Page 16 of 47 FirstFirst ... 6891011121314151617181920212223242636 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors - BC

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Splatter's Avatar
    Hi Charlie. Can't recommend a lower mainland dealer anymore, because I don't live/shop there anymore.

However, you do realize that asking a question in the appropriate forum here at GunNutz will net you the opinions of some of the 'best-and-brightest" in the country, right?

We have trap and skeet shooters here, and successful hunters by the bucketful and for handgun we have IPSC, PPC, IDPA, Bullseye and silhouette shooters here, not to mention a hockey-sock full of plinkers.

Plus, the Equipment Exchange lets you tap-in to fellow gun nuts from across Canada.

I'm not saying "Don't visit your local shops.", do, please, support you local gunshops. I'm just reminding you that you are now "jacked-in" to a network of a couple 100k shooters now.
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. "

Noam Chomsky

CGN frequent flyer lil_juiced_coupe's Avatar
    really hit and miss, at least that is what i have found, 1st place i went to was reliable gun, great guys know their stuff but way to outta my way.

next went to italian, dealt with a guy name ken, awesome guy knows his stuff, really knowledgeable, but find personally when you go in there with what you want in your mind and tell them that, they say "i know u want a decent shotgun for 500-1000 dollars, but have u tried this 2800 dollar benelli, or this 3500 dollar over under?" and if u say u dont want those, they treat u like dirt, and pretty much say well your an idiot for not buying the expensive guns, i can understand they are trying to make a buck, but pushy sales are annoying. they do have tons of stock tho.

also tried out lever arms, guy who works there is nice enough, not very customer friendly tho.

I now deal with wanstalls, super nice guys, very knowledgeable, will lead you where you wanna go regardless of how much they make, very friendly, only problem is small selection of firearms.

also tried blue-line in poco, very strange set up, bad selection of everything, and the owner runs an online company that "ships guns to south africa for the army" iunno, nice enough guy tho

Wanstalls is the best imo, but all my friends go to different dealers and have different experiences, different stroke for different folks

Thanks for the advice guys.

Yeah, that was what I was worried about with going to a dealer, being pushed into a higher price range than I am comfortable with.

And yeah, I have, and will continue to dig through the awesome wealth of info on this site. It's been very valuable.

Thanks again
    Last edited by charlie3133; 01-26-2010 at 12:44 PM.

edit: circumstance changed
    Last edited by boomboy; 02-20-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Hey! I am new to this site! Looking for someone in Victoria who can show me the gun clubs.

Also, I am currently owning a 270 (which i hunt with) but am looking for something with a little more power and not so much recoil. (Dont get me wrong I know how to hold a big gun) Would anyone be into going out with theirs? I'll supply whatever else is needed.. PM me please

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Splatter's Avatar
    Hi Barbie.
    Looking for something with more power; but less recoil is going to be pretty tough. Usually the power and recoil thing go hand-in-glove.
    There are some tricks that several members, here on the board, can help you with. Installing a really squishy recoil pad and a good muzzle brake on your present rifle will make you feel a lot less of the recoil.
    As well, when you have your recoil pad installed, check the length of your stock to make sure it fits you.
    "If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. "

Noam Chomsky

Hey i'm from abbotsford, i'm wondering where I can take the PAL-R course and if someone could show me the ropes? i have fired a variety of pistols/rifles/shotgun, before.

For Abbotsford, try contacting someone from either the mission range or the Abbotsford (Correction) range. Or go to a local gun store.
    They're usually all connected.
    DAVID

Moving to Esquimalt

Looking moving to Esquimalt this summer from Manitoba. Looking for ranges for handgun/AR/Rifle that are nearby. Hopefully with at least 100m. Also what are good stores for parts/powder and such.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer pontcanna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wpnstec421 View Post
    Looking moving to Esquimalt this summer from Manitoba. Looking for ranges for handgun/AR/Rifle that are nearby. Hopefully with at least 100m. Also what are good stores for parts/powder and such.
    Victoria Fish and Game (on the Malahat, about 35 min. north of Victoria)
    http://www.vfgpa.org/

North Saanich Rod and Gun Club (near the airport, 30 min north of Victoria on the way to the ferries)
    http://www.nsrg.org/nsrg/

Juan de Fuca Gun Club
    Rustic range (very reasonable fees) located about 45 minutes west of Victoria, in the East Sooke/Metchosin area. No website, but ask for details at Pullen's Gunsmithing, 1698 Millstream, 5 minute drive from the Langford big box stores. Pullens is only open Fri-Sun., 10-6. Good place for parts/powder, though you will find the Island quite expensive for components (could try Wholesale Sports in Nanaimo).

The other parts/powder/gunshop is Island Outfitters on Douglas St., just outside of downtown.
    "Somewhat sarcastic doorknob"
    -Foxer, June 15/05