Thread: Compatibility of 1960s Chinese military and Soviet SKS parts

Compatibility of 1960s Chinese military and Soviet SKS parts

Dear John,

As I understand that you are bringing in Soviet SKS carbines, could you please explain to what extent the parts of the 1960s-era Chinese PLA SKS carbines are compatible with the Soviet versions? I have heard that the gas tubes are different but I would imagine that many other parts such as the springs and the gas rod should be interchangeable.

Thanks,

Jonathan

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dand883's Avatar
    John can probably comment in more detail, but i know that the spare chinese gas tube i got fit my 1950 russian perfectly, but was close to 1/8" too long for my 1953 russian. From what i understand as well late chinese bolts and carriers should fit late model russians, but i haven't actually tried switching bolts to test it.

Expired Business
    As with any military firearm produced by numerous factories over several decades, I would not bet on any major component being 100% interchangeable.

There are minor differences even within the same producing country....

Sorry we cannot be of more help
    Marsta

CGN frequent flyer
    Marsta ?!?

gangsta ?!

Bolts, carriers, magazines (all six of mine from three different countries interchange, with some elbow grease, at least) and pistons should all interchange. Stocks gas tubes may require fitting, or may drop in, depending on what you have. For example, I can imagine a Chinese with a Blade Bayonet's stock would interchange with a Russian, while a Chinese with a spike bayonet may not.
    89AA04004