Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 791011121314151617181920212223242527 ... LastLast

Thread: Utas-15 road show

I got the gun out today, and have finished my video review. First, let me give a bit of a preface. The gun arrived clean and well lubricated. Upon inspection, I confirmed that the right mag tube would only hold 6 rounds of 2 3/4" shells, as was noted in an enclosed note. I mentioned that to Grumpy Wolverine, and after further stripping the gun I found that the mag spring and follower assembly in that tube were damaged. I don't believe that this damage was caused by regular usage, but rather someone disassembled the gun past the manufacturer's recommended stage.

When I informed Grumpy of this, he immediately couriered me replacement parts, and they rectified the issues immediately.

The rest, good bad and ugly, is in this video:

[youtube]aE5oGOrbRKo[/youtube]

CGN Ultra frequent flyer HeadDamage's Avatar
    Yellowknife range visit?
    Remember remember early December
    Coalition, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why coalition, treason
    Should ever be forgot...

It was today at 1300. I replied to your question when you asked. Sorry you missed it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer HeadDamage's Avatar
    You were the guy that walked in to the pistol bay? I was at the range all afternoon shooting my new SG542
    Remember remember early December
    Coalition, treason and plot.
    I see no reason why coalition, treason
    Should ever be forgot...

That was me. I was going to stop in the rifle bay, but you were popping that gong, and I didn't want to interrupt you. Sorry man.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavs42 View Post
    I got the gun out today, and have finished my video review. First, let me give a bit of a preface. The gun arrived clean and well lubricated. Upon inspection, I confirmed that the right mag tube would only hold 6 rounds of 2 3/4" shells, as was noted in an enclosed note. I mentioned that to Grumpy Wolverine, and after further stripping the gun I found that the mag spring and follower assembly in that tube were damaged. I don't believe that this damage was caused by regular usage, but rather someone disassembled the gun past the manufacturer's recommended stage.

When I informed Grumpy of this, he immediately couriered me replacement parts, and they rectified the issues immediately.

The rest, good bad and ugly, is in this video:

[youtube]aE5oGOrbRKo[/youtube]

I've encountered what you did... I found you really have to rack it hard. If you rack it like an 870 you will just short stroke it - which I believe you inadvertently ended up doing for most of that second shoot clip (with the double feed). Do you think that was the case? I think it's just a matter of getting reps in and logging range time with it to get the muscle memory down.

PS looks friggin cold out at the YK range... Shoulda planned for your roadshow stop to be in the summer!
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Chris Kyle April 8, 1974 - February 2, 2013

I do think I was short stroking the action, as I said in the video at that point. The main problem I had was the fact that the action refused to lock in the forward position after a short while. I don't know if it froze, or what the case was. I made a conscious effort to aggressively rack the action, but that didn't stop me from having issues. You saw me slamming the action forward, and it refused to lock the majority of the time.

The day was definitely coldish, and that was a bit of the point of sending it to the frozen wastes. If it had arrived in december it could have tasted -40. In the summer it's no different that the south except the mosquitoes will take your arm.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer P0WERWAGON's Avatar
    should send it back to you in the summer and let the mosquitoes try it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dmitri's Avatar
    I had exactly the same issues with mine, it wouldn't lock the action. And when it did lock, it would unlock it when you start pressing a trigger but before the shot is made. in Other words, while you holding a shotgun start pressing the trigger action unlocks and your hand automatically moves back with the grip, moving a bolt back.. I returned that thing twice, second time for a full refund. At that point i was sure that they would work out all the bugs and offer a problem free 2nd gen.. but as i see not much has been fixed.

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    Good review and video Cavs42. I think though, that from watching the video that the double feeds etc were causing by short shucking, those actions are timed pretty finely for small movements of the action and that can cause the issues you were having. As for the not locking up, I haven't seen a gen 2 gun yet do that. Can you tell me if there is an o-ring between the barrel band and the trigger side of the lower? If there is, that is the problem, either move it to the other side of the barrel band or leave it off the shotgun all together. The gen 2 guns don't need them but some ended up coming with them. Only other thing I could think of was too much lube getting stiff and not allowing things to move forward as they should. I've had them out here in the cold and haven't had an issue like that.
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales