Sapr?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way to mount a bipod on the current version of the 'Canadian' SAPR is by attaching the handguard picatinny rail. The carbine length handguards will not fit the 'full size' handguard bipods.

Kampfhamster, have you shot the HK MR308? if so how did you like the SAN compared to the HK? For me there is not much to compare other than the calibre. the SAN beats it in every way, except maybe pinpoint accuracy. 1/2 MOA edge goes to HK

SooOoOOo anyone running a betting pool on how long it takes for the FRT?

I say 6 more weeks

Due to expense, not many will make it into private hands, and its not far off from a platform that has a good history with the FRT classification. My bet is it comes in as NR for a while

That would be awesome, i'm still trying to figure out what glass is available for this, might end up just putting my s&b shortdot 1-4x on there until it's big brother is available (if), but then that robs my AR of it's glass... ugh, what are you thinking of putting on it?

Kampfhamster, have you shot the HK MR308? if so how did you like the SAN compared to the HK? For me there is not much to compare other than the calibre. the SAN beats it in every way, except maybe pinpoint accuracy. 1/2 MOA edge goes to HK

to me, it handles a bit like a 551 LB, just with more recoil.

Haven't had the chance to try out the HK rifle, so I can't tell you how these two compare to each other.

for now NF 3.5-15 x50, in time the S&B 1-8. in a larue lt 104 mount.

I am looking at mounting the same kind of optics. NF 2.5-10 x 24/32 or 3.5-15x50 (the latter may be a bit too heavy and bulky). The S&B sounds just about perfect.

I looks like a NF 2.5-10x24 mounted in the above pic ?

the NF 2.5-10x24 is a pretty tempting choice also. the nice thing about NF is they match the ruggedness of the rifle, their stoutness is really hard to beat. its compact, on low power fov is very good, can still use it almost like a red dot and shoot with both eyes open all the way up to 4 power. just a great optic all around. I wish NF would make the nsx series in 1-10 that would be the optimum optic. To be honest any optic on this rifle would make me happy. heck a beeman 4 power will be fine, just as long as I can own the rifle in Canada.

my current favorite set up is a SAN carbine 17.9 with a NF 1-4x24. So in keeping with that would like a small compact optic on the SAPR, but with more mag, to match the ballistics.

I wish NF would make the nsx series in 1-10 that would be the optimum optic.

I called NF 2-3 months ago to know if they would release a 1-8x / 1.5-10x scope like Leupold and S&B. They said no. Seems that for now all their R&D staff are on FFP scopes, probably aiming more at the long range / sniper community.

I called NF 2-3 months ago to know if they would release a 1-8x / 1.5-10x scope like Leupold and S&B. They said no. Seems that for now all their R&D staff are on FFP scopes, probably aiming more at the long range / sniper community.

FFP is the flavor of the day. Works excellent in ranging so I imagine anytime the military can take the thinking out of the equation then its a bonus. I do think you will see a huge trend towards ffp for combat use, which is where NF excels. Their optics in the field under harsh conditions are very hard to beat.

FFP is all about the reticle. A good (H27) one can make a FFP awesome. Or you can find stuff like FFP scopes with weaver/crosshair reticles...

FFP is the flavor of the day. Works excellent in ranging so I imagine anytime the military can take the thinking out of the equation then its a bonus. I do think you will see a huge trend towards ffp for combat use, which is where NF excels. Their optics in the field under harsh conditions are very hard to beat.

The new revision of the S&b Short Dot 1.1-8 is trying to get the best of both worlds.
-2 MOA daylight visible red dot in the second focal plane.
-Mildot reticle ("Mil-Dot CC") in first focal plane

-Up close you can have a bright constant size red dot.
-Further out you can up the magnification and use the FFP reticle with the ranging advantages that allows under rapidly changing conditions.

First focal plane "Mil-Dot CC" reticle shown on the left:
ht tp://www.schmidtundbender.de/pm/1-8x24-pm-shortdot-8.html

A decent description of the scope from a US retail site. A bit hyperbolic but you can get the idea. Claims availability August 2011:
ht tp://longrangesupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3955

"Unique optical sighting technology to cover any potential environment. The 1-8 x 24’s reticle is located in the first focal plane, meaning it remains in the same proportion to the target across the full magnification range. A Schmidt & Bender FlashDot is located in the second focal plane, providing a precise illuminated red dot that remains constant in size. The FlashDot has eleven different intensity settings, from off to extremely bright. At the brightest settings, it is highly visible in glaring sun and against snow and sand. The lowest settings are designed for use with night vision goggles. When the FlashDot is turned off, the reticle functions normally. This results in an unprecedented combination of sighting options that will cover any application or environment the shooter could encounter; a standard reticle for use in normal lighting and precise shot placement at longer ranges, and the remarkable speed of the FlashDot, providing instant target acquisition in close-in and high-stress situations."

I've got a Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10 x 40 that will have to do for a while after dropping 6 k or so on the SAPR. Another possibility is my NF 1-4 x 24 but that is working well on my AR.
S&B 1-8 likely down the road.

If you come out to "Glock / NEA" Day this sunday, you may get to fondle the SAPR... who knows, one may end up on the line for T&E.

JR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom