Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help Bar B Q rib recipe!

Help Bar B Q rib recipe!

Looking for a good home made rib sauce recipe!! When I eat ribs if I don,t have to roll my sleeves up and get plastered in sauce some thing is wrong. Not looking for sauce out of a bottle, some one out there must know what I am looking for. I need to Bar-B- Q ribs Friday and I am looking for a knock out sauce! Will post results here.

CGN frequent flyer hillbillyreefer's Avatar
    I stole this off the net, most likely from Meathead. It needs to be caramelized on the ribs to be delicious. Just as a straight dipping sauce it isn't spectacular.

BBQ sauce
    The sauce : Will do 3lbs( I usually double the reciepe and save it).
    1 cup heinz ketchup
    3/4 cup of white vinegar ( if using a kectup other then heinz may need to increase vinegar).
    1/2 cup molasses
    3/4 cup of honey
    1/2 tsp table salt
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/4 tsp tabasco sauce

Add some liquid smoke for a different flavor. #If making hickory cut back to 1/3-1/2 cup instead of 3/4 cup vinegar and 3 tsp or more liquid smoke.

Combine ingredients for sauce in a good sized sauce pan and bring to a boil stirring as needed, reduce heat and simmer ocassionly stirring for 1/2 hr.
    Careful, freedom of speech is forbidden.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer alter3d's Avatar
    Do you want spicy? Sweet? Tangy (acidic)? Smoky?

Here's my basic recipes, which is more on the spicy/smoky side. You can adjust the ratios to change the balance more toward spicy, sweet or tangy. To make it more sticky for ribs, you can substitute honey (preferably a dark honey, like that from avocado, rather than the light, clover honey you buy at most grocery stores) instead of the brown sugar in the BBQ sauce recipe (not in the rub). As with all cooking -- taste, taste, taste, and adjust as necessary.

BBQ Rub
    ~~~~~
    4 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
    2 tbsp sweet paprika
    2 tbsp smoked paprika
    3 tbsp black pepper
    3 tbsp coarse salt
    2 tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp onion powder
    2 tsp celery seeds
    1 tsp ground cumin (preferably, start with whole seeds, toast them and then grind in a mortar & pestle)
    1 tsp cayenne pepper

Mix all ingredients together. Use as a dry rub on meats. Used as a base for BBQ Sauce, below.

BBQ Sauce
    ~~~~~~~
    2 cups ketchup
    3 tbsp cider vinegar
    4 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    5 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
    2 tbsp molasses
    2 tbsp prepared mustard
    1 tbsp Tabasco sauce
    1.5 tbsp BBQ Rub (above) (adjust to taste)
    3 tsp liquid smoke
    1 tsp black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive saucepan. Bring slowly to a boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to simmer until dark, thick and deeply flavoured.
    I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.
    ― Henry David Thoreau, On the Duty of Civil Disobedience

I've got an easy killer BBQ shaved beef on a bun. Just fed 40 and got rave reviews. Even kids love it. Better than hot dogs.
    Hard to beat a good rib though.
    My LugNuts require more torque than your car makes!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Tuco Pike's Avatar
    I don't often eat ribs.... but when I do, I prefer....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I actually prefer to make a DYNAMITE dry rub, apply heavily, grill low & slow with smoke, and then lightly apply whatever generic sauce you want (just for some stickyness basically.)

The dry rub is the keystone IMO. That, and removing all the membrane from the ribs prior to cooking.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer griffin86's Avatar
    CGN Weekly Schedule
    Monday: Can't access the EE! Tuesday: Non-restricted rifles like AR-15? Wednesday: Difference between 223 and 556? Thursday: 9 or 45? Friday: Bear Defense thread Saturday: Why is this prohibited? Sunday: Zombie thread

Alter3d's rub is ideal, however I would personally add cinnimon and nutmeg to it as well,( hell , pumpkin pie season if you don't have them separated would work to). Cinnimon,cumin and nutmeg I find compliment each other and pork very well, that with the brown sugar will form a very nice crust on your rib.

For the sauce, I would combine all ingredients into a pot or deep ish pan to, well become BBQ sauce. Since I have never had the chance to obtain liquid smoke I have found that if I BBQ my veggies ( onion, jalapeņo pepper, garlic) and use a blender to combine them all together, I get a pretty good result. Let combine BBQ sauce sit in a fridge for 24 hours, and it's good to go.

I know you're just looking for a sauce, but I feel compelled to share this simple, crowd-pleasing recipe I use on pork ribs:

Cut full rack of ribs into smaller pieces (4-5 bones each piece)
    Place smaller pieces into a large tinfoil container (similar to those that you can get at the grocery store for a turkey)
    Fill the tinfoil container with pineapple juice until the ribs are just covered (usually around 1-1.5L of juice)
    Cover the container with tinfoil and place it on the BBQ for 3-4 hours at around 350F
    Remove the ribs from the container and finish/caramelize them with BBQ sauce on the grill

If you did it right the meat should almost fall off the bone when eating
    Last edited by andrew00585; 08-29-2013 at 01:06 AM.

I usually just wing it.

Once made a sauce with about 6 bottles of Dad's Root Beer reduced down by more than half - probably closer to 3/4, to concentrate the flavour/sweetness. Ketchup, salt, pepper, lemon juice, garlic powder, chili powder, Tabasco, liquid smoke, Lea and Perrins (can't spell or say worchestershire... worcestershire... whatever... Lea and Perrins).

Let it sit overnight at least, so it will taste like a sauce, not like a collection of ingredients.

So basically - start off with a base flavour you like, then build a sauce around it. Adjust amounts and seasoning as necessary.

Edit: Had to add - recipes are for bakers and dessert makers.
    Last edited by HammerHand; 08-29-2013 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Real men don't use measuring cups.
    "All they now possess is liberty, what they before enjoyed is sacrificed to its service, and having nothing more to lose, they disdain submission." - Thomas Paine, Common Sense, 1776

Liberal promise, a first rate oxymoron.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast