Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ontario Ranges (GTA east specifically)

Ontario Ranges (GTA east specifically)

Hi everyone, I recently took both CFSC and CRFSC to get into the shooting sport, but I cannot find any range that seems to be accepting new members...they're all closed or MASSIVE wait lists. Oshawa club, Marksman, Orono, where else is there a range that is open to accepting new members? It is very discouraging, and for newbies, how is anyone supposed to get into the sport when nowhere is available? It is stuff like this that discourages people from taking the course, and having an interest in the sport. Thanks to all who respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus23 View Post
    Hi everyone, I recently took both CFSC and CRFSC to get into the shooting sport, but I cannot find any range that seems to be accepting new members...they're all closed or MASSIVE wait lists. Oshawa club, Marksman, Orono, where else is there a range that is open to accepting new members? It is very discouraging, and for newbies, how is anyone supposed to get into the sport when nowhere is available? It is stuff like this that discourages people from taking the course, and having an interest in the sport. Thanks to all who respond.
    You could try The Grange at Target Sports or the Aurora Gun Club.....
    Member: S&WCA, S&WHF

Business Member
    It's not East of the GTA but The Sportsmens Club Galt is accepting new members and there are many people joining from the East.

They have 265 Acres with 25-200 yard Handgun/Restricted, 25-200 Yard Rifle, Indoor, Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays ranges plus Archery and Fishing sections.

It's a bit of a drive from the East side but it is also a great club.

I am out in Oshawa, so I wasn't sure what would be reasonably close, but it looks like I will be way out of town anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SelectShootingSupplies View Post
    It's not East of the GTA but The Sportsmens Club Galt is accepting new members and there are many people joining from the East.

They have 265 Acres with 25-200 yard Handgun/Restricted, 25-200 Yard Rifle, Indoor, Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays ranges plus Archery and Fishing sections.

It's a bit of a drive from the East side but it is also a great club.
    Galt sportsman club is accepting all disciplines EXCEPT rifle. Those books are closed. I inquired just last week. Just a heads up.
    Member: NFA, CSSA

CGN Regular
    Peterborough Fish & Game Association, East of Peterborough : Peterborough Revolver Club, South of Peterborough : Union Rod & Gun out 115/35 way : Port Perry Gun Club (talk to Williams Arms): don't know their current situations on new members right now.
    "I've been offered a lot for my work, but never everything.", The Magnificent Seven
    "Nothing wrong with quiet.", Jeremiah Johnson
    CCFR CPC member ONTARIOPC member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    There is a real opportunity here to run a succesfull business, like Grange and Silverdale. The pent up demand for a convenient shooting facility is huge. I pay a very large annual fee to the Grange, double or triple what most people pay for their gun clubs, just for access to pistol shooting. A range with multiple disciplines that was a similar distance from Toronto would easily be able to charge the same or more, and have no shortage of customers.
    Last edited by TJspeller; 03-31-2014 at 06:49 PM.
    CSSA CCFR CPC

CGN Regular
    I feel your pain Maximus23,I have been waiting 2 years for something to open up in the east end and may eventually end up joining Galt. I have heard a lot of good reports on the club. In the meanwhile try Silverdale on the weekends.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeboarder View Post
    Galt sportsman club is accepting all disciplines EXCEPT rifle. Those books are closed. I inquired just last week. Just a heads up.
    Not entirely true, I am not suggesting that you were not told that but it is not 100% correct.

The Rifle section has a membership cap, that much is true. but they review the membership regularly and clear the waiting list as often as possible. Just last month they cleared the waiting list to zero and some people had only been on the list a week. The list usually clears every few months or so but there is no guarantee as to how long or short the wait will be.

If you only want to shoot non-restricted rifles then yes this will be an issue for you. If you shoot restricted's the handgun section is accepting members as are all other sections which you can use while you are on the waiting list for rifle, you just won't be able to shoot your rifle until you clear the list.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I think Union is accepting members and they are not too far from you. They're on the 4th concession East of the 115

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast