Page 22 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212141516171819202122232425262728293032 ... LastLast

Thread: Utas-15 road show

So I have a flat of target load and of slugs. Plus a friend is planing on bringing more ammo. I have some interesting targets: A couple of mannequins. Looks to be a good day.

Not really about the roadshow, but I put about 100 rounds through my UTS 15. 5 different shooters tried the gun, my son being a newbie with shotgun and pump action anything. Had 2 FTE's but I put both down to short stroking by the shooters. Used Score 1 ounce slugs from Ammosupply.
    Thanks Grumpy for the barrel upgrade and prompt return.
    Abid

It was a good day! Review and pictures later, I have a dinner to attend.

The shotgun met my expectations. Thanks to Kyle we were able to try a side by side comparison with the Keltec KSG!

Need to hear and see more about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Miraclejoe View Post
    It was a good day! Review and pictures later, I have a dinner to attend.

The shotgun met my expectations. Thanks to Kyle we were able to try a side by side comparison with the Keltec KSG!

A couple of teaser shots while I sit down and write the review:

Thank you kind sir, enough to keep me interested in the rest of the comparison.

I Bought a Utas From P&D It had a Problem not firing all the time. P&D didnt nothing for me. That was $1700. purchase. I sent it to Wolverine fixed it all is good. Thanks again John Hipwell! P&D I will no longer support. My Son loves the gun!

My review on the UTS-15:

We used range 3 at Abbotsford F&G,which gave us plenty of room to put the shotgun through its paces. The weather started off overcast, with the rain coming into play only as I was cleaning up for the day.

The ammo on hand for the day was:
    250 of Federal target load 2 3/4”(71/2)
    100 of Federal target load 2 3/4” (8)that a friend brought
    250 of Sellier & Bellot 2 5/8” Slugs
    18 of Remington 2 3/4” managed recoil slug
    20 Remington 2 3/4” Rifled slugs
    20 Winchester 2 3/4” Buck shot

Of which we shot a total of 320 rounds.

Ten people, including me, got a chance to try out the gun. We had a variety of background and experiences,which led to some disagreements on certain points. Everyone got to shoot at least 25 rounds each.

I had a spare T-1 Micro that I threw on the gun, which was not part of the Wolverine package.

Initial impressions:
    It is a cool looking gun, this everyone agrees on. Most who handled it found it heavy, while two of us thought it was reasonable for being a shot gun. I like the trigger,it might not be as crisp as my Dominion shorty, it is light and has a short and positive reset. The action lock is quite awkward, being under the stock; there are no easy/intuitive way to manipulate it.The safety is fine, but almost everyone commented that they would prefer the addition of an ambi safety lever. The trigger guard appears ridiculously overbuilt, it might be more of an aesthetic point, it did however aggravate one of the shooter who found it uncomfortable.

One of the shooters commented that the bolt appears very similar to the one on his Winchester. The slots to count the rounds appear to be dirt/water magnet and I would love to see what would happen in a sandy environment... The fore stock is not that grippy, any liquid on it would make it hard to cycle the action.The stock is short, which was manageable for the average guys, but really cramped the bigger guys. Hopefully there are different stock rubber pads available?

Cory from Valley Combat pointed out that the Circlips keeping the gun together have a tendency to get lost and recommended captive pins (like on AR15s) as a better alternative.

Shooting:
    Loading the shotgun is a bit awkward. I haven't found an easy way to load it while holding it and typically left it on the table to load. You might as well completely forget about trying to do a combat/emergency load straight into the chamber,it is way too awkward to get done.

Recoil isn't too bad, but some of us did get smashed in the face by the stock if we weren't careful about our cheek weld.

There was a concern that the right side ejection might be a problem, but neither of the left handed shooters had issues with it.

There didn't seem to be a distinguishable feeding pattern from the tubes. When the lever was set in the middle position to feed from both tube magazines, it did not alternate feeding from each tubes. It could fire three rounds from one tube before picking one from the other. We didn't set to test this, but when loading one tube with slugs and the other with birdshot the results were apparent. It is a nice feature that you do not have to move the lever be able to shoot from both tubes, as opposed to the KSG.

The choke and barrel extension came loose after firing and made a point to check them periodically. Maybe I should have tightened them harder initially?

One shooter experienced a light primer strike which resulted in a failure to fire. The round was found(pictured) and was successfully fired shortly after.

And now the part that everyone was waiting for: the jams!

The action feels quite a bit harder towards the end of the cycling, in the last 5mm or 1/8”. I think this is what is the source of the short stroking issues. When cycling deliberately there are no issues, but as soon as you lose focus you end up getting some failures to extract. Quite maddening, really. I stopped counting and taking pictures, but I would say we had roughly 50 FTE over the day, making a rate of about 1 stoppage for every 7 rounds fired.

We also experienced three “hard extraction” which required a bit of leverage to cycle the action.Two with the Federal target load and one with a slug.

Conclusion:
    Everyone agrees, it looks cool. It is a nice toy. What it is not is a work gun. The failure to reliably cycle makes this a range toy only. The army reservist in me abhors non functioning firearms and I see stoppages as a mortal sin. We can debate user error all day long, the fact remains that every single person experienced multiple stoppages using the UTS-15. While I appreciate what Wolverine is doing, I just can't help like we are doing UTAS's quality control by beta testing their gun for them.

If you have $1500 burning a hole in your pocket and you want a cool gun, have at her. Just don't make this your home/bear defense gun and I would even hesitate competing with it.

I'd like to thank Phil,Kyle, Matt, Justin, Rob, Mike and one more who's name I didn't write down (sorry).

Special thanks to my boss who brought in a hundred rounds of target load.

Extra special thanks to Kyle who left me his Keltec KSG after he left so we could give people a chance to compare.

Speaking of the Keltec KS This sub forum belongs to Wolverine, who were nice enough to lend me a shotgun free of charge. I don't think it is appropriate to discuss a product they do not sell in their sub forum. I'll put a side by side comparison on the shotgun sub forum.

So a big thank you to Wolverine Supplies for letting us have our turn with the UTS-15!

A couple of extra "before" pictures of some targets we used.

Last edited by Miraclejoe; 04-20-2014 at 03:42 PM.

I would love to be a tester for June 21-2014, as we are holding a 3 gun match in fort st john that day, and it would be a cool option for people to run durring their shotgun matches, like peace river did last year, it was a nice option to have, so if that would be an avalible date, id be more than happy to test it for that week.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDuke View Post
    I would love to be a tester for June 21-2014, as we are holding a 3 gun match in fort st john that day, and it would be a cool option for people to run durring their shotgun matches, like peace river did last year, it was a nice option to have, so if that would be an avalible date, id be more than happy to test it for that week.
    Have you applied for the roadshow already?
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales