Page 1 of 11 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D Printed Magazine Body Extensions – FAQs, Requests, Reviews, Feedback

Expired Business Member

3D Printed Magazine Body Extensions – FAQs, Requests, Reviews, Feedback

Hey guys,

There has been a lot of interest in the 3D printed magazine extensions I’ve just begun to sell on the forum, and rather than answer common questions multiple times, I’m posting FAQs and opening this thread to field any additional questions or comments you might have.

If you have any other comments or concerns, reviews or feedback, post them here and I’ll try to reply to each one individually.
    Last edited by GSdesigns; 08-05-2013 at 02:13 PM.

Expired Business Member

FAQs

What are these for and what do they do?
    These body extensions are a floorplate replacement that increase the length of short magazines. They allow shorter magazines to be used with standard length magazine pouches, are easier to grip for magazine changes, and reduce the risk of damage to dropped magazines. They can also be printed in high visibility colours to make it easier to find magazines dropped in the field.

Do they hold rounds?
    The extensions do not hold any rounds, nor do they increase or decrease magazine capacity. They are floorplate replacements that mimic the contour of the short magazine and extend to a length similar to a standard length magazine. As with couplers, ranger plates, magazine pulls, etc. these don’t change the magazine capacity, and do not alter the magazine themselves.

How do they attach?
    They slide onto the hooks on the bottom of the magazine in a tongue and groove fashion. Similar to the couplers that are out there. You need to slide off the original floorplate, slide the extensions on, then secure the front of the extension with a screw.

What magazines are they compatible with?
    LAR-15, XCR-L, XCR-M, AIA

Are they interchangable?
    The extensions are only compatible with the magazines they are designed for and magazines with the same profile (i.e. an XCR-L extensions on a 5/10 round 7.62x39 magazine). Yes, a XCR-L extension could fit on a LAR-15 magazine, but the angle will be off and it will look and feel awkward.

Can you make some for my (insert gun name here) magazines?
    Most likely, yes, and I’d be happy to make some up for you. I just need a sample magazine to base the design off of, so if you can spare a mag or two (one short and one standard length preferably), ship them off to me and I’ll make some for you and send them back in a couple of weeks. Please note that the design really only works for magazines that have removable floorplates.
    Last edited by GSdesigns; 12-19-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Expired Business Member

Pricing and Orders

room for updates
    Last edited by GSdesigns; 08-01-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Expired Business Member
    *** Supply issues resolved ***
    Last edited by GSdesigns; 11-12-2013 at 01:45 PM.

CGN frequent flyer
    Ive been hunting for mags for my XCR in 7.62 that are longer than the stock 10 round mags. The short mags are too short to really be useable in any kind of pouch and are awkward to use in competition. My first solution was to use two mags coupled to get the length but the angle was weird and it made the mags quite heavy. They were also uncomfortable to hit on the bottom if they needed some help seating on a closed bolt.

Trying to find 20/5 round mags in 7.62 is impossible and youd be limited to 5 rounds so that option was out. Then, while randomly surfing the black rifle accessory EE forum I found the listing by GSDesigns for their LAR and XCR pistol mag extensions. They are 3D printed and are designed for each type of magazine to mimic the contour of a proper 20 round mag. They attach to the bottom of the mag by replacing the floor plate just like a coupler and use a screw to hold them on (like a coupler does). They come in a variety of colors and only cost $13 each or $12 each if you buy 6. So, figuring this was the best solution ive found so far and they really arent expensive I thought id try them out.

First, GSDesigns was excellent to deal with. Fast communication, no issues. Once the mags were printed (which took a couple days) they were immediately shipped and arrived in 2 days.

My first impressions after opening the package was that A: The finish was a little rough as most 3D printed parts are and B: the color was off just a bit from what I was hoping (I was hoping it would match the XCR mags more closely). BUT... they feel solid but not heavy and PERFECTLY match the shape of a 20 round mag. For $12 each... I can live with the finish and slightly off color. On a side note, the rougher printed texture actually makes them quite grippy... which is actually a benefit.

Installation was as expected. Remove the screw, slip the mag floor plate off, slip the extension on and replace the screw. 60 seconds tops. I was concerned they may be flimsy or feel flexible or brittle... but once installed they do NOT feel weak at all. Im quite impressed with how sturdy they are. I cant comment how long they'll last but my initial impression is very good.

I bought these strange rubber slip on mag covers a while back... not even sure why or where i got them. But, after thinking about it, they are the perfect addition to the GSD extensions. They cover the entire extension, give additional grip AND give some cushion when dropping the mags on hard surfaces. Im going to see if I can find more.

Here are the pics:

Here are some comparison pics with coupled mags and with the rubber covers:

Mags with the covers:

My ONLY complaint with the mags is the silver screw. Im sure the reason for it is simply that a screw of these dimensions is hard to find... I can live with it and plan to paint them black which will solve the problem. Its not a big deal at all... but worth mentioning.

Hope this helps someone who may be looking for a better solution for a longer XCR mag or is thinking about trying these.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deckard's Avatar
    We also need extensions for 10 shot 9mm AR mags.
    Listen, and understand. That Liberal is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse- only fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your guns are gone.

Expired Business Member
    Thanks for the review, pavmentsurfer! I'm working on finding some better couour matched paint. Some of the metallic paint I've found leaves a nasty smell on your hands after using it, and doesn't seem to go away. The rubberizer is good because it doesn't smell and gives you a better gripping surface, but it doesn't match perfectly.

The screw is an unfortunate necessity. The extensions work without them, but occasionally back off of the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard View Post
    We also need extensions for 10 shot 9mm AR mags.
    If you're willing to loan me a magazine to work off of, I can get it done.

What is the warranty, if any, for these extensions under normal use?
    “The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.”

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snipersyn View Post
    What is the warranty, if any, for these extensions under normal use?
    I'll refund or replace them if they break within 30 days.

I'm gonna order some of the lar15 extensions on payday. I would like to get some of those rubber sleeves if you can remember where you got them pavmentsurfer.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 1 of 11 123456789 ... LastLast