Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 24567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Chinses Ammo Surplus Corrosive or Non Corrosive 7.62x39 9mm

BPZ manufacture military ammo and commercial ammo. Every military spec ammo have head stamp with the factory number. BPZ is 17. You are correct that the present days commercial ammo in question is lacquered steel case and may not have proper head stamp just logo.
    Cheers
    NON SERVIAM

CGN Ultra frequent flyer City Boy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slamfyre View Post
    Even if Lever guaranteed this ammo, and after firing more than 1600 rounds of this stuff, I'd say that collecting the defective stuff and then heading out to downtown Vancouver to get my 21 cents per round is just not worth the gas I'd use up driving. As I said before, most cracked necks week fire fine. And the very few rounds that will not chamber do not make a significant economic impact to bother about it.

Oh, I wouldn't bother trying to return it either; I was just answering Westrifles inquiry about returns to the best of my knowledge.

A few duds at the gravel pit is not a big deal, but I usually prefer stuff that goes bang with a little more consistency. Is the price low enough to make up for that? I hadn't looked at prices of 7.62x39 for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by 05RAV View Post
    Comparison 7.62x39mm Tulammo vs. Barnaul
    What's odd is that on the TulAmmo site all the photos show their cases as sort of grayish, not really green, so it's hard to tell from the pics. If I was going to buy based on that, I'd be guessing they were maybe zinc plated, like some of the MFS stuff, although MFS zinc plating is more shiny. You'd be misled somewhat by the TulaAmmo advert pics. It would be nice if they actually said in words on the advert what the coating was to clarify the poor photos.

Practically though, does anyone know or have experience in how fast and hot do you need to shoot an SKS or a Vz58 to get the green lacquer to melt and then cause you problems? I am assuming that, say, if you were doing slow, deliberate shots at a range, say, when sighting in a scope, you may never notice this, as the system won't heat up a lot.. But then once you're good to go, and start some more rapid fire, the problem may arise? I have some of the green Barnaul stuff, but haven't used any of it yet, so I'm kinda keen to know. How often does it cause jams, fail to feed, etc? Any practical experiences and feedback would be appreciated.

I have been shooting mainly Barnaul FMJ in my SKS and haven't had a single failure as of yet. Have used an easy 200 rounds of it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 05RAV View Post
    Comparison 7.62x39mm Tulammo vs. Barnaul

Quote Originally Posted by El_Monty457 View Post
    What's odd is that on the TulAmmo site all the photos show their cases as sort of grayish, not really green, so it's hard to tell from the pics. If I was going to buy based on that, I'd be guessing they were maybe zinc plated, like some of the MFS stuff, although MFS zinc plating is more shiny. You'd be misled somewhat by the TulaAmmo advert pics. It would be nice if they actually said in words on the advert what the coating was to clarify the poor photos.
    Practically though, does anyone know or have experience in how fast and hot do you need to shoot an SKS or a Vz58 to get the green lacquer to melt and then cause you problems? I am assuming that, say, if you were doing slow, deliberate shots at a range, say, when sighting in a scope, you may never notice this, as the system won't heat up a lot.. But then once you're good to go, and start some more rapid fire, the problem may arise? I have some of the green Barnaul stuff, but haven't used any of it yet, so I'm kinda keen to know. How often does it cause jams, fail to feed, etc? Any practical experiences and feedback would be appreciated.
    Tulammo which I show in my post is the one which I ordered from Tulammo website. The color of the coating is grayish-greenish but it's not a raw zinc plating like you see on steel sheets. When I inspect the Tulammo coating under a magnifying glass, it looks like sort of polymeric paint. It's smooth but matte. Unless it's first zinc plated and then painted.
    However, this is not the point. My point was to respond to some misleading comment by westrifle_sks that the Tulammo cartridge cases are copper coated which is NOT the case.
    Now regarding melting of the coating. It seems to me that it's another BS. I've been shooting both Tulammo and Barnaul in my SKS and the Zastava M85. How fast you can shoot the SKS which is limited to 5 rounds? Even if I shoot all 5 rounds one after another I have never seen any melting of the coating on both Tulammo and Barnaul cases. If I shoot the Zastava M85 the shooting rate is even lower than that for the SKS. However, the Zastava's chamber is pretty tight so sometimes I can see a bit of scraping from the coating but it's have never caused any adverse effects. I clean my guns after shooting, anyway.

Further to my post above I made a quick research and found that the cases of Tulammo cartridges are coated with PHOSPHATE POLYMER COATING regardless of the caliber.

Sorry for delay. how do u post pics on here? The stamp on my ammo is either 80/19 or 61/08

Quote Originally Posted by bluevalley84 View Post
    Sorry for delay. how do u post pics on here? The stamp on my ammo is either 80/19 or 61/08
    I think that could be a reason why lever is saying the ammo was produced in the 80s. They could've interpreted that it was produced in plant 19 in the year 1980. I discarded that after I opened the second create and it was unmistakably stamped 61/07. My third crate was stamped 61/05, which further reinforced my suspicions this is not 1980s ammo, buy rather new millennium ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamfyre View Post
    I think that could be a reason why lever is saying the ammo was produced in the 80s. They could've interpreted that it was produced in plant 19 in the year 1980. I discarded that after I opened the second create and it was unmistakably stamped 61/07. My third crate was stamped 61/05, which further reinforced my suspicions this is not 1980s ammo, buy rather new millennium ammo.
    That's exactly what I said in my post #72 :
    "The Lever Arms' website says: "1980's export production". I guess that this is a mistake arising from reading upside-down the headstamp which would then show 80/19. But I'm not sure.
    Definitely this is new millenium ammo. Strangely enough, I already received 2 crates and both are 61/08, i.e. the 2008 production year. Nothing from 2005 or 2007.

Stop the import of less expensive ammo = cost prohibitive to the consumer
    In Canada cost prohibitive firearm control scheme has been in place for a while, UN marking regulations will increase prices further = continuation of cost prohibitive firearm control
    - Elite System Performance
    - IPSC-IDPA-CSSA-CCFR-NFA-CGN ~ DVC ~
    - Slow is smooth, smooth is fast
    - Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.