Page 25 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5151718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Utas-15 road show

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    Hey Wromgway what a great write and perspective on the UTS shotgun. Thank you for posting this. There is just a couple of things I would like to comment on. Glad we got that extension sorted out too LOL.

The factory upgrades do include the magnesium rail and your shotgun has it. Some of the very first monoblock upgrades didn't have the magnesium rail, just a polymer one but they are long gone. I remember doing your shotgun and I can also tell from the picture that you do indeed have the metal rail.

Very good point on the o-ring, I do agree they tend to be too thick, and that with the amount they require the barrel retaining bolt to be cranked down, your solution should work really well. However the newest shotguns don't use O-rings at all, so for those out there with those shotguns thinking you should have an o-ring, no you shouldn't. There are also a few shotguns out there that used the o-ring on the other side of the barrel band, so if you have one of those folks, it is supposed to be on that side and yes it does make a difference. Some of the transitional guns can have the barrels actually set back too far if the o-ring isn't in the right position, causing the shotgun to not lock up as well. I can say for sure that the firearms that were failing before the upgrades needed more that the o-ring change as the monoblocks themselves were causing problems.

Last point, the new shotguns most definitely have the light laser marking on them, the proper marking. The reason why you have the very "classy" looking sticker on there is that they changed the laser/light units to a different style and for some reason the switch had different settings on it. Instead of changing that they just included that wonderful sticker to put on. If you lift your sticker off you will see that you have different settings painted on the gun in regards to the sticker. The best part though is the sticker is no longer required for the new models.

If the top cover on your shotgun is coming up while shooting you may have the barrel set back to far, as the front of the selector switch should rub the opening in the top cover, giving it some friction to hold the cover in place. If it is doing that, use a heat gun on the bottom of the top cover and pinch them in a little tighter, that will fix it too.

Let us know how that baby shoots!
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales

Thanks very much, sir Grumpy. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the platform, I've been having a lot of fun with it. My rail was so light, I figured it must been polymer. Magnesium is cool.

My top cover only loosened once, you have to accidentally catch it on something to dislodge it. It's very firm. But, for me, a lock is either positive or it isn't. The little $6 Chinese QR plate is such a perfect fit, it seems to have been made for it. I don't know about the rubbing of the selector switch... I noticed that once the two halves are aligned for perfect bolt lockup and smooth feeding, my selector switch also becomes perfectly centered. Interesting that they went through a few configurations of monoblocks. I think I rather prefer my variety.

One other cosmetic nudge I gave mine, you can actually see it in the bottom left corner of my final picture. I cut a tiny relief notch for the little sear(s) on the magazine feed cover(s). Otherwise they push the plastic out a wee bit when the covers are closed up. Another idea for your customized guns?

I may play with reversing the wiring on my laser switch, make it like the older ones, and do away with the sticker. Only because I have experience and all the tools and parts for that sort of thing. The big trick is sealing it back up correctly.

I wanted to mention, too - The two magazine tubes on roadshow gun were not alternating consistently for one roadshow reviewer. Mine always alternates flawlessly. For obvious reasons, the mechanism to hold one tube and release the other is a bit complicated. I think I know which part must have been slipping, but I could only guess if it was worn or broken, or it simply had an unfortunate piece of dirt in there.

As soon as the rain here lets up, I have a ton of old shells to feed through this thing, and I'll post my results asap.

I really find it funny that if a person puts on one negative thing about these shotguns, there are people commenting left and right. A fellow like wromgway does a great unsolicited review of the of the shotgun and the sounds of crickets on this thread becomes deafening.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Wolverine View Post
    I really find it funny that if a person puts on one negative thing about these shotguns, there are people commenting left and right. A fellow like wromgway does a great unsolicited review of the of the shotgun and the sounds of crickets on this thread becomes deafening.

I thought his review was great - I didn't get a chance to see it until this morning. I am looking forward to taking the roadshow UTAS out for a rip this weekend. Unfortunately sometimes people just love to #####, and when proven otherwise - slink away without any sort of fanfare.

Shotgun was received today while at the shop, haven't had the chance to really look at how clean it is yet. It generated alot of buzz with the guys I work with and I am amazed by how light this thing is. Stay tuned for more soon.

Cheers,
    Mitch
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."- General George Patton Jr, NFA, CSSA and NRA Member

I am guilty as charged Grumpy, I love my UTS-15. But I do not post unless I have something to add to the discussion. Thanks wromgway for the insights into the inner workings.
    Abid

Got off work and got a chance to really dig into this gun. The first thing I have to say it that is balances and points extremely well, it is also very light as compared to how it looks. It looks even more badass in person then in the pictures. From playing around with it the only problem I can see is a short length of pull but maybe it just takes some getting use to. The gun arrived in perfect condition and was well cared for by the previous tester. There are some pictures below of the condition of the gun upon arrival and I will post more when I find out where and when I will be testing. As of right now, I can honestly say that if this gun functions well I WILL be buying one. More to come soon!

Cheers,
    Mitch

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."- General George Patton Jr, NFA, CSSA and NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter709 View Post
    Shotgun was received today while at the shop, haven't had the chance to really look at how clean it is yet. It generated alot of buzz with the guys I work with and I am amazed by how light this thing is. Stay tuned for more soon.

Cheers,
    Mitch
    Just remember Screech is not an approved firearm lubricant. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Wolverine View Post
    Just remember Screech is not an approved firearm lubricant. :D
    Nope, Screech is classified as a propellant! :D

First off - some photos!