Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Argo cat question

CGN frequent flyer
    Had a few argos over the years. Ran them in just about every condition. If your going to run a good motor you wont need to rely on the tires for forward momentum in the water, so you could choose a more aggressive tire. Keep in mind, they need to be the same diameter as the stock tires. They are a non standard size tire, so youll have to find the size and look for something based on size, not style (as in, dont just look for ATV tires).

You COULD also try as set of more aggressive tires only on the front (as long as the size was identical to the other 4 tires it will be fine) but like the others have said, argos are not known to "climb" out of low traction surfaces like water very well at all. With that said, if youve got a decent winch, you should be able to get yourself out of just about anything.

Our argos have always been new so taking on water has never been a problem but I have read and heard many stories just like the ones above in regards to the wheel bearings. One of the weak points of the argo in general.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    Heres a pic of my Argo on the Spanish River in early November, taken a couple years ago, it was a cold choppy day on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Magellann View Post
    Heres a pic of my Argo on the Spanish River in early November, taken a couple years ago, it was a cold choppy day on the water.

I will post some muddy photos when I am in the office tomorrow, what are you using for an outboard?
    Cheers John

CGN Ultra frequent flyer HKMark23's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    I like the sound of her, please tell me more, I would hate to rely on a electric one and then find I can,t start the engine as I have flattened the the battery!
    I'd go with the model BP4402 at the bottom of this page. For the small difference in price over the lesser models you'd be much happier with the performance. These are self priming,, within reason,, so test it at the level you plan on mounting it before putting the screws to her. I doubt you'll have mounting level issues in an ARGO but you never know.

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.co...h&using=AnyAll
    "When you have made evil the means of survival, do not expect men to remain good. Do not expect them to stay moral and lose their lives for the purpose of becoming the fodder of the immoral. Do not expect them to produce, when production is punished and looting rewarded. Do not ask, 'Who is destroying the world?' You are." - Ayn Rand

Might I suggest, if the tires are really worm out, and you're trying to limp them along for the rest of the season, a Set of cheap Canadian-tire or Princess Auto Tire chains help a lot with getting out of stuff forwards. Just on the tires you want to climb out with, i.e. in this case, front.

Even if it can't drag itself out, it will dig enough of a hole to stick it in place long enough to get a cable out and secured. Doesn't affect the ride quality too terribly badly, either.

Woops, Sorry , make that the 4410, the one on sale at $115. Its 28 gmp and should do the trick nicely. They're probably available at lots of boating supply places, this site is just one I googled to find the pump. My recreational boating days were some time ago.
    "When you have made evil the means of survival, do not expect men to remain good. Do not expect them to stay moral and lose their lives for the purpose of becoming the fodder of the immoral. Do not expect them to produce, when production is punished and looting rewarded. Do not ask, 'Who is destroying the world?' You are." - Ayn Rand

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    I'm using a 9.9 hp Mercury motor, I modified the transom mount so the motor would sit about four inches deeper than the standard Argo transom. I found that it would cavitate a lot on me before. Thats why a long shaft motor is much better. Mine is a standard length but It work s ok with the new transom mount.

BANNED
    Takes a bold man to put a Argo out on the Assiniboine alone... I wouldnt

Quote Originally Posted by CousinTony View Post
    Takes a bold man to put a Argo out on the Assiniboine alone... I wouldnt
    I wasn't alone I had my dog, Kobe! Had a great day, learnt a lot, and looking at learning a lot more. I do remember putting an 18 ft freighter canoe with a 9 HP mercury, crew of 5 plus 2 dogs on the Assiniboine river when she was in flood, now that wasn't bold that was stupid, I learnt a lot that day, I was also very lucky. Now I don,t tempt the gods but I do "occasional" push the envelop when I am alone, yes, maybe bold but no longer stupid.

I won't presume to understand your best powering solutions for LT water use. Other ARGO owners will steer you right I'm sure. Do be aware, however, that gas can storage inside a watertight hull, not designed to provide ventilation, can be very dangerous. The ARGO design may indeed make provision for this, I don't know. If not you'll need to consider gas storage carefully.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast