$vboptions[bbtitle]

Page 1 of 18 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Interarms 308 Prototype (Dragunov)

Business Member

Interarms 308 Prototype (Dragunov)

Hello CGN Membership,

As promised:
    -This is the new thread for the 308 Dragunov prototype.
    -All updates will be posted to this thread and kept separate from the Interarms Model 2013 Sporter SPBAR 7.62x39 and 5.45x39.

Quick FYI on this concept:
    -At the request of several members on CGN we have started to explore making this rifle.
    -We are very early stages and need to procure several items to create a prototype (we do not have this prototype started aside from aesthetic design features and a few on hand parts).
    -We have discussed this with several of our Dealers and they agree it would be a great seller if it can be brought in at a reasonable price point.
    -We feel that we will be able to get a prototype in for FRT Classification this year.
    -We are not 100% on whether we could make a production lot for sale this year as there are still too many moving parts.

Step Forward:
    -With the recent purchase of Herrett Custom Stock Co. we now have the ability to produce a replica stock of the highest quality.
    -We have ordered barrel blanks and we will start with these parts first.
    -We have suitable magazines in stock.

Thoughts:
    -Due to name/trade infringements, this rifle would most likely be branded Interarms.
    -Please let us know what you think a reasonable price would be. Obviously we know very little about this gun so far so we will make some assumptions: milled and high quality parts, chromed barrels, high quality custom stocks.

This project is still at 30,000 feet but I will keep you posted as this concept moves forward.

Sincerely,

7.62x54R
    -gosse

Agreed this would likely be a good seller.

Uber Super Team Gunnutz Stevebot-7's Avatar
    Hmm. Could be interesting, especially if the cosmetic features like the gas system are removable, to allow for increased customization. Or would a welded gas block be an integral part of getting it approved? Who knows, if those parts are optional it might lower the production costs, and thus be good for everyone.

A 308/7.62x51 and a 7.62x54R version would be a great selection.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.
    Don't wait until too late. Contact your MP/Safety Minister/Prime Minister and call to abolish the Firearms Act. Ensure that we are never again victimized!

in .308, this definitely seems to be an interesting concept. Price point, what folks are willing to pay will be key. I think one problem I can foresee ....competing with the M305 Norinco price-wise. I know we are not talking about the same rifle, IE Dragunov vs. M14, however with a MSRP + tax and local pick up, anyone with a non restricted PAL can have this rifle for $510.00 out the door. I would keep this in mind moving forward. This rifle has a proven track record and is semi auto. Anyone thinking Dragunov or a Romi PSL, will also be thinking semi-auto, with a cool looking recoil absorbing stock with cheek riser and optics side mount. I am definitely keeping an eye on the progress of your concept!! Good luck

Good to hear. This is my all time dream rifle.
    Thanks for starting this thread.

I guess the biggest question everyone asks : What type of action will this rifle have?

As you mentioned in the 2013 Sporter thread, the design would incorporate a SPBAR action.
    Like the 2013 Sporter comments, there will oodles of CGN'ers requesting a semi-auto action.
    Feedback for a SPBAR Dragunov was positive, but people will still scream for a semi-auto.

Is the action type open for debate, or is this project slated to be SPBAR right from the get go?
    For the sake of a new thread and to minimize pages upon pages of complaining, I think this should be established asap.

Once the action type is established, discussion can move forward (ideally) onto other design aspects.

I've mentioned, I'd definitely buy a SPBAR action Dragunov. I'm always partial to Semi-Auto, but for a Dragunov style rifle I'd be happy with SPBAR.

Not to skip too far ahead. If this rifle is "Dragunov" style, I plead with the designer(s) to add a side mount rail for the POSP scope. A dragunov without a POSP is just not right.
    If a POSP rail is not in the cards, PLEASE leave room so the owner or gunsmith can add one as a modification. And PLEASE do not put serial #'s or caliber data on the receiver where a POSP rail would potentially be mounted... like the CZ858 I got the job done but, it was a royal PITA!

Sam makes a good point about competing with Norinco. But if you guys can produce something that looks and feels like the real deal (iconic stock, PSO-1 scope, wood furniture, etc.) you can keep it quality over quantity and have a higher price-point than the M305 and still have great sales.
    Looking forward to what you guys can do.

I'm very interested in this rifle, especially in .308/7.62x51 mm.
    NFA Member

I'd be up for this. There would be an even bigger market for it if you could make it in 7.62x54R since you'd get people who are into authenticity, and those who want a gun they can feed the same ammo as their Mosin.

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet Yukon1911's Avatar
    This will be interesting!

NFA/CSSA Member since the Swiss Arms Reclassification!

Page 1 of 18 12345678911 ... LastLast