Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast

Thread: CFB Petawawa CQB Clinic 27-28 June 2015 - Debrief here! Pics up!

CGN frequent flyer Northern Amateur's Avatar
    I wanna go! When's the next one?

cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Amateur View Post
    I wanna go! When's the next one?

cheers,
    September 5-6

CGN frequent flyer Northern Amateur's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schumy View Post
    September 5-6
    I need to mark that in my calendar. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Amateur View Post
    I need to mark that in my calendar. Thanks!
    Make sure you register: http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...September-2015

I DO have a couple questions re: that new yellow quick-draw training aid that Barney introduced to us at this clinic:

Barney was using his yellow banana-guard at the DND base which is exempt from CFO regs. But if we buy one of those yellow thingies for our own use off-range, do we need to get an ATT for it from the CFO?
    Could we get in trouble for careless pointing of a banana? Are there any safe storage regs covering it? I also can't find a decent level-I retention holster for it.

LOL. And be sure to get some Magpul gear for your banana protector. They make a tactical banana protector holster, stage II retention. Gotta protect your banana, but make sure you've got fast access.

Anyway, a fantastic time to be sure. Thanks to Barney, Chalkriver and everyone who helped and attended. 100% worth it.

Now: to maintain the warrior mindset.
    “Now you know how I don’t like to use the sit down gun.” - Col Chestbridge

Thanks again to Barney, Morgan, my target partners and everyone else I met and chatted with.
    Learned lots and my notes-to-self were:
    1. need a sling plate for my AR and JR
    2. need a thicker butt pad for AR and JR to improve Length of Pull
    3. mag retention systems (flap or bungee) may be fine if you're jumping out of a plane, or crawling through the bush, but on a course firing line they are just in the way
    4. mag dump pouch is a handy (quick & lazy) way to gather your mags after patching the targets so you can safety for the next shooter
    5. rain is a nice way to keep cool while shooting; plus, the rifle looks cool with the steam rising off of it after the Mad Minute
    6. the Econolodge is too far from the base, my bad for going cheap

All in all, a great weekend and look forward to doing it again next year.

Oh, and keep the pictures/videos coming. I look great!

So, got to try a couple of techniques from the clinic today at my local range...confirmed two things...First, the "sight picture, sight picture, sight picture" exercise really tightened up my standing offhand groups...significantly...Second, modified prone really freaks out the RSO's....

Quote Originally Posted by chrisward3 View Post
    My only complaint would be how deliberate the transitions and the urban prone were. I would like to have been able to transition naturally and drop to an urban prone position in an urgent manner, and found the artificiality of clearing weapons or getting comfortable in the urban prone to take away from the reality of the drill itself. I do understand its a safety issue, and saw some shooters be very liberal with their muzzle direction during these drills, but it might be something to improve on for the next course.
    I agree with Chris on this, safety is our primary concern, but it would be nice if we could do transitions without stoppage. If I can make a recommendation, the safety relay need to be A LOT more aware of what they need to do and be very vigilant with their assigned shooter. Chris mentioned seeing a lot of shooters being liberal with their muzzle direction, I noticed that some the safety relays were too far from the shooter.

I think that with some modifications to the way the safety relay cover the shooter we can add a bit more fluidity and remove some stoppage from the course of fire.

The safeties should be aware of what exactly to look for, this way we mitigate shooter error due to inattention. We should do clear demos of what to look for when clearing a shooter.
    The safety needs to be right behind the strong side of the shooter and not 4-5 feet behind, as some were last week.
    The safety relay and not the shooter makes the call when it comes to continuing through the course of fire, they are responsible for CORRECTLY verifying that the shooter's weapon is clear before allowing any transition. The shooter's responsibility is to clearly show his safety the cleared weapon.
    Lastly, but probably most important of all, the safety should not be pressured to clear his shooter as fast as possible.

Some shooters may be stressed during the exercises, the safety should act as a guide for the shooter throughout the course of fire, and assist with clear commands. We're ALL there to learn, not to fluff up our "operator" ego.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 LastLast