Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: .223 sks....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick911 View Post
    +1

I see no point in a .223 sks...
    Me too.

Here in NB we have a varmint season which runs for almost the entire calendar year but you are restricted to rifles smaller than .23 caliber and shotguns with shot no lager than #2 I think it is. So an inexpensive semi .223 would be on every shooters shopping list around here. Mini 14's are rare and expensive and the Kel tec is expensive and too much like a plastic toy for most. So with no AR s we don't have much to choose from. So an SKS in .223 is intriguing as I love both my Chicom and Russian SKS's

oops..
    Last edited by saskplcguy; 09-19-2013 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saskplcguy View Post
    Ummm... 7.62 is a much bigger round than .223 being as 7.62 = .308(-ish)? You can use 7.62x39 for deer here, but not .223.

7.62x39 is certainly not restricted to range use only if you're using soft points.
    Ummmm..... READ the post, the largest caliber you can hunt with in Ontario is .275, that's why everyone and their uncle swears the .270 is the BEST cartridge for hunting, only because it's the largest you can use in some provinces. (Even in BC I hear people horney for the .270 and when asked they don't know why, simply because "my uncle says it's the best" now you know why everyone thinks the .270 is so great... IMO it's not)

Anyway. If a .223 sks was available for the same price as current sky's being offered I'd probably get one.
    My hopes aren't up though.

Thank you johnone for chiming in aswell.
    ☣Fred ought 4☣

Quote Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
    Ummmm..... READ the post, the largest caliber you can hunt with in Ontario is .275, that's why everyone and their uncle swears the .270 is the BEST cartridge for hunting, only because it's the largest you can use in some provinces.
    Oh, I took that as the SMALLEST... my bad!

They would have to be newly made and would cost at least 600-800$ so you'd be beter off just getting a mini 14 or a su-16

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb314 View Post
    They would have to be newly made and would cost at least 600-800$ so you'd be beter off just getting a mini 14 or a su-16
    A Mini 14 that used AR magazines would be a brilliant idea and they'd sell thousands of these rifles in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by fred0000 View Post
    Ummmm..... READ the post, the largest caliber you can hunt with in Ontario is .275, that's why everyone and their uncle swears the .270 is the BEST cartridge for hunting, only because it's the largest you can use in some provinces. (Even in BC I hear people horney for the .270 and when asked they don't know why, simply because "my uncle says it's the best" now you know why everyone thinks the .270 is so great... IMO it's not)
    In BC, we have very little restrictions in what we can hunt with and what we can't hunt with. Big game animals, all the way up to a Moose, can be hunting legally with anything that's a centerfire cartridge. This means we can legally hunt Moose with a .22 Hornet all the way up to a .600 Overkill and higher as long as its centerfire. I hunt with a .270 simply because its accurate, flat trajectory, popular, (resulting in $25 a box for high quality Hornady Super Performance SST ammo) and its one of those "do everything" cartridges especially if you hand load. It has everything from 90gr bullets to 160gr bullets available for it if you hand load. Once you buy it, you will never need anything else. With your opinion towards the .270, I'm interested to know what your opinion is on the 30-06.

I know that we can use pretty well any cf in bc
    ☣Fred ought 4☣

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRhino View Post
    The .223 is a laser beam so to put it in something as sloppy as an SKS would be a collossal waste.
    My thoughts exactly.

An SKS is hardly accurate enough to be considered a varmint rig, so why the hell would I want it to shoot a varmint round?

An SKS is a 1- a cheap gun, 2 - it shoots cheap ammo, and 3- it is reliable as hell. Changing any of those 3 things is just ridiculous.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast