Page 49 of 73 FirstFirst ... 293941424344454647484950515253545556575969 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors -Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Ericja View Post
    Thanks man! I fear that will be the case, so im definately gonna check those ones out. The request still stands though, if anyone turns up!
    Urb
    Last edited by danyuld; 07-24-2017 at 07:31 AM.

Hello all. I am brand new to this and i would really like for someone to point me in the direction for some experience. also any tips on costs would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda392 View Post
    Hello all. I am brand new to this and i would really like for someone to point me in the direction for some experience. also any tips on costs would be appreciated.
    Hello Yoda,

I am kind of new as well, welcome to CGN! Do you have your PAL/RPAL yet? If not, I'm waiting as well and have been going to Silverdale in St.Anns and Target Sports in Gormley(closer to Barrie). What kind of calibres and firearms are you interested in? I have some basic knowledge, but I'm sure the more experienced mentors here will soon chime in!

I know of an upcoming thing in your area, PM me if interested.

Amol
    CSSA | CCFR
    "The only way to be free is to let others be free"

wow thanks for quick reply. no to the licenses (not yet anyways). I am interested in handguns, 9mm maybe .45's. i have never shot before and would like to try my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda392 View Post
    wow thanks for quick reply. no to the licenses (not yet anyways). I am interested in handguns, 9mm maybe .45's. i have never shot before and would like to try my hand.
    Target Sports in Gormley (as others have mentioned) has a few options for those who have no license and want to try their hand at shooting. They do allow walk-ins, but I can tell you from experience they get pretty busy on weekends. They also allow bookings, but not for single shooters (groups only). They also have a group rate shooting package which is around $100 per person and includes 20 rounds of 9mm, 20 rounds of .40S&W, 10 rounds of .45ACP, and 5 shells of 12 gauge (targets are included). Certainly not the cheapest, but if you can't find a licensed shooter willing to bring you as a guest, this at least allows you to try out a few different firearms. I don't know of anywhere closer to Barrie where you could pay to shoot like this.
    Member: CSSA, CCFR, IPSC, and SASS.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticHound View Post
    Target Sports in Gormley (as others have mentioned) has a few options for those who have no license and want to try their hand at shooting. They do allow walk-ins, but I can tell you from experience they get pretty busy on weekends. They also allow bookings, but not for single shooters (groups only). They also have a group rate shooting package which is around $100 per person and includes 20 rounds of 9mm, 20 rounds of .40S&W, 10 rounds of .45ACP, and 5 shells of 12 gauge (targets are included). Certainly not the cheapest, but if you can't find a licensed shooter willing to bring you as a guest, this at least allows you to try out a few different firearms. I don't know of anywhere closer to Barrie where you could pay to shoot like this.
    You're right about them being busy, I called in a couple of times before I went this month, they only had room on the third day I called, which was Tuesday around noon. And costs add up quick! I spent a little over $200 in 2 hours! I might have been over-excited by all the choices

They had a Smith & Wesson revolver in .357 magnum, I shot .38 specials only till it came apart, do try if they have it fixed by the time you go in! It really turned me onto revolvers and replaced a semi auto on wish list!
    Last edited by amolkapoor; 05-27-2015 at 12:23 PM.
    CSSA | CCFR

Hello all, my older cousin recently took me out to a shooting range and I instantly fell in love with shooting. I was wondering if there were any places I could get my PAL/RPAL inside the Toronto area? I do not have the most reasonable means of transportation (car only on the weekends) so I would prefer the closest to Toronto that has some kind of public transportation. The closest place I know so far is Target Sports in Markham which will take me roughly 1+ hour to communte (I live in the TTC Downsview station area)

It might be a little farther north by 5-10 min. but is way closer to young street then Target is, check out Rouge river arms, Chris and Maya run classes at least once a month, it would take you less then 10 min from the bus stop at young and henderson to walk to there store. good luck

Hello vtyou,

Welcome to the sport, I'm new as well and absolutely loving it! You can look up licenced shooters here: http://www.fseso.org/public-instructor-search

I highly recommend Dino in Barrie, I took both my courses with him on weekends, so hopefully you can make it that far. Please feel free to pm me if I can help further, there's actually an upcoming thing you might be interested in.

Take care,
    Amol

Quote Originally Posted by vtyou View Post
    Hello all, my older cousin recently took me out to a shooting range and I instantly fell in love with shooting. I was wondering if there were any places I could get my PAL/RPAL inside the Toronto area? I do not have the most reasonable means of transportation (car only on the weekends) so I would prefer the closest to Toronto that has some kind of public transportation. The closest place I know so far is Target Sports in Markham which will take me roughly 1+ hour to communte (I live in the TTC Downsview station area)
    CSSA | CCFR

Hi all I'm new here and am looking for some guidance and maybe a little bit of wisdom.

I'm in the process of getting my PAL/RPAL the application is in and the RCMP took my money so I figure I'm far enough along to start asking some of the questions that will help me avoid some bad decisions.

For the time being I'm getting into shooting for target shooting not hunting.

So I guess my questions would be:

1) where are the good places near London where we can shoot?
    2a) when I get my license what are recommended first guns for a newb at shooting?
    2b) would someone be able to walk me through the process of buying my first gun and what are the things I need to look for in buying a gun.
    3) As a newb anything else that can be recommended that I really should know but probably don't know... This is that wisdom i need to learn.