Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hornady M16 Hot Tub Sonic Cleaner

Hornady M16 Hot Tub Sonic Cleaner

Hornady M16 Hot Tub Sonic Cleaner $550.00

The Hornady® Hot Tub™ takes sonic cleaning to a whole new level. Featuring a 9 liter capacity, the Hot Tub™ is long enough to accommodate and clean a 16 inch AR-15 upper. In addition to having 4 transducers, there is also a heating element that enhances cleaning action, which is especially useful when cleaning gun parts. Combined with One Shot® Sonic Clean™ solution, the microjet action of the Hornady® Hot Tub™ removes carbon residue and other debris from cartridge cases, gun parts and other metal equipment.

Unlike traditional tumblers, sonic cleaners can clean internal and external surfaces of cartridge cases and primer pockets. One 1.7 quart inner tank comes with the unit and can be used in the main tank for cleaning multiple smaller batches or to use separate solutions at the same time. Additional inner tanks can be purchased separately. Hanging cords have been integrated into the design to allow large objects to take full advantage of the ultrasonic energy. Additionally, the Hot Tub® features integrated drain pans in the lids, a small parts basket, a degas function and 5 temperature settings from 100-140°F.

Hot Tub® main tank dimensions:
    (9 Liters / 2.3 Gallons) 25.5" x 7.0" x 4" /

Internal Divider Tank dimensions (sold separately):
    6.7" x 4.7" x 3.2" (1.6 Liters / 1.7 Quarts).

I will be getting this soon

CGN frequent flyer CraigNConnor's Avatar
    Complete noob to reloading but have ridiculous amounts of fired brass stockpiled.
    Would this be a practical tool for the everyday reloader,?
    And sorry if this is a stupid question but is it normal for firearms to be cleaned in a tumbler?
    Do the micro jests just recirculate a cleaning solution while the firearm is submerged?

CGN frequent flyer
    I have the regular 2L hornady ultrasonic cleaner and I'll weight in.

I like it but there things to be aware of when cleaning brass. In 2L, I clean about 100 308 win brass at a time. The max I can fit in my cleaner is 150 308 win. However you don't want to fill the tank to the max as it reduced cleaning effectiveness. You will need to change the solution at least twice to properly clean a batch of brass. When I say properly, I mean primer pockets completely clean and spotless. I generally spend about 3 Hrs+ cleaning one batch. Again I'm doing this to completely clean out the primer pockets. For detergents, I use dove and citramax for the first solution, then hornady one shot for the final solution. Do not use a vineger solution. Vineger will leach out the zinc in the brass weakening it. The brass is nice and shiny when done. However, It will tarnish while drying. So if you want it to be super shiny, you'll need to throw it in the tumbler for a little bit after it's dried.

If your not trying to clean the primer pockets, or maybe your reloading with a progressive press, you will be able to clean a batch of brass without having to change your cleaning solution.

Considering this monster is 9L, you will be able to clean a lot of brass at one sitting. However you still might want to tumble depending on how shiny you want your brass to be.

Is it worth it? To me it is. I really really REALLY hate cleaning the primer pockets. In the case of an ultrasonic cleaner, it won't mechanical warp the shape of the primer pocket. So I like it. I originally planned not to tumble my brass afterwords, but I just couldn't stand the sight of tarnished brass on my handloads. And even if you don't need to clean the primer pockets, ultrasonic cleaning gets the brass really really clean, inside the case and out. The brass is literally squeaky clean.

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    There is a special solution required by these. If you are using this for firearms, be very liberal with the lubrication and oil covering once you clean them as these things suck every bit of oil out of the metal, so they do require a good slathering in oil afterwards so they don't rust.
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales

Quote Originally Posted by Gobc View Post
    I have the regular 2L hornady ultrasonic cleaner and I'll weight in.

I like it but there things to be aware of when cleaning brass. In 2L, I clean about 100 308 win brass at a time. The max I can fit in my cleaner is 150 308 win. However you don't want to fill the tank to the max as it reduced cleaning effectiveness. You will need to change the solution at least twice to properly clean a batch of brass. When I say properly, I mean primer pockets completely clean and spotless. I generally spend about 3 Hrs+ cleaning one batch. Again I'm doing this to completely clean out the primer pockets. For detergents, I use dove and citramax for the first solution, then hornady one shot for the final solution. Do not use a vineger solution. Vineger will leach out the zinc in the brass weakening it. The brass is nice and shiny when done. However, It will tarnish while drying. So if you want it to be super shiny, you'll need to throw it in the tumbler for a little bit after it's dried.

If your not trying to clean the primer pockets, or maybe your reloading with a progressive press, you will be able to clean a batch of brass without having to change your cleaning solution.

Considering this monster is 9L, you will be able to clean a lot of brass at one sitting. However you still might want to tumble depending on how shiny you want your brass to be.

Is it worth it? To me it is. I really really REALLY hate cleaning the primer pockets. In the case of an ultrasonic cleaner, it won't mechanical warp the shape of the primer pocket. So I like it. I originally planned not to tumble my brass afterwords, but I just couldn't stand the sight of tarnished brass on my handloads. And even if you don't need to clean the primer pockets, ultrasonic cleaning gets the brass really really clean, inside the case and out. The brass is literally squeaky clean.
    3 hours?

I just cleaned 150 beautifully clean in 45 minutes. What solution to water ratio are you using.

I am debating getting the Lyman Turbo Sonic 2500 or something similar in one of Hornady cleaners, which one would be a better unit? I also do not like dirty brass in my reloads.

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by neal View Post
    3 hours?

I just cleaned 150 beautifully clean in 45 minutes. What solution to water ratio are you using.
    I'm not sure, but I'm putting a reasonable amount of solution in. Are you getting the priming pockets clean in 45 min? When I say clean, I mean as if the brass was new sort of clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobc View Post
    I'm not sure, but I'm putting a reasonable amount of solution in. Are you getting the priming pockets clean in 45 min? When I say clean, I mean as if the brass was new sort of clean.
    I only use the Lyman solution and use a stronger dose for larger loads like what is recommended and the brass comes out new brass clean in 45 minutes. Try using just the hornady but a healthier dose than you are now and make sure your water is heated enough and run one 5 minute cycle before putting the brass in to help evenly distribute the solution.

CGN frequent flyer
    I think I will try that. Its not a huge deal though, It's not like it's hard to run it in the clean for a little longer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast