SHOT SHOW 2013 PolyCase polymer cased pistol ammo

tootall

Rating - 100%
54   0   0
ht tp://polycaseammunition.com/

PolyCase has a line of ammunition that features a polymer case (with aluminum extractor rim), rather than the traditional brass or steel case.

DSC_5471.jpg

While this idea has been tried many times over the years, PolyCase claims they are one of the few to actually get their product to market.

The designer is from Spain, and Spanish law prevents civilian ownership of any NATO calibre, so currently there is no 9x19mm or 45ACP yet.
The only ammo currently is .380, but production is moving to the USA and 9mm and 45ACP will start very soon, likely within 2 months.

I had a chance to actually fire live rounds, rather than just admire inert show samples. It fires as well as any other ammo, as expected.
One difference I did notice was an ejected case landed on my arm, and did not feel at all hot. A brass case would have been very hot.

Advantages claimed are lighter weight, reduced cost (currently about the same as brass, but expected to drop once in full production), and the above noted lack of hot brass.

Last edited:
Maybe it can be reloaded but with different tools? Seems awfully wasteful. Even steel cases can be recycled.

While I welcome innovation, I don't see this system offering any signifigant advantage.

Unless they can demonstrate that this offers an improvement over traditional brass or steel cased ammo, I can't see it selling.

I think it's intended to just be cheaper as mentioned (currently same price as brass, but cheaper after it gets into full production.); it'd have to be significantly cheaper. If it was I'd definitely buy 9mm by the crate if it were at a substantial savings :D

This would make sense for military use. It's cheap, lighter weight, and no hot brass hitting other troops when firing. They don't reload while at war, at least I don't think they do. But to get a military to use more plastic might be a tough sell at first.
I would buy it

Interesting product. But was 45acp ever a NATO round? As I understand it though it was used by military's there is no "NATO" designation or version of it.

Brass is very attractive for pricing when reloaded. Consider the number of cycles you get out of one piece of brass. Therefore, this poly case has to be cheaper than that per use price to be competitive for reloaders. For production ammo, however, it may have immediate benefits.

I sure wouldn't want to have to invest in new reloading gear to deal with the poly if I could help it, but it would probably be just a set of dies.

I'd be interested in knowing some of the tech details such as reliability of the head staying attached to the rest of the case.

Obviously we'll have to wait and see but it is pretty cool to see innovations like this.

Interesting, although unless it's substantially cheaper then normal brass cased ammo I don't see it catching on.
Copper is trading for a ridiculous amount per ton and with the demand for it still heavily increasing brass isn't getting any cheaper, so who knows, we might be seeing a lot more of this in the future.

if its cheaper, and works really well, then yes, I'm all over it in 9x19. Or if they want to call it 9mm Luger or 9mm Parabellum I don't care :)

If you could get in in 1000 round packs for less than $200, it would be cheap enough even if it wasn't reloadable. cheaper than .22mag

I'd be interested in knowing some of the tech details such as reliability of the head staying attached to the rest of the case.

when I was at the range, someone was trying to rip out the aluminum extractor rim.
No luck pulling it free, even with Leatherman pliers.

Very interesting. Would be fun to see a comprehensive test once this case gets geared up for American production, especially to see how hot that black polymer will get in the sun, and how well it deals with cold, and if there's a definitive cook-off point.

I am surprised and disappointed that Magpul is not the one bringing this to the market.

Back
Top Bottom