Page 50 of 73 FirstFirst ... 304042434445464748495051525354555657586070 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors -Ontario

1) Don't know about shooting ranges near London, sorry.

2a) I would recommend finding a range where you can try a few firearms out to see what you like. Not just firearms either, but calibre. .22LR is fairly easy to shoot (very low recoil) and relatively inexpensive, but the ammunition availability can come and go. For pistol rounds, 9mm is fairly inexpensive - especially when purchased in bulk - and the recoil is not too harsh. Ultimately, if it's your first firearm and you want to get lots of practice in, you can't go wrong with .22LR and it's always good to have one in your collection for the day you want to introduce shooting to a newcomer.

As for the firearms themselves, a lot of that is subjective - like picking out a car. What feels right to you? Do you want the exact same trigger pull every shot (double-action only/striker fired) or something that can do single-action shooting as well, where the trigger pull will be very light. Polymer firearms will generally be lighter in weight, but that also means less weight to absorb recoil. Grip size relative to your hand, where the controls are located, how it feels when you bring it up to sight in, etc. Some pistols have a high bore axis (where the barrel sits relative to your hand), which can make the recoil flip the gun up a bit more. As you can see, it really helps to be able to fire a large variety of firearms and calibres to see what you like.

2b) Once you have the gun you want picked out, you can either order it at a brick-and-mortar store, buy it online and have it shipped to you, or purchase a used firearm. If it's non-restricted, you supply your PAL and, if at a store, take it home with you straight away. If restricted, you will need to wait for the transfer request (moves the registration into your name) to be approved as well as get an Authorization to Transport to move it from the store to your home. The nice thing about buying online is you can skip the ATT part as it gets shipped to you (unless you miss the delivery and have to go pick it up at the Post Office, in which case you will need an ATT for that little trip).

Do your research and find what the most reasonable price is for the firearm you want. Also keep in mind that when buying used, many people often ask far more than the firearm is worth, so be diligent and make sure you have some ideas on what is fair price-wise. If you *do* need to transport a restricted home from the store, you will need a locking device for the firearm (trigger or cable lock typically) as well as an opaque case which is also locked. Some firearms come in cases that can be locked with a padlock, but keep in mind that most of those are not designed to accept the firearm with a trigger lock installed (they are too narrow), so a cable lock may be the way to go in that instance. In the long run, you are probably better off purchasing a decent pistol or rifle case since you will be using it for years to come to transport to and from the range.

3) Figure out where you plan to store your firearms. For restricteds, you are okay storing them in a case, trigger/cable locked and the case locked as well. Always unloaded, regardless of class. You can keep ammunition in the same case as the firearm, but if you purchase ammo in bulk, there won't be much room, so I prefer dedicated ammunition boxes/cans for that. If you can afford it, get yourself a decent gun safe or cabinet and bolt it to the floor and/or wall. You will need to buy yourself some eyes and ears (safety glasses and hearing protection) - there are lots of options out there and you can do your own research on what may work best for you - everything from passive sets that sit over your whole ear, to active ones that use electronics to cancel loud noises while still allowing you to hear things like range officer commands, to ear buds that sit inside your ear canal.

I would say don't spend a lot until you have dipped your toes in a bit, but buy the best things you can afford. If you have a friend who shoots, go to the range with them and see if you like any of their firearms, or find a range that rents firearm packages so you can try a few things out. If you decide in the long run to do a lot of shooting, you can look into reloading your own ammunition, but that is probably down the road aways if you're just starting out.

Hope this helps.
    Member: CSSA, CCFR, IPSC, and SASS.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticHound View Post
    1) Don't know about shooting ranges near London, sorry.

2a) I would recommend finding a range where you can try a few firearms out to see what you like. Not just firearms either, but calibre. .22LR is fairly easy to shoot (very low recoil) and relatively inexpensive, but the ammunition availability can come and go. For pistol rounds, 9mm is fairly inexpensive - especially when purchased in bulk - and the recoil is not too harsh. Ultimately, if it's your first firearm and you want to get lots of practice in, you can't go wrong with .22LR and it's always good to have one in your collection for the day you want to introduce shooting to a newcomer.

As for the firearms themselves, a lot of that is subjective - like picking out a car. What feels right to you? Do you want the exact same trigger pull every shot (double-action only/striker fired) or something that can do single-action shooting as well, where the trigger pull will be very light. Polymer firearms will generally be lighter in weight, but that also means less weight to absorb recoil. Grip size relative to your hand, where the controls are located, how it feels when you bring it up to sight in, etc. Some pistols have a high bore axis (where the barrel sits relative to your hand), which can make the recoil flip the gun up a bit more. As you can see, it really helps to be able to fire a large variety of firearms and calibres to see what you like.

2b) Once you have the gun you want picked out, you can either order it at a brick-and-mortar store, buy it online and have it shipped to you, or purchase a used firearm. If it's non-restricted, you supply your PAL and, if at a store, take it home with you straight away. If restricted, you will need to wait for the transfer request (moves the registration into your name) to be approved as well as get an Authorization to Transport to move it from the store to your home. The nice thing about buying online is you can skip the ATT part as it gets shipped to you (unless you miss the delivery and have to go pick it up at the Post Office, in which case you will need an ATT for that little trip).

Do your research and find what the most reasonable price is for the firearm you want. Also keep in mind that when buying used, many people often ask far more than the firearm is worth, so be diligent and make sure you have some ideas on what is fair price-wise. If you *do* need to transport a restricted home from the store, you will need a locking device for the firearm (trigger or cable lock typically) as well as an opaque case which is also locked. Some firearms come in cases that can be locked with a padlock, but keep in mind that most of those are not designed to accept the firearm with a trigger lock installed (they are too narrow), so a cable lock may be the way to go in that instance. In the long run, you are probably better off purchasing a decent pistol or rifle case since you will be using it for years to come to transport to and from the range.

3) Figure out where you plan to store your firearms. For restricteds, you are okay storing them in a case, trigger/cable locked and the case locked as well. Always unloaded, regardless of class. You can keep ammunition in the same case as the firearm, but if you purchase ammo in bulk, there won't be much room, so I prefer dedicated ammunition boxes/cans for that. If you can afford it, get yourself a decent gun safe or cabinet and bolt it to the floor and/or wall. You will need to buy yourself some eyes and ears (safety glasses and hearing protection) - there are lots of options out there and you can do your own research on what may work best for you - everything from passive sets that sit over your whole ear, to active ones that use electronics to cancel loud noises while still allowing you to hear things like range officer commands, to ear buds that sit inside your ear canal.

I would say don't spend a lot until you have dipped your toes in a bit, but buy the best things you can afford. If you have a friend who shoots, go to the range with them and see if you like any of their firearms, or find a range that rents firearm packages so you can try a few things out. If you decide in the long run to do a lot of shooting, you can look into reloading your own ammunition, but that is probably down the road aways if you're just starting out.

Hope this helps.
    Hello,

I found this post very informative.

I am new to this site and just received my PAL in the mail. I'm very excited to get my first firearm. I've done my research, shot several different firearms at Target sports and know the exact rifle I want to purchase, to start (SKS).

I live in Markham ON, and the problem I've run into is none of the clubs I have found in the vicinity of Markham are accepting new members or allow non-members to drop by (Except Target, but I don't know if they allow rifle rounds?). Are there any gun clubs within a reasonable distance that are accepting members you are aware of, where I can use a rifle?

Are there any options which I may have missed that someone can point me to?

Thank you all in advance!

MM
    Last edited by mmahdi; 06-16-2015 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by mmahdi View Post
    Hello,

I found this post very informative.

I am new to this site and just received my PAL in the mail. I'm very excited to get my first firearm. I've done my research, shot several different firearms at Target sports and know the exact rifle I want to purchase, to start (SKS).

I live in Markham ON, and the problem I've run into is none of the clubs I have found in the vicinity of Markham are accepting new members or allow non-members to drop by (Except Target, but I don't know if they allow rifle rounds?). Are there any gun clubs within a reasonable distance that are accepting members you are aware of, where I can use a rifle?

Are there any options which I may have missed that someone can point me to?

Thank you all in advance!

MM
    Finding clubs around the GTA that are taking members has been difficult for awhile. Regarding Target Sports - they are finishing renovations on Range B and the CFO won't certify the ranges until both are complete, so they don't know for sure what they will be permitted calibre-wise. My understanding though, was that they were not likely going to allow SKS rifles due to the prevalence of steel core surplus ammunition, but that was just a comment in passing I had heard from one of their employees, so take it for what it's worth.
    Member: CSSA, CCFR, IPSC, and SASS.

ArcticHound thanks for the post it was very informative, I spoke with a couple of friends of mine that do shoot and they are going to take me shooting in a couple of weeks and walk me through their collections so I can get some time on various firearms. Thanks again for the advise and putting it all in an easy to understand way.

Hey all,

My name is Spencer, I'm 25 and from Oshawa. I'll be taking my course for the PAL license this Wednesday at a place called The Cabin up in Uxbridge. I'm so excited to continue learning about fire arms (hands on for once!). What I'm most looking forward to is starting into the sport and hobby of target shooting :D

I've spoken to a local gun shop about some options about where to start; whether it be a .22lr, a .223 or something like a .308. I've heard plenty of pro's and con's about each calibre, quite a bit from this site specifically. I've had several people suggest a Savage Axis II XP, while some have said to step up to a Savage model 10. Most suggest staying away from Remington 700's as they can be hit or miss in quality.

What I'm hoping to find here is someone in the GTA who would be willing to help and show me a few things, so I don't end up making an expensive mistake on my first purchase. As for me, I'm the odd duck in my family when it comes to firearms. None of my friends shoot either, so I'm a bit stuck when it comes to having friends in the community. I would be more than happy to pay for the ammo I shoot and my range fees. I'll even help with reloading if you'd like. I'm here to learn

I'm doing my best to keep up with reading previous posts on this thread. I hate to sound repetitive or like a noob.
    Last edited by Sho34; 07-13-2015 at 01:28 AM.

Looking for a AR15 mentor in Etobicoke. Airport area. I own a AR-15 (as of yesterday) and would welcome any help input or experience! This AR15 thing is a little confusing. My ultimate goal is to end up with a nice straight shooting performance build!

Pm if interested

Hey all,

My name is Spencer, I'm 25 and from Oshawa. I'll be taking my course for the PAL license this Wednesday at a place called The Cabin up in Uxbridge. I'm so excited to continue learning about fire arms (hands on for once!). What I'm most looking forward to is starting into the sport and hobby of target shooting :D

I've spoken to a local gun shop about some options about where to start; whether it be a .22lr, a .223 or something like a .308. I've heard plenty of pro's and con's about each calibre, quite a bit from this site specifically. I've had several people suggest a Savage Axis II XP, while some have said to step up to a Savage model 10. Most suggest staying away from Remington 700's as they can be hit or miss in quality.

What I'm hoping to find here is someone in the GTA who would be willing to help and show me a few things, so I don't end up making an expensive mistake on my first purchase. As for me, I'm the odd duck in my family when it comes to firearms. None of my friends shoot either, so I'm a bit stuck when it comes to having friends in the community. I would be more than happy to pay for the ammo I shoot and my range fees. I'll even help with reloading if you'd like. I'm here to learn

I'm doing my best to keep up with reading previous posts on this thread. I hate to sound repetitive or like a noob.
    Hi Spencer, I am in Pickering and in the same boat. Have no local friends or family to tag along with to club. Just got my PAL earlier this year and would love to be able to join a club. Ideally Oshawa but they aren't even looking at membership until February. Anyway let me know if you've had any luck hooking up with someone. BTW, how was the training at Buckeye firearms...Dick and Tom are great. That's where I did my training. Anyway let me know. Maybe we should PM each other.

Hi guys my name Chris, Im from Markham, working in Ajax soon to move in Oshawa. If anyone wants to grab a coffee one day to share some info Im all for it. I have two shotguns and love shooting clay birds on some private land in up east, at least when ever I can get some free time that is. Im having the same problem to become a member at Local gunclubs, I can only assume they have a long waiting list of ppl ready to join. Send me PM, Im more than happy to chat with you guys that live around the GTA, Pickering, Ajax Bowmanville Area and also anywhere else.

Cheers

Hey everyone. I just received my pal a couple weeks ago. I've never been involved with firearms before and am very interested in learning to shoot. I am planning on getting a 22 rifle soon. Just like everyone else, I am having trouble finding any ranges accepting new members. If there is anyone in the GTA or even within decent drive time around who would be willig to help me get started, I would be very appreciative. I would be very interested in some shooting on someone's private land/range, etc. I'm interested in any kind of shooting.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Hi Chris,

I recently joined Target sports just up on Stouffvlile Road (east of the 404 up by Markham). It's pricey but I'm in Scarborough and that's the closest and most convenient one to me.

http://www.targetsportscanada.com/facility/membership