Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you hike with a rifle?

Can you hike with a rifle?

Hey guys, I am looking into backcountry hiking/camping at provincial parks and is wondering if we can carry a rifle with us to have some fun in remote areas.
    example. Cathedral Provincial Park,

Cathedral Provincial Park is open to the discharge of firearms from August 25 to April 15. The Core Area of the park is closed to the discharge of firearms. Hunters are permitted to carry unloaded firearms or bows only when in transit to an open area outside the Core Area during lawful hunting season. Please check the BC Hunting and Trapping Regulations for more information. Horses are only permitted from Ewart Creek to Twin Buttes and their use requires a letter of permission.

I was thinking we could hike out of the core area with rifle unloaded and start shooting after. Could you guys give me some insights. Thanks!

I am interested in this topic...I have looked into doing the same myself as the Vancouver area in BC is lacking ranges!

I find that BC has a very poor system for informing people about discharging and carrying firearms. I have emailed and talked in person to the RCMP, BC hunting, Canadian Firearm Program. I get different results each time and sometimes conflicting. I live on Vancouver Island and I have been told by my rcmp detachment to just go up in the mountains past highway 19 and the hydro lines and that is fine.

Check with the hunting authorities in your province. Game wardens are inclined to assume anyone with a gun in a wilderness area is hunting or poaching and provincial hunting regulations concerning when/when/how you can transport a firearm go well beyond criminal code limits.
    EOSC.ca

Basically, no. You can only carry a rifle in parks in BC that allow hunting, during the season.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/faq/

BANNED
    "...only when in transit to an open area outside the Core Area during lawful hunting season..." Seems pretty clear. No firearms at all in National Parks. Nor, usually, Provincial Parks unless there is a hunting season in said Park.

CGN Regular
    You can transport a gun through a national park. It all depends on your destination.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Generally speaking, You are allowed your gun, unless you are not.

By that I mean unless there is something that specifically prohibits using a gun (such as being in the park between April and August) then you are fine.

Typical things that will prohibit you from using a gun include city bylaws, All National and many Provincial Parks, and being within X distance of a highway.

Also I wouldn't be surprised if you were not allowed to discharge a firearm in the park unless its for hunting purposes (ie no target practice) so you would need a license and tags, plus be in season for something. No idea on this one, but it sure wouldn't surprise me...
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Most people's enjoyment of hiking in parks does not include sharing the space with recreational shooters.
    Archery?
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnt_servo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dHb View Post
    Game wardens are inclined to assume anyone with a gun in a wilderness area is hunting or poaching
    actually that is a attitude that I sincerely hope stays out east and doesn't migrate out here .

I have never had a issue with packing a firearm in the bush without a valid hunting licence , outside of any hunting season . ( it seems to me if I was doing this in Ontario I would be charged with poaching or attempted poaching or some other bull**it ) .

the last time I ran into anyone in the bush was a couple federal fisheries guys and they didn't even mention a thing about the rifle sitting on my quad .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast