Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Chinses Ammo Surplus Corrosive or Non Corrosive 7.62x39 9mm

So is this stuff from the 1980's truly non-corrosive?

http://www.leverarms.com/products/ch...us-7-62x39-fmj

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHands13 View Post

I'm curious as well

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Phat Eagle's Avatar
    This ammo has been best to death... Lever swears up and down its non-corrosive. I (and many others) completed my own bright nail test on it. I found that roughly 1/3 was corrosive in the 50 or so rounds I checked.

No thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Eagle View Post
    This ammo has been best to death... Lever swears up and down its non-corrosive. I (and many others) completed my own bright nail test on it. I found that roughly 1/3 was corrosive in the 50 or so rounds I checked.

No thanks!
    Hmm, that's a shame, but thanks for sharing your results!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jmichelin84's Avatar
    I have to ask the Romanian surplus, is it corrosive or non?
    Is it wrong to love the clack clack bang, but wanna run from a click tick lol

CGN Ultra frequent flyer ShawnC6's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jmichelin84 View Post
    I have to ask the Romanian surplus, is it corrosive or non?
    corrosive

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jmichelin84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShawnC6 View Post
    corrosive
    Damn, I gotta clean the sky rifles again then lol, need more nitro cleaner tho
    Is it wrong to love the clack clack bang, but wanna run from a click tick lol

CGN frequent flyer
    Corrosive

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyHands13 View Post

Lever arms says in their website that their non corrosive Chinese surplus is 1980s production. I might be wrong, but I understand that the two numbers stamped on the case represent the production plant number and the year it was produced. Based on this, the crates that I've gotten seem to be produced in 2007 and 2008 in plant #61. See for yourselves:

Quote Originally Posted by Phat Eagle View Post

No thanks!
    This is probably the 6th or 7th time I post this same report in different cgn threads...

This is the ammo that I use on paper targets on our tacrifle matches, phateagle. I use other lead cores for steel targets.

Lever arms surplus Chinese did turn out non corrosive for me. I've had about 1,600 rounds of it through my CZ858 and there's no trace of any corrosion anywhere. And I've left it dirty, marinating in the burnt residue of this surplus for many days and on several occasions. I even documented it with pictures on another thread.

Here's said report:
    While non-corrosive, this ammo did leave, IMO, more than the usual amount fine soot that got everywhere. For lubrication I usually use a heavier, more viscous oil. When the soot is mixed with this oil, it forms a black grease like substance - see image of piston at the base where the spring would go. I don't think this is detrimental to function. It just looks nasty. From now on, I'll only use G96 for lubrication on the CZ 858.

After the 275 round session, the piston face that receives the full direct brunt of gases had a rough surface. I lightly scratched a little bit of that roughness to find out what kind of residue it was made of. It looks like it is made of leftovers from the copper wash. The scratches revealed reddish bright metallic color tone of copper. The opposing side on the gas cylinder didn't show any signs of this metallic copper residue.

Did not do any grouping on paper to test the accuracy, but I can say I was consistently ringing a 9"x9" gong standing offhand at 100m. I did find some cartridges that had some small dents somewhere in the case. I also found some split necks. In spite of these, all fired reliably except for one: there was one case of a failure to feed that was quickly fixed with a forward assist. Later on, as I was reloading the stripper clips I found a cartridge that had a longitudinally bent case. I suspect that the one failure to feed was also due to a longitudinally bent case.

All in all, I'm happy with the results. Please excuse the defective focusing prowess of my camera phone for macro close ups. I also tried to get good pictures of the inside of the barrel, but I was disappointed. Suffice to say that after 96 hours the barrel looked very clean giving out a very slightly dull shine. Now here are the photos of the dirty rifle after 96 hours: