Got My Alaskan Scout: Doesn't Look Right

close range

CGN Regular
Got my Wanstalls 2nd run 12" Alaskan Scout Takedown today. Excitedly unboxed it and was shocked at the state of the rifle:

image_zpsf4a8be97.jpg

image_zpsc2a7cabb.jpg

image_zps38d79d52.jpg

image_zpsffb1639a.jpg

image_zps611bc214.jpg

image_zps6ee9c0d4.jpg

There is absolutely no oil or grease on the gun. It is bone dry. It looks like the little brown spots are the beginning of corrosion. They are small pits in the finish. I applied a touch of G96 to one little spot and it didn't take it off.

After spending $1400 on a brand new gun this is shocking. It looks used and put away wet. There were no O2 absorption packets in the box.

Does anyone else's look like this? This is the first hard-chromed finished firearm I've purchased, is this normal?

Looks as if the plating was not done well, and has pores.
Have you contacted Wanstalls?

Just got the gun and wasn't sure if this was considered an "acceptable" finish for hard chrome.
Will be talking to Wanstalls first thing in the am.

It doesn't look brand new at all. Even a display model should be in much better condition. I'm sure the company will be helpful in the exchange process.

Being Chiappa that doesn't really surprise me.

That about matches my experience with Chiappa QA/QC.

Let's see re my experience with new Chiappas bought from CGN dealers...

92 No.1 - chunk of metal broken off the bolt at the extractor pin. Loose take down fore-end out of the box, cracked stock.

92 No.2 - oversize, improperly cut front sight dovetail, so bad the sight fell out when removed from box. Take-down for-end loose out of the box. Stock cracked in a different spot.

There won't be a Chiappa 92 No.3 ;) Better luck with the Rossi stuff!

Back
Top Bottom