Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun of the Week: UTAS UTS-15 Shotgun

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    Hmm...interesting, a favourable review and no one comments.
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales

Seems like a pretty neat shotgun. Nice to see someone have some good things to say abou it for a change. Not exactly my cup of tea I don't think. Looks kind of blocky to me. I like the option to switch mag tubes though.
    Quote Originally Posted by caramel View Post
    SKS are the Honda civic of rifles... JP.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Wolverine View Post
    Hmm...interesting, a favourable review and no one comments.
    If I didn't know you better I would swear you are trying to stir things up! I guess that is what I have to expect when you have a "slow day" at work, remind me to get Guy to work you harder tomorrow!

Its a fun gun and I love mine but its not reliable sadly. Mine has a tendency to drop a shell in vertically or it won't cycle the empty casing out. Issues don't happen all the time but it happens more than all my other firearms combined. I've tried a half dozen different manufacturers as well as bird shot, target loads, slugs, buck shot, double 00 buck, etc.. nothing seems to cure the issue. I'm tempted to send it back for warranty since its almost winter anyways. Also the camo flakes off so I wouldn't recommend spending the extra money. I am extremely delicate with my utas because I don't want anymore of the camo to flake off but it still happens, I don't think the camo material is meant to be attached to polymer. I would like to see some sort of a foam or rubber covering on the pistol grip, with slugs that polymer grip really tears into the skin.

In the end its a fun gun but I wouldn't be reaching for it in a home defense scenario and I wouldn't use it in any competition until the feeding issues are solved.

I still have the packaging so maybe I could send it back to you guys and see if there's something you can do about it before I try warrantying it?
    Last edited by YoungGunz; 10-24-2013 at 09:23 PM.
    -Mike
    I write letters, sometimes the editor screws up and they get printed

Ignatieff said the best memorial is "strict, relentless gun control."

Just got mine, and I have 700 rounds through it with only 1 FTF, I don't know where all these issues are coming from. Most of the issues I have seen are user error.

BANNED
    ^ it's a pump shotgun, friend, a gun you should never have any malfunction.

You guys are pimping these real hard but I just don't think they appeal. Don't have the sleek look of the ksg, looks to be highly impractical to reload, and reliability/quality issues are the last nail in the coffin. As your attorney I advise you to cut your losses. Maybe there's a war somewhere who could use them?

Quote Originally Posted by YoungGunz View Post
    Its a fun gun and I love mine but its not reliable sadly. Mine has a tendency to drop a shell in vertically or it won't cycle the empty casing out. Issues don't happen all the time but it happens more than all my other firearms combined. I've tried a half dozen different manufacturers as well as bird shot, target loads, slugs, buck shot, double 00 buck, etc.. nothing seems to cure the issue. I'm tempted to send it back for warranty since its almost winter anyways. Also the camo flakes off so I wouldn't recommend spending the extra money. I am extremely delicate with my utas because I don't want anymore of the camo to flake off but it still happens, I don't think the camo material is meant to be attached to polymer. I would like to see some sort of a foam or rubber covering on the pistol grip, with slugs that polymer grip really tears into the skin.

In the end its a fun gun but I wouldn't be reaching for it in a home defense scenario and I wouldn't use it in any competition until the feeding issues are solved.I still have the packaging so maybe I could send it back to you guys and see if there's something you can do about it before I try warrantying it?

A lot of times the feeding issue is not racking the action forcefully enough (the gentleman in the video even mentions this). These shotguns need to be cycled with intent, not gently. Also check your barrel nut, it needs to be tightened down very very tight, that can cause the non cycling of the empty shell. We are the warranty center for these, if you want to contact us at sales@wolverinesupplies.com and just tell them you want to talk to grumpy about your shotgun I'll be glad to help you out. We'll get it working for you so you can use it in competition. I'll check to see to if your shotgun is from the batch that needs the monoblock upgrade done to it. I'm going to be running one next season in the matches.
    Last edited by Grumpy Wolverine; 10-24-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CousinTony View Post
    ^ it's a pump shotgun, friend, a gun you should never have any malfunction.

You guys are pimping these real hard but I just don't think they appeal. Don't have the sleek look of the ksg, looks to be highly impractical to reload, and reliability/quality issues are the last nail in the coffin. As your attorney I advise you to cut your losses. Maybe there's a war somewhere who could use them?
    Seeing as how you are in our neck of the woods, stop by the shop and I'll put one in your hands. We can go out back and you can run some rounds through it and tell me what you think once you have had a chance to actually use one. The reloading is different than some other models, but once you're used to it you can really recharge it fairly quickly. The reliability issues have been fixed in the last batch we have and we have been working on upgrading the existing shotguns to the new specs. I've seen ALL makes and models of shotguns new and old malfunction at one point in time or another, some from mechanical issues and a lot of the time from a user error.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    If I didn't know you better I would swear you are trying to stir things up! I guess that is what I have to expect when you have a "slow day" at work, remind me to get Guy to work you harder tomorrow!
    Hear you loud and clear Mr Wolverine. Watch out Grumpy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast