Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non-restricted registration

Non-restricted registration

Do you register non-restricted firearms purchased from Quebec??
    Because I heard it had been done before.

Thank you for your time

According to the Sureté du Québec website, all firearms are to be registered in Québec. When you call the Canadian Firearm Office, they mention that even though the long gun register is gone, they will still register long gun from Québec residants until Stephen wins against Pauline :P

I'd say give a call to the Quebec's firearms office or Sureté du Québec to be in the clear, because in Quebec, more than any provinces I think, they prefer the law abiding citizen unarmed.

Expired Business
    WE DO NOT REGISTER LONG GUNS ANYWHERE IN CANADA
    Marstar

Expired Business
    THE registry in Miramichi will NOT register long guns from dealers outside Quebec....get your facts straight
    Marstar

Classic marstar response

Thanks for the quick response John!

1. If you live in Quebec and purchase a non-restricted from outside of Quebec you are still required to register the gun. This is a Quebec requirement. Since there is no transfer to be registered the seller does not need to contact the registrar. The buyer (in Quebec) has to call and initiate the registration. The RCMP is still performing this service http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/o...eg_enr-eng.htm.

2. If you live outside of Quebec and buy a non-restricted from a private individual inside of Quebec then you do not need to register the weapon. The seller will have to contact the RCMP and tell them that the weapon has been sold to an individual outside of Quebec and to cancel the registration. The buyer has no obligation.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMagoo View Post
    1. If you live in Quebec and purchase a non-restricted from outside of Quebec you are still required to register the gun. This is a Quebec requirement. Since there is no transfer to be registered the seller does not need to contact the registrar. The buyer (in Quebec) has to call and initiate the registration. The RCMP is still performing this service http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/o...eg_enr-eng.htm.
    A Québec requirement that is legally binding? Please provide reference to the federal or Québec law that is being contravened if a Québec citizen does not register their non-restricted firearm.

Quebec resident here, I just called this afternoon the CFP to ask if Quebec residents buying from outside retailers or individuals still have an OBLIGATION to register their non-restricted guns because the POSSIBILITY to do so does not make it and obligation. They transferred me to the Quebec CFO office.

Answer is: you can register on a voluntary basis which they strongly recommend because....no reason was given actually, but you are not obliged to and they say since they are no more laws or injunctions in place to sanction you if you don't, there is nothing a cop could do against it.

Of course cops not knowing their gun laws are plenty and the possibility they would go beyond what they legally can do exists, which is trouble even if you are cleared from any wrongdoing in the end.

In my opinion, the fact they still accept registrations is more politics than legal while the supreme court is pending.

Hope this clarifies, don't believe me? call them and post the answer here if its different, it would be interesting to see...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer guess_kto's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMagoo View Post
    Who pays RCMP for registration? Quebec? Or RCMP is wasting the money from the budget?
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson, 1775.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast