Page 55 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3545474849505152535455565758596061626365 ... LastLast

Thread: Meeting place for Newbies and Mentors -Ontario

Hey everyone , if anyone has any info on ranges near Barrie or Orillia that'd be great ! So far only ones I can find are a 2 year wait list or you need 2 sponsors which sadly I don't know any other shooters .

Cheers,

Shawn

I live in Newmarket, any ranges nearby? Been to Silverdale once, but not a fan of that long drive. Just want to shoot maybe 100yrds

Question Apartment Storage

tl;dr: Newbie (sport-shooter aspirant) apartment dweller looking for insight into legal, safe, and theft-deterring storage solution(s).

Long-winded version
    Couldn't find anything else posted on this topic; so here goes...

In a perfect world, in order to make my home and valuables prohibitively unpalatable to would-be thieves, I'd be a home owner, with a gun safe bolted to the concrete of my basement, inside of an enclosed room accessible through an inconspicuously camouflaged doorway.

(Well actually, in a truly perfect world, theft and violent crime wouldn't exist to begin with; but I digress.)

In the real world...
    1. I rent a reasonably sized 1-bedroom apartment on the bottom floor of a 6-plex.
    2. The neighborhood is increasingly gentrified area of Toronto.
    3. Violent crime is low here, with occasional (usually opportunistic, non-confrontational) property theft the only real possible cause for any concern -- in the sense of a random break-in while I'm away and the need to prevent them also stealing the firearms, ammo, and a few other high-value items.
    4. I live in a city and province whose populace, sadly, has been brainwashed to the point that even legitimate sport use of firearms seems to have been vehemently stigmatized
    5. Because of 4, I fear that I'm unlikely to get landlord approval to bolt anything to the floor. Never tried, never asked, not sure how to proceed.

As such, I am struggling to figure out how I can store a:
    • single handgun (+ammo)
    • bullion, jewellery, and other high-value/sentimental items

in such a way as to not only satisfy the RCMP's legal requirements, but exceed them; while also making theft of the contained items highly difficult and unlikely.

Surely I'm not the only apartment-dwelling sport-shooter (whether aspiring or actual) out there; so... thoughts?
    *and; to be clear: I currently do not own any firearms; nor am I licensed to (yet). I am merely researching at this point.
    ~ Elurinion

Any recently gone to the Connaught range?
    Last edited by scubafreak; 09-23-2016 at 08:48 AM.

Hey guys,

I'm a CGN in Ottawa. I just got my pal approval and now waiting to get the card in the mail. The plan is to buy an SKS and 1,500 rounds as soon as it comes in. However, I'm a complete noob. I've fired guns before but never owned one which means I've never cleaned one or sighted one in. I'd love some pointers and some range time if anyone is interested in helping me out.

Thanks

Hi, I'm a newbie in the Milton - K/W area. I would be grateful to anyone willing to show me either range or land areas to shoot. I have a small game licence and hold PAL/RPAL. I am more than willing to help.
    If you have a beverage of choice(within reason),I would be happy to pick one up for you as a thank you. To be enjoyed by you afterwards of course.
    KCCO

moved
    TERMS OF SALE - “Shipping” means tracked with a signature and $100 coverage, additional insurance is responsibility of the buyer. My liability ends when an item is accepted by Canada Post.

Quote Originally Posted by g00bak View Post
    Hey guys,

I'm a CGN in Ottawa. I just got my pal approval and now waiting to get the card in the mail. The plan is to buy an SKS and 1,500 rounds as soon as it comes in. However, I'm a complete noob. I've fired guns before but never owned one which means I've never cleaned one or sighted one in. I'd love some pointers and some range time if anyone is interested in helping me out.

Thanks
    Be sure to clean your rifle after every shooting day, leaving carbon in the rifle will cause it to corrode. Go to any gun store or warehouse store and pick up a simple cleaning kit. As far as disassembly goes, youtube is a great resource, search for SKS take down and cleaning and you'll find everything you need. As far as sighting in goes, the SKS is a pretty rough around the edges basic rifle, not much sighting in to be done on those iron sights, however, again youtube is your friend. Take everything you see and read (including this post lol) with a grain of salt, everyone is an expert on the internet. Treat the rifle like you would any tool. Respect it, keep it clean and don't point it at your face lol. Enjoy.
    TERMS OF SALE - “Shipping” means tracked with a signature and $100 coverage, additional insurance is responsibility of the buyer. My liability ends when an item is accepted by Canada Post.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchman86 View Post
    Be sure to clean your rifle after every shooting day, leaving carbon in the rifle will cause it to corrode. Go to any gun store or warehouse store and pick up a simple cleaning kit. As far as disassembly goes, youtube is a great resource, search for SKS take down and cleaning and you'll find everything you need. As far as sighting in goes, the SKS is a pretty rough around the edges basic rifle, not much sighting in to be done on those iron sights, however, again youtube is your friend. Take everything you see and read (including this post lol) with a grain of salt, everyone is an expert on the internet. Treat the rifle like you would any tool. Respect it, keep it clean and don't point it at your face lol. Enjoy.
    Thanks a lot for the words. I will keep that in mind. Just picked it up today. Super excited. I don't have a range membership yet so don't have anywhere to see it in action yet.

Anyone in the OTTAWA area who wants to bring a newbie as a guest? I have a ton of 7.62x39 to throw down range

Quote Originally Posted by Elurinion View Post
    tl;dr: Newbie (sport-shooter aspirant) apartment dweller looking for insight into legal, safe, and theft-deterring storage solution(s).

Long-winded version
    Couldn't find anything else posted on this topic; so here goes...

In a perfect world, in order to make my home and valuables prohibitively unpalatable to would-be thieves, I'd be a home owner, with a gun safe bolted to the concrete of my basement, inside of an enclosed room accessible through an inconspicuously camouflaged doorway.

(Well actually, in a truly perfect world, theft and violent crime wouldn't exist to begin with; but I digress.)

In the real world...
    1. I rent a reasonably sized 1-bedroom apartment on the bottom floor of a 6-plex.
    2. The neighborhood is increasingly gentrified area of Toronto.
    3. Violent crime is low here, with occasional (usually opportunistic, non-confrontational) property theft the only real possible cause for any concern -- in the sense of a random break-in while I'm away and the need to prevent them also stealing the firearms, ammo, and a few other high-value items.
    4. I live in a city and province whose populace, sadly, has been brainwashed to the point that even legitimate sport use of firearms seems to have been vehemently stigmatized
    5. Because of 4, I fear that I'm unlikely to get landlord approval to bolt anything to the floor. Never tried, never asked, not sure how to proceed.

As such, I am struggling to figure out how I can store a:
    • single handgun (+ammo)
    • bullion, jewellery, and other high-value/sentimental items

in such a way as to not only satisfy the RCMP's legal requirements, but exceed them; while also making theft of the contained items highly difficult and unlikely.

Surely I'm not the only apartment-dwelling sport-shooter (whether aspiring or actual) out there; so... thoughts?
    *and; to be clear: I currently do not own any firearms; nor am I licensed to (yet). I am merely researching at this point.
    For just a handgun + other smaller valuables, you can get smaller safes. The kind which are just a few cubic feet.

These safes have bolts or shackles of sorts on the bottom or back walls, I have one which has bolt holes on the back. I simply bolted this safe to the wall studs in a closet, in a very inconspicuous place behind some clothes. 4 1/4" or 3/8" lag bolts into studs means that safe isn't about to be ripped off the wall, one would need to break into the safe itself, which will take time & tools. That's about as secure as you're going to get.

Remember that there's no device in the world which can totally prevent theft. But you can make it difficult enough to not be worth it. Especially if a would-be thief would need to not only break into your apartment building, but then into your apartment, and then use power tools loud enough to alert everyone in the vicinity just to get into the safe.

Just my $0.02