Page 52 of 63 FirstFirst ... 3242444546474849505152535455565758596062 ... LastLast

Thread: ***OFFICIAL*** FAMAE SG 542 SEMI-AUTO .308 is NON-RESTRICTED **ACCEPTING PRE-ORDERS**

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    ^^I wonder how easy/hard it is to take off the barrel for that kind of work....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer HeadDamage's Avatar
    My SG542 is in with my smith friend for barrel treading and gas block mods. It is not an easy barrel to work on, it is skinny barrel and it is threaded into the receiver. My smith is making a jig to hold the barrel and receiver so that he can turn the whole assembly at a unit on a lathe to tread the barrel. I mention that he barrel is skinny because it is too skinny to tread for normal 7.62x51 flashhiders, there would be no shoulder for the unit to tighten up against.
    Remember remember early December
    Coalition, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why coalition, treason
    Should ever be forgot...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadDamage View Post
    My SG542 is in with my smith friend for barrel treading and gas block mods. It is not an easy barrel to work on, it is skinny barrel and it is threaded into the receiver. My smith is making a jig to hold the barrel and receiver so that he can turn the whole assembly at a unit on a lathe to tread the barrel. I mention that he barrel is skinny because it is too skinny to tread for normal 7.62x51 flashhiders, there would be no shoulder for the unit to tighten up against.
    Hmmm....That's interesting. So it looks like the barrel can't be unscrewed from the receiver? Too bad that there isn't a device (or maybe there is) like a pencil sharpener where one can just shove the muzzle in it and get a threaded end out of it without any disassembly.

If I recall correctly, your flash hider moved/wobbled ever so slightly between shots--affecting accuracy? I haven't even seen a 542 (in the flesh) yet, so bear with the following (speculative) question: Do you think it possible to put a second roll pin on the opposite side (I'm assuming it's either on top or bottom, left or right side of hider) to prevent the "wobble" you experienced?

The barrel could be unthreaded but you would need to make a fixture to hold and support the receiver in a vice. This is an option and is how I changed the old barrel on my swissarms rifle. In this case my smith is doing the work and has some plan that does not involve removing the barrel but supporting the entire barrel and action in the lathe.

Yes my flashider was loose, it likely could have been fixed by installing slightly larger pins (I don't recall them being roll pins, I believe they where sold pins). This should have tightened the hider up but my smith was interested in taking on treading it and we found that the barrel is exactly the same diameter as an FN FAL so he is installing a FAL flashider, I'll be able to use my old FN FAL bayonet this way.
    Should ever be forgot...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadDamage View Post
    The barrel could be unthreaded but you would need to make a fixture to hold and support the receiver in a vice. This is an option and is how I changed the old barrel on my swissarms rifle. In this case my smith is doing the work and has some plan that does not involve removing the barrel but supporting the entire barrel and action in the lathe.

Yes my flashider was loose, it likely could have been fixed by installing slightly larger pins (I don't recall them being roll pins, I believe they where sold pins). This should have tightened the hider up but my smith was interested in taking on treading it and we found that the barrel is exactly the same diameter as an FN FAL so he is installing a FAL flashider, I'll be able to use my old FN FAL bayonet this way.
    Do you mean soldered pins/set screws? (see bolded area).
    Btw, Thanks for your input I've seen "stubby" FN hiders that kinda resemble HK G-3 hiders --I presume you are going to use the L1A1 type hider?
    Let us know how it works out!

The pins are similar to those used to hold the gas block on an ar15 but smaller, not sure if they had a taper to them. Yes L1A1 hider.
    Should ever be forgot...

Ten days until the end of September...

Quote Originally Posted by JDForBrkFst View Post
    Ten days until the end of September...
    Website now says delivery in October. So if anyone actually thought they would show in September, sorry, we're going to have to wait a bit longer. I don't really have a problem with the delays to be perfectly honest, this happens every time I order some new firearm that isn't in yet. I think the biggest problem is the .
    poor communication on the part of tactical imports. They have the contact information, it wouldn't be hard to send an email blast every once in a while to assuage our concerns. If you give someone money and they say something is going to be delivered on such and such a date, I think it's important to directly contact that person if it's going to be a lot longer. Rather than having to internet search, etc., for info.
    Last edited by ferrari308gts; 09-21-2014 at 07:09 PM.

I wish I could afford one of these. That would take some serious money saving for a while...
    I reserve the right to reserve my rights.

It would be interesting to hear the truth about how/why this all happened, but I'm so not holding my breath.