Thread: Brand NEW: Savage BTVLSS stock is crooked/pulled sideways against barrel....

Brand NEW: Savage BTVLSS stock is crooked/pulled sideways against barrel....

A question for my fellow CGNers. Is this normal to have such a misalignment of the stock to barrel with a brand new rifle? Model is Savage BTVLSS 22lr. The barrel is resting against the side of the stock. If, by hand, I pull the barrel straight to the center of the stock channel, I can easily slide a peice of paper all the way to the receiver. Right out of the box the barrel/stock free float is crooked and not free floated.... Is this normal or should I be sending this back? Any advise for me?

Thanks

A side note: P&D's purchasing experience was great. They were great to talk to by phone. The rifle shipped out quickly. Canada post took well over a week to get it to me but that's normal for them.
    PAL is required for all ammo/firearms sales immediately after buyer states "I'll take it". Failure to do so will result in the loss of your first to claim it position. Shipping insurance is extra and must be requested.

No that's not acceptable in my opinion.
    You'll never be happy with it, send it back.
    Give P&D a call, I'm sure they'll set you straight.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 762shooter's Avatar
    One thing to check is if the barreled action was centered in the stock when the bedding screws were tightened. Some mass produced stocks have a slightly sloppy fit to the action. So loosen the bedding screws a bit and see if you can shift the barreled action to align it with the barrel channel, then re-tighten the screws with the barrel centered in the barrel channel.

Unfortunately wood stock can warp altho less often with a laminated wood stock. I have a CZ 452 that had the barrel touching the barrel channel on the right side so I had to open the channel up a bit to float the barrel.
    “That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.” ― George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Paatz View Post
    No that's not acceptable in my opinion.
    You'll never be happy with it, send it back.
    Give P&D a call, I'm sure they'll set you straight.
    I agree. I have contacted them and will keep this thread updated. Its so true I will never be happy with it like that! Its a big bummer since its a super nice rifle! I noticed the barrel issue and was immediately bummed out!! Lets see what they say. All dealings so far have been very professional!
    PAL is required for all ammo/firearms sales immediately after buyer states "I'll take it". Failure to do so will result in the loss of your first to claim it position. Shipping insurance is extra and must be requested.

Got a call back within a half hour! They would like some pictures sent to them. Makes sense to me as I would ask for pictures myself. I'll try to post one to the thread as well. At this point P&D service is very prompt and professional.

I was unable to post pics from my phone. However they looked at the pics and admitted there was a misalignment from the factory. They mentioned that it's normal for this to occur from the manufacturer!!?? After stating I was unhappy and would prefer to swap it out for another, they told me to send it back. So its on its way... I hope the replacment is ok... its such a nice rifle that's its almost to pretty to shoot. Although the wife thought it was "funny looking".....

Overall very happy with P&D's level of service! Issues as such can become a nightmare for both parties.

Thanks P&D!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stvjeep View Post
    I was unable to post pics from my phone. However they looked at the pics and admitted there was a misalignment from the factory. They mentioned that it's normal for this to occur from the manufacturer!!?? After stating I was unhappy and would prefer to swap it out for another, they told me to send it back. So its on its way... I hope the replacment is ok... its such a nice rifle that's its almost to pretty to shoot. Although the wife thought it was "funny looking".....

Overall very happy with P&D's level of service! Issues as such can become a nightmare for both parties.

Thanks P&D!!!
    stvjeep -please try to post some pics. I am planning on buying the same rifle and would like to see (from your pics) what to avoid. (I am a newbie )

Thank you,

Daniel

Would love to post a pic but not sure how to post here? This Forum site is a little different from what I'm used to I guess.

The barrel is basically resting to one side of the stock channel. I've just never seen that before.

Anyone feel free to let me know how to post pics or when I get time I'll try again.

Before you go any further suggest you do what is suggested in post #3. Loosen the screws, align the stock barrel and tighten the screws. If that fixes the problem....then there is no problem.

I picked up the exchange rifle yesterday. It is straight with no stock to barrel misalignment and I can freely run a peice of paper between the stock and barrel.

Thanks P&D for prompt and professional service!