Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: VZ 58 in .223 FAIL

What's with the grossly off-center firing pin strikes?

7.62x39 bolt?
    Whatever

CGN Ultra frequent flyer haha49's Avatar
    Ok for the slam fire take the bolt out and rattle it up and down could be a stuck or broken firing pin. It seems like it has a problem there that's why it slamed fired and didn't fire the round. Broken or stuck pin is 1 problem. Another could be magazine or ammo related as 90 percent of the function of the rifle is the magazine. Also if ammo bullets are being pushed in that could be caused by a few things 1 is a incorrect cut chamber another is a bad crimp on the bullet meaning it's easy to push in to test this take a round of ammo and try pushing it in by hand on a desk and see if you can push the bullet in to see how much force it actually takes. If it slides in easy it's most likely the ammo.

Hope that helps you fix it or gives you an idea of the problem as it might be just fine tuning that should of been done at the factory or a gun made on a off day.

Here is a video on how to take apart the bolt of the VZ 58 stuck pin would be my bet for the slam fire could be broken could be dirt who knows until you look at it.

[youtube]Q-vSb4xpQBM[/youtube]

Reloaded ammo with pistol primers instead of rifle primers can cause slam firing so if it's reloaded ammo they warn people not to do that as when the bolt slides forward the pin can come out because of the force hit the primer and fire and sometimes with pistol primers it will empty the magazine before it stops. Depends on the design of the rifle but that is why they warn people not to use pistol primers in rifles.

CGN Regular
    I have to say, I bought one of these about a month ago, and on Wednesday I'll finally be going out to break it in, and I'm really hoping I don't regret the purchase

CGN Regular
    I really think the issue is chamber dimension. Since i domt have case separation with 223 bit only with 5.56.

I am going to check the bolt and firing pin now... but like I said this is a new rifle I had to send it back to get fixed.... what I videoed was the "fixed" rifle. I used several different brands of ammunition , I had all kinds of different magazines, I cleaned the rifle(although I did not take the firing pin out) and these problems were also happening with the normal factory banana mags.
    Quote Originally Posted by haha49 View Post
    Ok for the slam fire take the bolt out and rattle it up and down could be a stuck or broken firing pin. It seems like it has a problem there that's why it slamed fired and didn't fire the round. Broken or stuck pin is 1 problem. Another could be magazine or ammo related as 90 percent of the function of the rifle is the magazine. Also if ammo bullets are being pushed in that could be caused by a few things 1 is a incorrect cut chamber another is a bad crimp on the bullet meaning it's easy to push in to test this take a round of ammo and try pushing it in by hand on a desk and see if you can push the bullet in to see how much force it actually takes. If it slides in easy it's most likely the ammo.

Hope that helps you fix it or gives you an idea of the problem as it might be just fine tuning that should of been done at the factory or a gun made on a off day.

Here is a video on how to take apart the bolt of the VZ 58 stuck pin would be my bet for the slam fire could be broken could be dirt who knows until you look at it.

Reloaded ammo with pistol primers instead of rifle primers can cause slam firing so if it's reloaded ammo they warn people not to do that as when the bolt slides forward the pin can come out because of the force hit the primer and fire and sometimes with pistol primers it will empty the magazine before it stops. Depends on the design of the rifle but that is why they warn people not to use pistol primers in rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin9934 View Post
    I really think the issue is chamber dimension. Since i domt have case separation with 223 bit only with 5.56.
    I wonder about chamber dimension as well. I wonder if anyone has measured or cast a chamber yet?

Ben

Well I took the extractor off pulled out the spring but .... well my firing pin is rock solid in there and I don't think I should be using a punch to push the firing pin out... any suggestions??

Quote Originally Posted by haha49 View Post

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    Keep tapping it out.^^^^^^^

My guess is the firing pin isnt long enough. Maybe not to spec cuz when I replaced my csa compact 7.62x39 firing pin with a cz one, it would actually strike the primer enough to ignite it and fire the round (when I can get a round into the chamber)
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer alter3d's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier270 View Post
    Well I took the extractor off pulled out the spring but .... well my firing pin is rock solid in there and I don't think I should be using a punch to push the firing pin out... any suggestions??
    I'd try soaking the whole bolt in your favourite cleaning solvent for a while to see if you can break up any crud in there. If the bolt is seized due to factory grease, dirt, etc, that should help unseize it.
    I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.
    ― Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobedience

This looks about correct, although you would think after they said " they replaced the firing pin just incase I would have no issues.... I took apart my CZ 858 ejector on bolt... it was easy peasy dropped right out I cleaned it up and put it back together (It has had over 2k rounds through it and the firing pin wasn't bad at all). All I can say is there is no FRACKING way someone replaced the firing pin in this rifle and if they did then there is a bigger issue wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by bfiles View Post
    Keep tapping it out.^^^^^^^

My guess is the firing pin isnt long enough. Maybe not to spec cuz when I replaced my csa compact 7.62x39 firing pin with a cz one, it would actually strike the primer enough to ignite it and fire the round (when I can get a round into the chamber)

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast