Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: New Product Announcement - 2 way radios

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Deckard's Avatar
    If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding!
    Listen, and understand. That Liberal is out there. It can’t be bargained with. It can’t be reasoned with. It doesn’t feel pity, or remorse- only fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until your guns are gone.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer randyhub's Avatar
    I just programmed mine all with the same frequency.

These are nothing like CBs or FRS radios, you need to be careful how and where you use them, they are not toys.

Problem is if you do not respect the frequency usage it messes it up for those who do.

Getting a HAM license is best or at very least spending time with those who do, will help a person understand how important UHF and VHF are for communicating.

Quote Originally Posted by legi0n View Post
    nope, these have no channels.
    when you study to pass the exam for the licence you learn how to select the communication frequencies.
    Nonsense.
    Noli Illegitimi Carborundum
    Member: CSSA, CCFR

μολὼν λαβέ

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyad Pitchaya View Post
    Get a Nagoya 701 antenna for these radios. The stock rubber ducks are crap
    Watch out for the knock-off Nagoya antenna's: I've ordered a bunch of Nagoya's and some of them are worse than the stock antenna's that came with my UV82's.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by BabySeal View Post
    Can am, when you get the cables, please ask for and share the latest drivers for them. I had a helluva time finding the right driver last time I programmed my radio and with a new computer, I am going to have to go through the process all over again.

Once that is sorted chirp works great.
    I had similar problems with driver issues. Rather than wrestle with driver issues on my primary computer and risking all sorts of headaches, instead I took an old laptop and installed Ubuntu on it. Chirp works great on that old workhorse and in my experience, Ubuntu has less headaches than Windows and OSX when it comes to the USB driver needed for the inexpensive Baofeng programming cables. (Tried Centos and other linux distros too, but they were a lot more work to get sorted with CHIRP and the cheap USB to serial chipset used in those Baofeng cables)

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by randyhub View Post
    All in all, these radios cannot be beat for value, Canada Ammo made a great choice here.
    Totally agree. Hard to go wrong with a Baofeng given the price/value. I particularly like the UV-82HP (called UV-82HX when ordering direct from China) and if Canada Ammo starts stocking that model I know of 2 people who are looking to buy some.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Brocolt View Post
    So if my employer has a license for the frequency channel which we use for work & we do, can I run this radio on our frequency channel?
    I recall looking into this and if my memory is correct, the rules state that you can only use radios approved by Industry Canada for use on the commercial frequency licensed to your employer. ie. You are not supposed to use your personal ham radio to tune into your employers commercial frequency and transmit. That being said, I don't know how anyone would ever know that you were doing this unless your handset was shoddy (sending out "spurious emissions", etc) and IC was called in to investigate.

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by imark93 View Post
    Okay if I buy 2 can I easily talk with my buddy while hiking/camping? Just turn it on, select channel and go?
    Yes, The 888 is the model for you if you just want point to point.

CGN Regular
    I see the HAM band getting tossed around but these don't stop there. They range through pretty much the whole commercial, government, HAM, private license and Marine VHF and UHF frequencies. If caught transmitting(causing interference) on a regulated frequency, you could find yourself with some hefty fines.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brocolt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grox6
    Watch out for the knock-off Nagoya antenna's: I've ordered a bunch of Nagoya's and some of them are worse than the stock antenna's that came with my UV82's.
    how do you like your UV82 radio as I'm thinking of this model or the UV-5R
    Last edited by Brocolt; 07-25-2016 at 01:22 AM.