Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2131333435363738394041424344 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand Stripped Receivers $49.95

Quote Originally Posted by NaviDave View Post
    I just spent 30 minutes searching - can someone spell out the differences between Breda and Beretta?

I see that the Breda's might be in almost new condition.
    Honestly, it seemed like there was a mix of almost-new and slightly-used (same with fully parkerized and 0% parkerized) from both brands.
    Sounds like the same quality either way: pick whatever strikes your fancy, or if you want to match brands, whatever you can find parts available for.

Ryan, at the start of this thread you alluded to parts coming in too...
    Should we still hold out for that, or just eBay it up?

We still have some receivers left.

Parts, I have a meeting in a month with some of my European friends and they tell me they have about 15 crates of M1 Garand spare parts for me to look at.

There are no barrels, bolts or stocks. What else (small parts) do you want?

Ryan

everything you can get your hands on sir.

Listen up and pay attention:

If you build a Garand M1 from the right parts, you will have a superb rifle that cannot be equalled by any commercial M14 clone.

Look at my first Garand. It was built on a Breda receiver. It was not a cheap build, but it is better in every way than anything I could ever buy. So build a Garand and don't be a schmoe.

While you are looking at the picture, notice the letter "v" on the rear sight. This is a Breda sight that was made for Denmark. The word, "venstre" means "left" in Danish.

Last edited by Squinty; 03-13-2014 at 10:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squinty View Post
    Listen up and pay attention:

If you build a Garand M1 from the right parts, you will have a superb rifle that cannot be equalled by any commercial M14 clone.

Look at my first Garand. It was built on a Breda receiver. It was not a cheap build, but it is better in every way than anything I could ever buy. So build a Garand and don't be a schmoe.

While you are looking at the picture, notice the letter "v" on the rear sight. This is a Breda sight that was made for Denmark. The word, "venstre" means "left" in Danish.

Nice job! that is a nice looking rifle.

For those of us considering a build, could you give a ball park cost?

Quote Originally Posted by scott_karana View Post
    Honestly, it seemed like there was a mix of almost-new and slightly-used (same with fully parkerized and 0% parkerized) from both brands.
    Sounds like the same quality either way: pick whatever strikes your fancy, or if you want to match brands, whatever you can find parts available for.
    The one thing I noticed is that the Beretta receivers have the darker, blackish parkerizing, whereas the Breda (at least mine), has the medium grey colour parkerizing on it, if you're at all fashion conscious about getting that perfect match with whatever barrel you're mating it to. And yeah, the finish quality or lack of handling scars seems to be hit or miss unfortunately. One of my Berettas is near mint save for one light scratch on the top, and then the other has a nice ding/gouge in the circular serrations where the rear sight mounts.
    The original USGI SA M1 barrels I got are blackish, FWIW.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandits View Post
    Nice job! that is a nice looking rifle.

For those of us considering a build, could you give a ball park cost?
    These days you are probably going to be into one for $1000 minimum....

Quote Originally Posted by Chemist View Post
    We still have some receivers left.

Parts, I have a meeting in a month with some of my European friends and they tell me they have about 15 crates of M1 Garand spare parts for me to look at.

There are no barrels, bolts or stocks. What else (small parts) do you want?

Ryan
    Reasonably priced and quality op rods, also all the other internal springs and pins.
    Last edited by 6tmile; 03-22-2014 at 01:08 AM.

I bought the parts piece by piece and after a while I quite counting. But I also bought the tools so that the rifle could be built. Take it from me that it is not possible to build a cheap Garand.

If you want a cheap Garandish rifle, just buy a Norinco M14.

But if you take your time and spend the money, you will have a rifle like no other.

I want to build at least another ten Garands and I would be interested in gas cylinders, operating rods, sights, bullet guides, and operating rod catches.

I am not looking for cheap parts--I want parts that are in excellent condition and that are within proper specifications.