Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Hornady M16 Hot Tub Sonic Cleaner

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Armedsask's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgrabowski View Post
    okay so i ordered some Hornady solution from wholesale, got it today... Looked on the back and it says.... WARNING This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause CANCER.... lol ok great! save time on cleaning and get cancer.. cant win!

For the guys with the Lyman solution, does it say the same thing?
    Dude, those stupid California cancer warnings are on everything. Our regular old brake clean spray at work has it. You'd have to drink cases of the stuff.
    The above post is the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Armedsask". These posts are for informational and entertainment use. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.

Yeah I suppose.. Haha

CGN frequent flyer
    Is this available?
    America last
    America can never be great again until...
    Dream revolver Ruger 0456
    Pass on pre-orders

Will it fit a model 70 24" barreled action?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rugerman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigNConnor View Post
    Complete noob to reloading but have ridiculous amounts of fired brass stockpiled.
    Would this be a practical tool for the everyday reloader,?
    And sorry if this is a stupid question but is it normal for firearms to be cleaned in a tumbler?
    Do the micro jests just recirculate a cleaning solution while the firearm is submerged?
    Cleaning gun parts in the sonic cleaner works very well. Better than you can do manually. The sonic action and cleaning solution get into all the nooks and crannies that you and I can't. It also cleans in between parts if they aren't completely disassembled. Just make sure you use the proper gun parts cleaner (from Hornady and others) and NOT the brass cleaning solution. There is a big difference. IMO, you don't need to clean your firearms every single time in the sonic cleaner. I do it periodically and it does make a difference.

I find cleaning brass with the sonic cleaner much more labor intensive. If you want the primer pockets cleaned, you have to deprime the cases first. After they are cleaned then you put them through the resizing cycle. I am always a little paranoid about drops of water remaining in the cases so I rinse them with really hot water to remove all traces of the cleaner and then set them out to dry for a couple of days to be sure. Usually near a source of heat like a furnace vent.

While they will be very clean, they will not necessarily be shiny. I like my cases shiny as I think they feed better in semis- but that could just be me. So i put them in the tumbler for a short time to get them shiny. Once again, this may not be necessary but that is what I do.
    I don't know about the micro jets, mine doesn't have them, but sonic vibrations cause dirt, soot and grime to fall free. The bottom of your tub will be covered with fine grit. Being able to adjust the heat of your solution makes a difference as well. Mine come cleaner when the solution is hot.

I know a lot of people make their own cleaning solutions. Nothing wrong with that. Just make sure that anything you add won't damage your gun's finish if cleaning guns or that it won't damage your brass when cleaning brass. I just stick with the commercial ones to be sure. Also, from what I am reading, the commercial cleaners don't take as long to clean. 40 mins and my brass is quite clean including the primer pockets. The Hornady cleaning solutions are not that expensive and they last a good while.

You may also find that you use the sonic cleaner to clean other stuff like automotive parts and other fine stuff that needs a good cleaning without doing any damage. It has really helped me out in that department.

Bottom line: Do you really need it? Probably not if you are just getting into reloading. A good tumbler or vibratory cleaner will meet most of your needs at the moment. There are primer pocket cleaners (manual ones) available that will do the job if you are willing to spend the time on it. I reload for CQB and shoot a lot of .223 every month. I don't clean the primer pockets on this brass. It hasn't made a difference in accuracy or reliability. Hunting and match loads I spend more time on. At the moment you would be better off spending the money on quality reloading equipment. Try and find someone who has one and try it out if you think you really need one.
    Just my $.02.
    Banning legal handguns is nothing more than a victory for symbolism over substance, for activity over achievement.
    © National Post 2006

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rugerman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rgrabowski View Post
    okay so i ordered some Hornady solution from wholesale, got it today... Looked on the back and it says.... WARNING This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause CANCER.... lol ok great! save time on cleaning and get cancer.. cant win!

For the guys with the Lyman solution, does it say the same thing?
    Said that on a LPK that I bought for my AR as well. Carry on.
    Banning legal handguns is nothing more than a victory for symbolism over substance, for activity over achievement.
    © National Post 2006

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234