back tomorrow. But, I am going to post an additional pic or two here of the issue for reference just in case they didn't make it through cyberspace via Questar's contact page. The issue is...is the following a crack in the chamber area, or a machine mark? Running a fingernail across the line, results in the nail catching.

Design of the gun requires user to lift the slide release up (towards the top of the slide) while pushing it out from the other side. Once slide is locked by thumb safety in second position, I grab front of the gun with my left palm, use my left thump to lift the slide release up and use right index finger to push the rod out towards me. If yours require excessive force while doing this, might as well take it to a gunsmith so he can clear that burr with couple file strokes and refinish.

1911 style guns has plungers to hold/support slide release and thumb safety, so they won't go out during operation (though I've operated guns while fine tuning without plunger tube in place, they never went out). HP's design has that notch to keep the slide release in place.

Quote Originally Posted by desporterizer View Post
    No hammer bite for me but its bloody close.
    Good to know! But, I tend to have a very high hold, and in grasping the gun normally and then cocking the hammer with my other hand, the spur touches that tender bit of flesh between forefinger and thumb...so, I think it'll be "no glovin', no lovin'"... Thus a shooting glove will be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by aakoksal View Post
    Design of the gun requires user to lift the slide release up (towards the top of the slide) while pushing it out from the other side. Once slide is locked by thumb safety in second position, I grab front of the gun with my left palm, use my left thump to lift the slide release up and use right index finger to push the rod out towards me. If yours require excessive force while doing this, might as well take it to a gunsmith so he can clear that burr with couple file strokes and refinish.

1911 style guns has plungers to hold/support slide release and thumb safety, so they won't go out during operation (though I've operated guns while fine tuning without plunger tube in place, they never went out). HP's design has that notch to keep the slide release in place.
    Raising the release up towards the slide doesn't work. I had to lift the lever out towards me with a covered screwdriver blade to clear the burr. Once literally "over the hump", the lever was able to be easily removed as per the manual and your description. It's small, but tactile and just big enough to prevent the lever from clearing the frame.

How does your feed ramp look? Mine is uneven and also has a couple of burrs at the bottom where it meets the cartridge nose. I'll see how it shoots first before I worry about that. Otherwise, the fit and finish on the gun is excellent. I love the richness and darkness of the bluing. My trigger is also heavy, but I expected that.

I keep hearing about removing the mag disconnect. A couple of questions...how do you go about doing so? Will that improve trigger pull? And, will that allow mags to drop free?