Thread: Packaging Oil Question ??

CGN Regular

Packaging Oil Question ??

Recently purchased a Type 97 and also a m14, both by Norinco, looking forward to trying them out.

Both Guns came very thoroughly coated in packaging oil in the box.

I was wondering if the oil that the factory ships these rifles with has proper lubricating properties, or like Cosmoline which is ONLY a preservative, does the packaging oil need to be thoroughly flushed and replaced with actual fire arms lubricating oil before attempting to shoot (?).

Should Norinco rifles be thoroughly cleaned, inspected, and wiped down, and re-lubricated by new purchasers (my usual routine with a new gun) or are they good to go right out of the box?

I also know that usually having oil in a gas tube is a bad idea since it can form a varnish coating from use.

You need to thoroughly clean and lube this oil.

CGN Regular
    That's what I figured...

Thanks!
    Member: CSSA

If you need examples of firearms saving lives, please visit for daily updates- http://bearingarms.com/category/guns-saving-lives/

CGN Regular
    I've never owned a Norinco so I can't say for sure if its cosmoline or not, but my advice would be to give both rifles a throughout cleaning and re-lubrication either way. Its always a smart idea to inspect the rifles inside and out before shooting them. Personally I prefer to use frog-lube in replacement of factory lubricants anyways.

CGN Regular
    Good advice.

The SOCOM M14 I just got actually had three little bags of cloth tied to the rifle at the trigger guard and the two sling loops that were soaked in this oil and the stuff was everywhere. I guess the bags act like reservoirs. Oil actually soaked past the plastic bag the rifle was in, through the styrofoam packing, and oil stained the cardboard shipping box. Man, these guys are thorough!

It's pretty light oil, not as bad a Cosmoline, which is like a wax paste and needs a solvent to soften to remove.

Have not tried FrogLube yet, but have been using Gunslick for years. I like the pump-spray bottle, good for coating larger surfaces like bolts and receivers.
    Last edited by JimDuncan; 11-10-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    Member: CSSA

If you need examples of firearms saving lives, please visit for daily updates- http://bearingarms.com/category/guns-saving-lives/