Thread: Need advice on guns and clubs (edmonton)

Need advice on guns and clubs (edmonton)

Hey guys, so I haven't posted here in a while since I got my PAL and now I think I'm ready to get into shooting. Does anyone know any good newbie friendly gun clubs to join?

Also, I've been trying to find some used 1911s because I can't afford a new one for $ 800, what's a fair price for a used 1911 in good shape? (good enough for a beginner that is)

Any reputable used gun dealers around here?

Have you looked at Canada Ammo's deal?

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/d...ds-combo-deal/

Norinco 1911 Government Model + 1000 .45 rounds for 500$. Really good deal. I haven't ordered it, but a lot of people are saying that the gun works well. The finish might be a little rough, but as long as it shoots when you pull the trigger that should be good for a beginner.

Nice find. I heard those norinco 1911s are pretty solid. Unfortunately, I can't buy anything just yet Hopefully the deal will still be there next month!

Im also sniffing around for a club. Trying to find one indoors cause im sure shooting outdoors in winter aint fun.

I was thinking wild west because of their $75 membership. They also have one for $200. The price is ok but i dont want to be stuck in a lineup of trigger happy green horns who point the barrel in every direction. I dont like the fact that they let pretty much anyone pop off rounds. Ive seen some real wingnuts in there. The service there is hit and miss. Their store is also waaaaay overpriced.

I went to pheonix the other day. The 2 guys behind the counter were really helpful and pleasent. The prices of guns and gear were considerably less than ive seen anywhere else. But their membership fees are a rediculous $475. But it might be worth it to know that the guys in the booth beside you are more sane than the ones at wild west. Where they all go see Rambo on the big screen and then pump bullets in all directions at the range.

I was just at Phoenix the other day which was my 2nd visit to the club. I like their atmosphere but the $475/year membership is steep for me too. I would have to shoot 10+ per year to make it worthwhile (drop in is $22). I'm not saying it's not worth it but what if I can't go so much because of cost of ammo or w/e else comes up? Ponoka is $75 per year but it seems like you can only shoot pistols on Tuesdays. That sucks. I also would like outdoor access and a big plus is if I can shoot reactive targets, ie steel plates. Any other recommendations other than CHAS/Genesee and Sherwood Park?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    Well, it depends on if you want to have an actual range membership, or if you want a club membership and then pay drop in fees.

Edmonton Shooter's Guild is something like $30 a year, that fulfills the club membership requirement to get your ATTs. Then you could pay the $22 drop in fee at Phoenix. Unless you shoot 10+ times per year, that's probably the cheapest option around.

Next would be a CHAS membership for $100 a year, that gets you access to their outdoor range as well as Phoenix on Tuesdays.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebot-7 View Post
    Well, it depends on if you want to have an actual range membership, or if you want a club membership and then pay drop in fees.

Edmonton Shooter's Guild is something like $30 a year, that fulfills the club membership requirement to get your ATTs. Then you could pay the $22 drop in fee at Phoenix. Unless you shoot 10+ times per year, that's probably the cheapest option around.

Next would be a CHAS membership for $100 a year, that gets you access to their outdoor range as well as Phoenix on Tuesdays.
    Damn it I forgot to subscribe to this thread and I could've just gone the Shooter's Guild route. I joined CHAS end of last year. Oh well, it seems that CHAS is pretty good. I prefer outdoor ranges anyway and the other day, Sunday, Phoenix was so packed with drop ins I couldn't shoot after my RPAL course.

CHAS is 160/year at this point.
    CSSA Member

Still reasonable!