Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 919212223242526272829

Thread: Surplus Garands from South Korea westrifle.com

CGN Regular
    It would seem that there are a few threads going on on here about the same topic, if not, the same titled threat, but different posting. So, I will cover this again and maybe add a few extra comments with it.

This whole subject of the Korean Garands is getting bigger than the JFK assassination. In the last year, I have seen guys pass up on Arsenal over hauled and refurbished Garands that had new VAR barrels on them and all new parts (One was a Winchester receiver) that were priced at $1500, and yet they passed on them speaking of waiting for the Garands that are coming from Korea.... I have to wonder if these same guys passed on all the video games that came out after the second to last Duke Nukem in hope of and waiting for the next Duke Nukem. There are no guaranties about the Garands out of Korea, look at what happened with the Greek Garands down south, they showed up and the barrels were rotted out, I am sure the Op-rods and Gas Cylinders were no better. But, they did show up. The talk of the garands in Korea have been going for at least 12 years. From what I have heard from a reliable source, yes they are coming, yes coming to Canada, no we don't have dates nailed down, and when they finally show up, they company bringing them in is going to take its time before selling them and go through every one of them, decide if there are parts guns, save what can be saved, assess the rest of them, and then look at pricing. Then and only then, will they go up for sale.

I seem to recall something stated over 60 years ago, that in the near future we would all have flying cars..... I guess I will pass on buying a regular car and wait for a flying car....

Originally Posted by ajagcapt View Post
    Part of the reason for the excitement/optimism may be related to the fact that there seems to be a reasonably consistent number of "reliable sources" who opine from some better position of information that "that they are coming".

You are lucky that you have such a source of information, while the rest of us are left with conjecture.
    Spending the time I have in the crowd I have has given me some little ins. Yes, I would love to add one or two or even three more Garands to my collection. It would be nice to get a Winchester and IHC, but also I am still in need of a M1D.... Maybe luck out and kill two birds with one stone! But, I know that getting hyped up about these guns is pointless till there are here and up for sale. Like I said, the subject of these Garands has been there for at least 12 years. Unfortunately, there seems to much talk on this subject, and it has spread like wild fire. So, there are lots of people with high hopes thinking that these guns are going to be much cheaper than market value as of right now. Look at what the prices have been on some of the junk Garands.... I know of one such situation where a guy bought two Garands (this is going back 5-6 years ago) and after getting them, found that it was better to strip them down and build one that was MAYBE 55-65% OK, and sell one complete Garand at $1,800 (Average at that time was around $900-1200 here in town) and he sold off the receiver for most likely the arm and leg. I have seen the "measuring contest" go on when it come to comparing and pricing rather than using the blue book idea of pricing. Best example was 4 years ago with Israeli K98K's in .308, in one day looking at them online IN CANADA for sale by different sellers, the prices ranged from $450 to $1300! It was like "Well, he is asking $450 for that, BUT mine has better wood! $650" and the next guy looks at this "Well, hell, mine has a PERFECT barrel, so it must be worth $700 and then next guy looks at all this "Crap, MINE still has the MAUSER emblem stamp on the stock and a perfect MAUSER banner on top center of the receiver ring.... AND IT'S MAUSER.... MAUSER I TELL YOU!!! ONE MILLI.. I Mean One thousand dollars!".

But I have seen the other guys from the other side of this as well, "Oh, well, that old junker than Grandpa left you has surface rust in these two places, the barrel is a little dark, someone has hammered a "P" on the under side of the pistol grip, and hammered some french crossed cannon thingy on the left side of the stock. Someone has hammered their initials "NM" on the top back end of the Op-Rod, Drilled out the rear sight to add in a drum like hood with a smaller hole... and it is only made by International Harvester, if it was Springfield, Winchester or even H&R Arms it would be worth a bit more, but IHC.... I'll give you $500 for it. I doubt I can sell it in this shape, but I can probably make use of some of the parts...." <- this guy is no ones friend and has a special place in hell waiting for him!

That said, I will not try and say what these thing are or are not worth. Being 30, I got in with a group of guys that are much older than I am, and screamed at them to teach me what they know, kept asking questions, and showing that I wanted to learn. It paid off in a number of ways, the most fortunate ways has been the stuff IN my collection. Have I paid what the book said all of them are/were worth? Not always, usually, there have been the dope deals of trade work for GIC (Gun In Closet), a couple times, I was just down right lucky and got the deal of the century because it is know why I want the piece, to collect and even let others shoot when out on the firing line, and put up on display at the local gun show. Are there guys out there that are driving the prices up for unreasonable personal gain? I would suggest looking towards the 2 yellow banners at the top of every page on CGN and ask what really started that whole issue... one business owner getting bent out of shape because he found out there was competition over his pet project and tried destroying the competition's business by calling Dudley Do Right. I just think back to one guy at the Calgary Easter Gun Show that had a cobbled together M1D (it was a standard barrel with a reproduction mounting block) with a $3500 price tag and a Remington 1903A3 with aluminum aperture lyman sight on the back end and a rigged up globe front sight (With a $1000 price tag on it) and tried saying it was an original Army/Marine National Match rifle....

So, to add to this and even recap, Are they coming? Yes When? Some time between now and when they go up for sale.

Should you pass up on a Garand that is in front of you with a good price tag? Umm.....would you paas up getting laid????

Condition of the Garands? Sorry, but they have been bought sight unseen. Expect to hear about a wide spectrum, MAYBE even unissued.

Pricing? Will they be Cheap? Cheap? Cheap is a pot metal 22 Lr Revolver that breaks after 200 rounds. Inexpensive? NOT BLOODY LIKELY! Will they be insane prices? I honestly hope not but time will tell. Condition will be a major deciding factor, along with maker, the number of matching MAKERS parts in the gun and another things that might add in, Ie. Win-13, gas Trap (DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH), Arrow head, National Match, ect. Will we see $500 Garands? Only with heavy drinking and an old "For Sale" ad. The earlier comment of $500 and grab a boyd stock.... A complete trigger group is selling for $150 if you ar lucky up to $300 if it is NM Spec. A complete bolt is $150-$200, A Gas Tube isn't any better than a bolt. and it goes on. You get a $500 Garand, I don't want you anywhere near me when you touch it off!

Parts guns? Last information that I got, most likely, yes, there will be parts up for sale.

When will they be here? Ask they guys that started talking about these Garands out of Korea 12 years ago. They will be here when they get here. until then, you see one you can afford to buy and if you want it.... BUY IT!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sillymike View Post
    Wonder how many Breda Marstar had bought?... If I remember correctly, they were at $199 if you bought 2 or 3...
    About 10-12 years ago SIR was selling Bredas in cosmolione for 200$/gun. They had 3 skids piled about 5 feet high as I recall.
    Pricing all depends on how many come into Canada and the condition they're in. If some of the stories about the Koreans treating them like firewood...well, a beaten gun is a beaten gun.
    Beware the man of one book.
    -Saint Thomas Aquinas

Gold, silver, and lead. Freedoms' precious metals - -anon

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mark-II's Avatar
    I think the difficulty is in the uneducated here, like myself, who just want a solid gun to shoot do not know what constitutes a good price.

$1500 and up is a lot of money to pay for what is what my dad would call a "dicked with" rifle, for a guy without deep pockets. Especially an auto loader, which may have all manner of issues that bolt or lever guns are not susceptible to, and which may not be apparent when looking at it in a dark hall.

And every Garand that I've seen in the wild, and there have not been many, would qualify for being called dicked-with.

CGN Regular
    If you wish to call it a Dicked with Garand, then you will be looking for a very long time to find a factory original (all original parts from original maker as of date or removal from factory) and be spending $2000-3000. This isn't like Mausers, Lugers, or Lee Enfields where ever part is serial numbered to one gun. Garands use Drawing Codes on the parts. While an early follower arm might have a drawing code of B8869 while the hammer for the same gun will have a drawing code of C46008, a safety of C46015, Op-Rod of 7780722, trigger housing of D28290, bolt of D28287, and a barrel of D535448. Now, they could all be marked SA for Springfield Armory, or W.R.A. or H.R.A. or I.H.C. They again they could be a mix of all the above and up to and including P.B. or Breda parts too. None the less, it is still a correct Garand. $1500 for a Garand that has all new parts in it is a VERY GOOD DEAL, ESPECIALLY A VAR BARREL! Think about it, what will a NEW Springfield Armory M-1A cost you? What does an entry grade, american built AR-15 cost you? $1500 is a lot to spend if you have deep pockets or not. The question is, do you want one? And Are you willing to pay the price? This is the same as, Are you willing to pay the $3000-$4000 for a Swiss Arms rifle? No, ok, buy an AR-15 instead.

I know of 1, read it, ONE all factory original Garand. Bought by the Brits, left in the crate until it was sold off as surplus along with a pile of other like Garands, and the guy that bought it bought it back in the late 70's early 80's. If you want an ALL ORIGINAL Garand, ok, scrape the $3000 together and I will talk to him. The gun is MINT, i mean perfect condition.

Otherwise, give your head a shake. this is like saying I want an all original un dicked with 1957 Corvette. It ain't gonna happen buddy. Things get worn when they get used, especially something used in war, then then get replaced with new parts made by part of either the same manufacture or different, and either the same vintage, or up graded. So, Mark-II, there are 4 different variations on Op-Rods, 3 if not 4 on barrels, 2 or 3 on sights, 2 on gas tubes, 4 on follower rod, hammers, trigger housings, stocks, receivers, and the list goes on. It was a military gun, that started with the gas trap and they kept improving it. So, leave the "Dicked With" comment alone, it is a military gun that saw over 30 years of reliable service.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-II View Post
    I think the difficulty is in the uneducated here, like myself, who just want a solid gun to shoot do not know what constitutes a good price.

$1500 and up is a lot of money to pay for what is what my dad would call a "dicked with" rifle, for a guy without deep pockets. Especially an auto loader, which may have all manner of issues that bolt or lever guns are not susceptible to, and which may not be apparent when looking at it in a dark hall.

And every Garand that I've seen in the wild, and there have not been many, would qualify for being called dicked-with.

CGN frequent flyer
    Any new updates on the the Korean garands?

The true mint factory Garand will be some of the beretta and Breda guns. They are all matching and correct. There were pairs and
    consecutive numbered guns. I have pairs and consecutive numbered guns from Denmark .

Quote Originally Posted by serbinator View Post
    Any new updates on the the Korean garands?
    I read on Century Arms (USA) site they were laying people off because their import of these was blocked. Maybe that means we can get some up here.

Here's the text:

Century International Arms
    236 Bryce Boulevard
    Fairfax, Vermont 05454

5 June 2014

For Immediate Release

Century International Arms Recent Vermont Employee Layoffs Due to Import Denial

Century is one of the country’s largest importers of highly-collectible, historical
    firearms. It is also one of the largest employers in Franklin County, providing its
    employees and numerous vendors with high-quality manufacturing jobs.

Century had been planning on a large importation of vintage WWII, M1 Garand
    Rifles from the South Korean government. All the normal approvals were in place
    to obtain the import permits for this sale from ATF. Century had invested considerable
    funds in seeking the approvals and financing for this transaction. It was expected that
    this nearly 30 million dollar transaction would have provided a reliable revenue stream
    to Century even during the general downturn in firearms demand in 2014. Additionally,
    the sales proceeds were going to be used by the South Korean government to purchase
    modern firearms for their defense forces.

Unfortunately and unexpectedly, The White House intervened at the last minute and
    blocked this importation. This importation was denied despite our explaining that the
    denial would harm the company and pointing out that there is no rational, gun-control
    reason to block the importation of these historic, 70-year-old firearms.

As a consequence of this denial, there has been a reduction in work and Century has
    had to make the difficult decision to layoff 41 Vermont employees. Nevertheless,
    Century has modernized production in several key operations areas, developed new
    products, and intensified our sales efforts in various markets. We fully expect that
    the industry-wide downturn in demand from government, law enforcement and
    consumer customers will rebound in the coming months. When that rebound
    happens, Century will be well poised to take advantage of these future growth
    opportunities and expand our workforce.

Century is grateful for the support it has received so far from Senator Leahy and
    Governor Shumlin. And Century is still hopeful that the White House will reconsider
    its decision on the Korea sale and allow this important transaction to proceed, which
    would have a direct, positive impact on Century’s employees, Vermonters, and
    America’s gun collecting community.

Any comments from Tradeex or Marstar?
    Gun Control: A child's idea of a safe society.

id go 600 in a shooting one