Good tip!

Quote Originally Posted by blueflash View Post
If the spring is a regular coil type of spring, try making one. It only costs about $5 to make 50 springs if you buy music wire of the proper gauge (thickness of wire). I always make hard to find or expensive springs. Any music shop or piano tuning shop will have the type of wire that is needed. Then just get a piece of wood with a couple dowels in it and use a drill with another proper diameter dowel or similar round pc of steel that will wrap wire around it. ( old drill bits inserted backwards so the smooth round end sticks out ). Trial and error at first, but will cost pennies to a spring that might require a few inches of wire.

Google "how to make homade springs with music wire", or check youtooby for videos. Its easy to find videos or pics showing how to make a jig and how to make different types of springs.....once you learn how to do it, you will wish you learned how to make your own springs long ago. I keep about a dozen different gauge sizes of music wire in my shop to make any firearm spring I need, and have been gifted many free cases of beer over the years from friends with old rare guns that just needed a custom spring installed in a gun that would otherwise been a mantle piece.