Page 22 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2121415161718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors - Sask.

So I'll be moving to Rockglen or Assiniboia in the New Year and I'm looking for a range to join. I primarily enjoy shooting handguns but since I'll be out in the prairies for at least a year, perhaps I'd like to try my hand at long range precision as well; I'd likely buy a Remington 700 in .308 for that purpose.
    CCFR, CSSA, NFA

Regina area… I volunteer as a Range Officer and Safety Instructor for the Wascana Pistol Club. Anyone interested in pistol shooting (even if you don't have an RPAL) can come and check out our new shooter nights.
    Tuesdays and Thursdays between 7pm - 10pm. Everyone welcome.
    www.wascanapistolclub.com

Quote Originally Posted by holypistoli View Post
    Regina area… I volunteer as a Range Officer and Safety Instructor for the Wascana Pistol Club. Anyone interested in pistol shooting (even if you don't have an RPAL) can come and check out our new shooter nights.
    Tuesdays and Thursdays between 7pm - 10pm. Everyone welcome.
    www.wascanapistolclub.com
    My Wife and I think that that would make a great date night! Also I would like to get my rpal, I have my pal already. Would you mind shooting me a PM when the next one is offered?
    Originally Posted by TheTooner
    I'd rather hunt and come home to eat Kraft Dinner than not hunt and get to eat meat.

Hey all just wondering if someone could provide me with contact information for firearms instructors in and around the prince albert area? names,E-mails,prices,phone numbers. Thanks

Anyone know of a range around Saskatoon that a guy can practice gun fighter drills? Wildlife fed doesn't even allow you to shoot from prone

Hi from regina I am currently waiting for my Pal and RPal and am looking forward to purchasing my first gun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Semper Paratus

Quote Originally Posted by Savage78 View Post
    Hi from regina I am currently waiting for my Pal and RPal and am looking forward to purchasing my first gun.
    Me too! Hopefully it will be approved soon. My list of guns is getting long haha. Which club are you going to join? I'm leaning towards the Wascana Pistol Club.

BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Sveinn84 View Post
    Me too! Hopefully it will be approved soon. My list of guns is getting long haha. Which club are you going to join? I'm leaning towards the Wascana Pistol Club.
    It's actually so long to finally get our licenses that we could start a club Canada wide lol

"The waiting for License Club"

CGN Regular
    Welcome to you Regina guys! Talking about ranges, you should give thought first to what sort of shooting you want to do, how much you plan to do, how much you can AFFORD to do, and if
    you're approaching range time as just a place to go make a bunch of noise and have fun ( NOT suggesting there is anything wrong with that at all, BTW) or if there are skills you want to work on or develop.
    For a city the size of Regina, you're REALLY lucky to have ranges of the quality you have, for the price they charge. I belong to both; when we first arrived in Regina, Wascana was closer to where we lived. Now Condie is a bit closer and since I do a lot more long arm shooting than pistol these days, I shoot there 90% of the time. As nice an "idea" as it is to say you're going to shoot 3-5 times a week, most of it handgun, the reality is different for almost everyone. I'm retired and HAVE the time, and can generally afford to shoot a reasonable amount, and find that I can usually increase my range trips per week by at least 25% if I'm shooting long gun; just more variety of calibre's, positions, ranges, skills work, etc. That's personal preference completely though.

The Condie range is my "go-to" for a few reasons. It's close to town, the hours are really broad, so you aren't always having to check the sked to see if there are any times on a given day you can shoot at all. It's a VERY well set up, well-maintained facility. Covered shooting positions, concrete benches, clubhouse, shotgun (trap & skeet) ranges, archery ranges, dedicated pistol lanes. I came from Calgary and was shooting at a range that wasn't half as nice, and paying over 5 times what I pay here. For under $75. s year per person, you can't beat it with a stick!

Truth be told, do what hundreds of people do and just join both. You'll get your money out of them with a couple trips a week throughout the year, easily. We are moving back to Alberta at the end of the month, and I will not miss a lot from Regina, but the ranges will be high on the list; they are really good facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Yycadm View Post
    Welcome to you Regina guys! Talking about ranges, you should give thought first to what sort of shooting you want to do, how much you plan to do, how much you can AFFORD to do, and if
    you're approaching range time as just a place to go make a bunch of noise and have fun ( NOT suggesting there is anything wrong with that at all, BTW) or if there are skills you want to work on or develop.
    For a city the size of Regina, you're REALLY lucky to have ranges of the quality you have, for the price they charge. I belong to both; when we first arrived in Regina, Wascana was closer to where we lived. Now Condie is a bit closer and since I do a lot more long arm shooting than pistol these days, I shoot there 90% of the time. As nice an "idea" as it is to say you're going to shoot 3-5 times a week, most of it handgun, the reality is different for almost everyone. I'm retired and HAVE the time, and can generally afford to shoot a reasonable amount, and find that I can usually increase my range trips per week by at least 25% if I'm shooting long gun; just more variety of calibre's, positions, ranges, skills work, etc. That's personal preference completely though.

The Condie range is my "go-to" for a few reasons. It's close to town, the hours are really broad, so you aren't always having to check the sked to see if there are any times on a given day you can shoot at all. It's a VERY well set up, well-maintained facility. Covered shooting positions, concrete benches, clubhouse, shotgun (trap & skeet) ranges, archery ranges, dedicated pistol lanes. I came from Calgary and was shooting at a range that wasn't half as nice, and paying over 5 times what I pay here. For under $75. s year per person, you can't beat it with a stick!

Truth be told, do what hundreds of people do and just join both. You'll get your money out of them with a couple trips a week throughout the year, easily. We are moving back to Alberta at the end of the month, and I will not miss a lot from Regina, but the ranges will be high on the list; they are really good facilities.
    Thanks for the tips. I work out of town, so I won't be going every week or anything. But I do plan on first, getting comfortable shooting, then on to fine tuning my skills. I have a list of guns I intend to buy as soon as I get my RPAL. One of the first being a Glock 17 Gen 4, I'm still trying to decide which rifle to get, but it will be used for hunting. I'll also be getting a semi auto 12 gauge for bird hunting. First I need to get my aim dialed in, so I can hunt confidently, and responsibly. I don't want to simply injure and animal, and have it run off and suffer. I want to be able to get that one shot kill. I have a long way to go. I think I'll also look into some sort of tactical training, for pistols. I do plan on doing extra training with pistols for sure.

I think I will take your advice and sign up to both ranges.