Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 6161819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread: Utas-15 road show

Dude, those photos are awesome!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."- General George Patton Jr, NFA, CSSA and NRA Member

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    Wow....those photos are superb!
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter709 View Post
    Dude, those photos are awesome!
    Thanks very much I like to take pictures :]

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Wolverine View Post
    Wow....those photos are superb!
    Thanks Grumpy! Glad you like 'em.

Just got back in from the range - myself and CGN member Elhurron met up to blast through a ton of rounds with the roadshow gun. We ended up feeding the UTS about 6 different types of shot, from slugs to buck and all told we put through between 3 and 4 hundred rounds through the shotgun. I am not sure the actual count, but there was a bunch. We started out at the 50 yard range up at Thompson Mountain, shooting about 25 yards at a pair of targets; one silhouette and one blank piece of cardboard.

First thoughts on holding this gun - was how light it was for the size. The polymer of the shotgun looks a bit on the cheap side, but the ruggedness of the build was actually surprising. Even when the shotgun was fully loaded it was easy to manipulate and not that heavy. The pieces that needed to be steel were steel and the parts that were polymer were very tough and seemed fairly well built. I went into this without much of a bias, as I had avoided watching videos that didn't favor the gun and reading reviews that were negative - so my impressions are hopefully fair. The ergonomics of the gun are not the best as there is no length of pull adjustment to allow for people with longer arms to make the gun a bit more comfortable. On top of that, the trigger guard looks unfinished. It is blocky and actually cut Elhurron's finger when he fired it. I think the first thing that I would do if I owned this gun would be to polish them round - they trigger guard feels like it is made of aluminum, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

From the get-go the shells wouldn't load into the magazine and 'click' into place. We later figured out that there must have been grime in the hooks that hold the shells in place, and once we worked through 20-30 shells - that issue went away. Firing the gun - you definitely need to be assertive with it, or else you will see the tell-tale misfeeds that people have largely complained about. We initially ran into the same problem - but I was confident it was us operating it and not the mechanics of the gun. After a good 30-40 rounds, we both got used to how the gun operates - and neither one of us had a problem with ejection or double feeds. In fact - I think there was only 1 double-feed throughout the entire day. Any issues we had, we both immediately recognized that we short-stroked the pump and caused it ourselves.

As you can see in this video, I had a short-stroke and had to peel the shell out manually. Please excuse the awkwardness of me shooting a pump-action - I am *really* not designed to be shooting them, so I have to alternate hands in order to make it work:

The gun shoots straight - that is for sure - we were hitting close to the bull on a silhouette target at 25 yards fairly regularly with slugs. In fact - we slapped the long barrel on it and took it over to the skeet range and shot skeet with it for an hour. Once we got the hang of using it for skeet - we were hitting 30-40% of the clays with it. I for one am not a good skeet shooter, so I was surprised to hit them in the first place

Here is a video from the side where you can see me actually hit 1/2 the clays :D

Initially we were just dropping shells into the breach and firing them that way - which is dead easy and doesn't pose a problem at all; after a few rounds of that I loaded it up properly and shot it that way. The alternating feed of the tubes functioned for us no problem, as we had different color shells in either tube, we could see that they were grabbing from one side, then the other. In the second video above you can see that I've loaded it up and instead of dropping into the breach - and shot it that way.

Overall impressions of this gun - I like it - a lot. It is a fun range toy to shoot and you can go through ammo like it is nothing because of how many shells it holds. Despite going into this with as little bias as possible - I was expecting a bit of a problem - and it did manifest itself initially. That went away when the both of us were forcibly racking the slide and ejecting/chambering shells - basically once we were comfortable with the gun. The look of it is really neat - I like the aesthetics of it. My only gripes would be the ability to adjust the length of pull, and to finish the rough edges on it. It seems that to me that the gun is not 'finished' and needs some nice touches on it to give it that finished feel.

The ammo we fed through this was a little bit of everything:

* Federal Power Shok slugs
    * Federal Vital Shok slugs
    * Fiocchi Buck shot
    * Federal Target load
    * Score slug 28
    * Winchester Target load

The gun ate through any and all of these shells without a single mechanical problem. As I said above, the problems we ran into were absolutely us not operating the slide as we should have been. This gun is definitely not a Winchester pump shotgun where you can get away with short stroking it - you need to ram the pump all the way to the back....forcefully. If you do that - you won't have problems.

And finally - to round off the post, here are some photos from the day - the full UTS gallery is here:

My ugly mug:

CGN frequent flyer
    "Please excuse the awkwardness of me shooting a pump-action - I am *really* not designed to be shooting them, so I have to alternate hands in order to make it work"

Lol, thanks for the forewarning, made me chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by Noob_ View Post
    "Please excuse the awkwardness of me shooting a pump-action - I am *really* not designed to be shooting them, so I have to alternate hands in order to make it work"

Lol, thanks for the forewarning, made me chuckle

Heh - I do what I can

Sorry about the lack of updates guys, I've been waiting on a decent day to go shooting that I could get off. Was going to go tomorrow but now it's calling for rain and snow so I've pushed it off until Wednesday. Hopefully the weather holds!
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."- General George Patton Jr, NFA, CSSA and NRA Member

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter709 View Post
    Sorry about the lack of updates guys, I've been waiting on a decent day to go shooting that I could get off. Was going to go tomorrow but now it's calling for rain and snow so I've pushed it off until Wednesday. Hopefully the weather holds!
    No worries, no use trying to use them when the weather is crappy, would rather have you have some fun and not worry about getting soggy and freezing.
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales

Forecast is calling for a few flurries tomorrow which I can deal with so I have got the day off. I know this is extremely shot notice but I will be heading up to the gravel pit on the opposite side of the highway from the Rod & Gun club tomorrow at around 12:00 (lunchtime). Anyone interested in trying her out is more then welcome to come out. If you don't get the chance to come out, the gun will be on display for the remainder of the time that I have at where I work at Complete Gun Repairs. At least you will be able to come by and get a feel for the gun. More to come shortly!

Cheers,
    Mitch