Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3131516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Non-restricted firearms registration for Quebec customer

Expired Business
    GUNOHOLIC;

I am going to reply to your questions as sort as possible.... I thought I had covered your questions several different ways....

"The RCMP? The CFC?" YES and YES

" The Quebec CFO?," We do NOT answer to the Quebec CFO or any CFO the matter outside of Ontario....

"Some other agency?" No to this, are there other gencies that we are not aware of ??
    John

Expired Business
    [QUOTE=OccasionallyOnTarget;8912869] Obviously Marstar wanted to be careful and avoid violating any law, because the repercussions of making a mistake by not registering when it was supposed to far outweighed the repercussions of registering when it did not need to (ie, criminal or regulatory proceedings vs. angry customers). Now you are getting the picture.... Simply put we follow whatever regulations they come up with in an effort to stay in business.

Customers are entitled to be disappointed but it seems to me that there is no justification for a boycott or anything like that. That my friend is our customers decision, if by following the law we are to be boycotted, then so be it, what can we do or say ??

I think Marstar possibly could stand to learn the number one lesson of scandal though, always admit the mistake as soon as possible because denial and coverup make it appear FAR worse than it would have been had a frank admission been made right away. There was NO damn mistake, we simply followed the rules of the day.... How can I bet any more precise than that ??
    John

Expired Business
    GUNOHOLIC;

If Marstar did this as a CYA thing then they should admit that and say, "My bread and butter depends on my business license so I played it safe". I will repeat, repeat, repeat, we were NOT playing it safe, we were simply following the directives of the , many of which contradicted one another, but we did our best to follow the,

That would have put him in the same grey light as just about any other dealer in Canada who without a doubt played it safe also. Of course other dealers did the same thing, do you think they are crazy or want to risk their licenses ?

By virtue of the arbitrary powers bestowed by c-68 the penalties that can be imposed for even minor violations of the Firearms Act are potentially grave and life changing. Not to mention VERY costly $$$$

The Marstar rep didn't grant me the courtesy of a single response to any of the questions I asked on this thread and likewise for other CGN members. I have replied to as many of the posting as time allowed, I apologize if we did not get to questions fast enough....

He did however vector insults in a rather patronizing way in lieu of a factual response at some of the questioners.
    This implies a certain arrogance and perhaps a smidgin of contempt for the questioning members.
    I respect honesty and truthfulness and have a disdain for arrogance and smugness.
    I won't be dealing with Marstar any time soon. That sir is your privilege in a democracy.... John
    Others might have a different opinion.[/QUOTE]

Expired Business
    GUNOHOLIC;
    "The Marstar rep didn't grant me the courtesy of a single response to any of the questions I asked on this thread and likewise for other CGN members."

I don't think you are right, what about posts #25, #157, #221 and #223.... FOUR replies not counting this one ?? Or are you not the same person ????

John

Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    GUNOHOLIC;
    "The Marstar rep didn't grant me the courtesy of a single response to any of the questions I asked on this thread and likewise for other CGN members."

I don't think you are right, what about posts #25, #157, #221 and #223.... FOUR replies not counting this one ?? Or are you not the same person ????

John
    Low hanging fruit....

122 and 123 don't count as they are responses after the fact

25 and 157 are responses to his posts. Not answers to specific questions that address directly, said questions.

Hi John,
    i'm reminded of a old quote...."don't argue with an idiot, as they will only bring you down to their level". The people here who use tin foil for their baked potatoes and not a hat love ya!

all the best,
    mods.....inst there some rule against tin-foiling ffs..... nuke it?
    Last edited by SIGNUT; 07-17-2013 at 04:39 PM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote." Benjamin Franklin

PLEASE take a moment to read;
    Changes to business requirements for non-restricted firearms registration

- Revision -
    Special Bulletin for Businesses No. 79

May 25, 2012
    Snapshot

Implementation of Bill C-19, the Ending the Long-Gun Registry Act.
    Implications

The federal government amended the Criminal Code and the Firearms Act to eliminate the requirement to register non-restricted firearms as of April 5, 2012.

However, until further notice, due to a Quebec Superior Court order, Quebec residents are still required to register non-restricted firearms with the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program (CFP). Quebec businesses must also continue to register non-restricted firearms and record transfers of these firearms.

The interlocutory injunction means that the transfer of a non-restricted firearm entirely within Quebec (buyer and seller residents of Quebec) will continue to follow the normal transfer process of a non-restricted registered firearm.

However, in the case of a bi-provincial transfer of a non-restricted firearm involving a Quebec resident:

Seller = Non-Quebec resident / Buyer = Quebec resident: The seller is not required to report this transaction to the CFP. The buyer will be instructed to register the firearm via the registration process and not the transfer process (similar to the process for an importation of a new firearm). The registration record for the non-Quebec seller will be expired and eventually deleted.

Seller = Quebec resident / Buyer = Non-Quebec resident: When the Quebec seller informs the CFP of the transaction, the CFP will expire the Quebec registration certificate with a comment that the firearm has been sold (transferred) to a person/business not residing in Quebec. No information will be retained on the buyer.

Note for Quebec businesses only:

In order to facilitate high volume transfer transactions from a Quebec business to a non-Quebec business (such as the transfer of more than 10 firearms at a time), it is recommended that the business lists the firearms to be transferred in a spreadsheet format, and email this spreadsheet directly to: cfrimport_group@rcmp-grc.gc.ca. Please ensure this spreadsheet includes the Registration Certificate Number and the Firearms Identification Number of the firearms being transferred.

Individuals and businesses purchasing or otherwise acquiring firearms are still responsible for having a firearms licence, and businesses are still required to verify a purchaser’s licence. Businesses can still call the CFP’s toll-free number to confirm the validity of a purchaser’s licence before making a sale.

Reminders for Businesses:

When you call to check the validity of your Buyer’s Possession and Acquisition Licence, you will be required to provide the buyer’s licence number, name and date of birth.

Remember to update your employee list.

For more information, please contact the RCMP Canadian Firearms Program.

THIS is the latest set of instructions, blue is my emphasis....
    John
    Based on this alone: the responsibility to register said firearm lies with the buyer not the seller.

When/if the seller calls to verify a license, CFC requires number, name and DOB. Nothing more.

So, if end result is buyer gets a registration letter in the mail after a purchase, this means that the seller reported the firearm make, model and serial number when calling to verify PAL number, name and DOB.

Above cite states seller is not required to report sale.

Thus, a registration letter implies an error on the part of Marstar.

Please see my previous post regarding how this could have been handled.

Lastly, a word of advice. An error is only a mistake if it is not recognized and learned from. If it is recognized and learned from, then it was an opportunity.

Jason

BANNED
    I won't be dealing with Marstar any time soon. That sir is your privilege in a democracy.... John

BANNED
    It has more to do with living in a free society than in a democracy. If you consider another "democratic" society model, 50%-1 of the people keep being ruled by 50%+1. Democracy is just another form of tyranny.

my 0.2c.

Quote Originally Posted by x0ra View Post
    It has more to do with living in a free society than in a democracy. If you consider another "democratic" society model, 50%-1 of the people keep being ruled by 50%+1. Democracy is just another form of tyranny.

my 0.2c.
    Indeed. Lets not forget, witch hunts were democratic.....