Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: CFC approval time

Well an update from me. Recieved my LATT in an email today. Just a note. My purchase was a private sale so maybe that has an impact on how long it takes. Good luck to all that's still waiting.

I'm under the impression you need a membership inorder to get approved.

Quote Originally Posted by Stooge View Post
    Where are you buying guns from? I wouldn't mind saving the membership fee thats almost as much as a gun itself.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshow View Post
    I just had a restricted transfer approved.

According to the transfer notification, it was submitted by the seller Sep 5. On the phone the CFC told me it was approved Sep 11, which would be 5 business days. However, the transfer notification is dated Sep 13, which would be 7 business days.
    Is that through a business or private? Mine (a private deal) was submitted on the 4th and still not approved. This is the longest I've ever gone (and I do have other restricted/LTATT/club membership). Complete crap...
    μολὼν λαβέ

i made a purchase of an ruger sr9 on aug31 and still waiting(BC)
    a 50 year old man who sees the world the same as when he was 20 has wasted 30 years of is life

2 Weeks plus a day for my last transfer from Alberta to me in BC. Now the seller has left town for work so it will be over a month I have waited for my handgun. Terrible service.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Brordo View Post
    Is that through a business or private? Mine (a private deal) was submitted on the 4th and still not approved. This is the longest I've ever gone (and I do have other restricted/LTATT/club membership). Complete crap...
    The seller was a business.

Have you called in? They told me that they at least try to process them in the order they are received. If you explain that you have talked to others who have initiated the transfer after you did and already had theirs approved, then they may look into it.

Wait period could be shorter if you already have a long gun license depending on your CFO.

You don't need a ranger membership to buy a restricted. Most provinces require one to issue a LTATT but not to own a restricted:

Here is a the wording directly from the RCMP/Firearms Program:

Permitted purposes for a restricted firearm

There are a few purposes for which individuals can be licensed to acquire or possess a restricted firearm, the most common being target practice or target shooting competitions, or as part of a collection.

Criteria for each purpose

Depending on which purpose is claimed, there are specific criteria that must be met, as follows:
    Target Shooting Practice and Competition

To be authorized to have restricted firearms for target shooting purposes, an individual must provide proof that he or she practices or competes at an approved shooting club or range. For more information about approved shooting clubs and ranges, contact the appropriate provincial or territorial CFO by calling 1-800-731‑4000.
    Collectors of Restricted Firearms

To be authorized to have restricted firearms as part of a collection, an individual must:

Know the historical, technical or scientific features of such firearms in their collection
    Consent to occasional inspections of the place where their collection is stored
    Comply with regulations dealing with safe storage, record-keeping and other matters related to restricted firearms.
    That quote is from the RCMP Firearms Program:
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/restr-eng.htm
    Family comes first!

cfc bc

Ive bought 4 handguns this summer in BC and the CFC is more interested in their staff taking summer vacation than working with the public it seems. It is quite annoying actually. Im sure more government pay raises and employee benefit increases will more than solve our dilema in bc!

thump

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Xman View Post
    You don't need a ranger membership to buy a restricted. Most provinces require one to issue a LTATT but not to own a restricted...
    While you are technically correct (the Firearms Act and related regulations don't require a range membership), you do require permission from the CFO to purchase a restricted. And in BC, the CFO has a policy of not approving transfers if you don't have an LTATT.

Ridiculous? Of course. If it weren't ridiculous it wouldn't be the law.